New DCI Board of Directors elected

I suppose they could try and hire their own small set of judges away from DCI to judge their small group of Corps every year on the same tours, but that sure would seem to be problematic for them to say the least. And I'm not sure how they'd keep the interests level up on their judges long term if all their judges were doing is traveling around the country from coast to coast, up to Canada ( as you suggested ), and judging the same 7 Corps 25-35 times in a row over a short 7-9 week summer tour. I'd say good luck getting DCI judges wanting to do THAT for very long.

eh,..............it seems to me it will end up like watching the Harlem Globetrotters,...........play the same team(s) every night, referees (judges) travel with you,..........Globetrooters always win in a (made up) nail biter,..........pretty soon we will see an MIM drum major getting on his mic and doing comedy with "Dopey the drum judge" after a staged train wreck that he causes,..........

• Like 1

Do the DCI judges sign a non-compete? Most of them judge in other circuits today, so I doubt it. And MiM would just contract from a pool. It's not like they would need the same judge at every show. I don't think it would be the grind that you describe. Am I seeing this wrong?

DCI judges could probably judge a group of 5-7 Corps that decide to go off on their own and compete against the same Corps at each show.... thats assuming that a lot of them woould want to do so. But I'm not sure their judging pool pool will be anywhere near as large as the current judging DCI pool that is currently available to DCI that are currently sanctioned with DCI. If the split up was acrimonious and DCI sees this small splinter group in competition with DCI, then certainly DCI could withdraw the rights to judge their DCI shows to any judge that decides they want to judge the same small group of 5-7 Corps all summer long for the next 40 years or whenever. There are LOTS of challenges for a small group to go and do this on its own, otherwise this group would have left DCI already by now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Jeff,

Blast! is just metaphor. This is about creating the NEXT highest level of presentation. To do something unlike what has been done before. Highly capable people (G-7) are striving to be at the forefront of the next big thing. We can never eliminate this type of thinking, nor should we . We can possibly temper it, demand to be included, but not eliminate it. In a way, this type of thing is kinda healthy.

highly capable people like the 7 have been trotting out the same thing over and over again, and any "innovation" they sinspire they get from something that already exists...marching band.

So please, tell me...what can they do to take it higher? More Philip Glass? More occasional melody done over top of body poses? More rehash our greatest shows shows?

that's one my biggest issues. The one guy who hollered about recycling the music of dead white guys keeps recycling the music of dead white guys, then throws out an ultimatum letter saying they don't know how to fix the mess they refuse to acknowledge they spearheaded, but then they want power.

I mean good lord, we have enough lunacy in politics.

• Like 2

so.....

You know stuff but you're not saying anything....

but....

You're saying things are worse but won't say why...

kthxithink blink.gif

patience. and if you read what others are saying, yeah all signs aren't pointing to all systems go.

Were the rest of the 20 mostly what we'd consider Open Class now? My memory is hazy, but I think so. In that context the defectors did represent a majority of the erstwihle Division I corps.

Yes. The rest included Pioneer and what we now call open class and all age corps.

highly capable people like the 7 have been trotting out the same thing over and over again, and any "innovation" they sinspire they get from something that already exists...marching band.

So please, tell me...what can they do to take it higher? More Philip Glass? More occasional melody done over top of body poses? More rehash our greatest shows shows?

that's one my biggest issues. The one guy who hollered about recycling the music of dead white guys keeps recycling the music of dead white guys, then throws out an ultimatum letter saying they don't know how to fix the mess they refuse to acknowledge they spearheaded, but then they want power.

I mean good lord, we have enough lunacy in politics.

I hear you, Jeff! But, this has little to do with what we think. We're not driving the bus! I find this type of behavior natural and, yes, sometimes helpful. To a certain extent, new and improved products do come from risk-takers. Sometimes these "movers and shakers" score big. Sometimes they bankrupt themselves. There's not much we can do, other than not buying tickets, and shooting our mouths off here on DCP. I've expressed my feelings directly with several key players. I'd guess you have, too!

Very much agree about "less than satisfactory" politics, in and out of drum corps!

I suppose they could try and hire their own small set of judges away from DCI to judge their small group of Corps every year on the same tours, but that sure would seem to be problematic for them to say the least. And I'm not sure how they'd keep the interests level up on their judges long term if all their judges were doing is traveling around the country from coast to coast, up to Canada ( as you suggested ), and judging the same 7 Corps 25-35 times in a row over a short 7-9 week summer tour. I'd say good luck getting DCI judges wanting to do THAT for very long.

Or who says they will even judge most of the shows. They could do something like have an audience vote and then have real judges only judge one or two shows a month and then a final "championship" show at the end.

Is DCI going to be paying out less to SE7EN corps at the end of 2013, on account of those corps having participated in seven fewer DCI tour shows?

Because DCI is where they currently ARE. They are OK where they are, they just want to make where they are better. I really don't believe they want to go someplace else. They're OK with DCI, they just see a better DCI for themselves and everyone else. They are working to that end. If they are wrong in their belief, there was an opportunity last weekend to reject them fully, to tell them to get lost, etc. That didn't happen, did it?

yeah they broke it, admit they dont have the solutions, they just want the power.

• Like 2

I hear you, Jeff! But, this has little to do with what we think. We're not driving the bus! I find this type of behavior natural and, yes, sometimes helpful. To a certain extent, new and improved products do come from risk-takers. Sometimes these "movers and shakers" score big. Sometimes they bankrupt themselves. There's not much we can do, other than not buying tickets, and shooting our mouths off here on DCP. I've expressed my feelings directly with several key players. I'd guess you have, too!

Very much agree about "less than satisfactory" politics, in and out of drum corps!

I hear you Fred, and it's obvious what we think is of little consequence. These guys are not risk takers though. Every move they make isn't risk, it's just further ensuring they have their cake and eat it too, while offering nothing innovative.

if what they had was so ###### great, you'd think they'd be shouting to the mountaintops about it. Instead what we have had is 2 years of TOC shows, which, well, from most reviews, hasn't been much of anything other than a show like usual with filler.

If they really have something new to offer...it's time to put up or shut up. Odds are, they'll do nothing but keep trotting out the music of dead white guys

• Like 1