What would YOU pay?

1. What would you pay?

$50 sounds ok for a one-time. Be nice hace a FN tier that included finals though.

2. Will this lead to a smaller live attendance?

No. I think it would capture those who already planned to miss finals live but I don't think it would influence very many travel plans. DCI Finals is a pretty expensive trip. Not too many on the fence about attending.

3. Would the availability of a live broadcast NOW result in a cancellation of your plans to make the trip in person?

No.

3. How many would actually buy into a broadcast like this?

I expect it would be the largest PPV of the DCI season.

4. Will this hurt DVD sales?

No. DVDs are add-ons, not substitutes.

5. Is it time to attempt this, given the economy, financial stability of corps, etc.?

Yes.

Copyright question - would the 'Sync Rights' issues that keep certain tunes off the disks be a legal impediment to streaming finals?

no because they show all of the other regionals

You don't need sync rights to stream? Something like that. Only recordings do you need sync rights. Over the summer they don't make edits until they turn the strem into VODs.

Yes I would pay. Nothing over 50 though.... it is just 12 corps on my computer screen.... and if there is a lot of internet traffic like last summer.... I might cut someone if my stream got interrupted.

I would love to go to finals... but Indy is a very hard city to get to... I almost drove out after Bones made finals... but realized 10 hours is a pretty ####### long drive...

Don't think it would hurt DVD sales at all.. DVD sales are hurting themselves at this point. Not much they can do about that.

I don't think it would have much to do with live attendance .. if you are really worried, have a regional blackout like MLB.TV does so you can't watch it if you live within a certain radius of Indy. But you might be cutting off some more revenue.... I know MLB would have an extra 100 from me if i could watch local games... but then again... they don't need the money....and they gotta keep the networks happy! DCI doesn't have to worry about that stuff.

They should already be doing this. In addition to what they got going right now. I don't think they could possibly lose any money on this!

Copyright question - would the 'Sync Rights' issues that keep certain tunes off the disks be a legal impediment to streaming finals?

The issue with rights comes from actually syncing the music with the drill on a DVD, Blu-ray, or archival video: not the actual live coverage. For example, in 2011 you could see Scouts' EMPIRE STATE OF MIND on all of the live streams, but on none of the videos on demand (and, of course, not on the DVD or Blu-ray).

Don't think it would hurt DVD sales at all.. DVD sales are hurting themselves at this point. Not much they can do about that.

THAT I totally disagree with. I think if DCI wants to continue utilizing DVD's and Blu-rays (especially Blu-rays) as a substantial revenue stream, I think they easily could.

All they really need to do is make them something other than the shows.

I was actually a little surprised that the Blu-ray from 2011 (the only year I own) was nothing but just the shows. With the amount of space on a Blu-ray, they could TOTALLY do what they used to with the DVD's:

* judge tapes

* designer commentary

* drum cam

* guard cam

etc

Here is what is on the 2006 DVD's, for example"

Video Options: Multi-Camera, High Camera (1-12 placing corps), Color Guard and Percussion Isolation Camera (1-6 placing corps only)

Audio Options: 5.1 Digital Surround (1-12 placing corps), Design Staff, Music General Effect, and on-field Percussion commentary (1-6 placing corps only)

Compared to the 2011 Blu-rays:

2 BD50 discs, featuring the top 12 World Class performances from the 2011 World Championships

2 Audio options

Dolby 6-channel Digital 5.1

DTS HD Master Audio

2 Video Angles

Directed, multi-cam

High camera

Special DCI Blu-ray menu design

SO much room for improvement!! I love the quality of the blu-rays, but I really think DCI could sell more if they put more features on them. They could keep the DVD's the 'stock' version, with no frills (as it is now, I think), but the Blu-rays could be packed with extras.

1. What would you pay?

If planets aligned, maybe $15.

2. Will this lead to a smaller live attendance?

Negligable

3. Would the availability of a live broadcast NOW result in a cancellation of your plans to make the trip in person?

No.

3. How many would actually buy into a broadcast like this?

Depends on the cost.

4. Will this hurt DVD sales?

No.

5. Is it time to attempt this, given the economy, financial stability of corps, etc.?

Yes.

Rights for "live" streaming or broadcast are significantly easier to deal with than rights for a "recording" or a "synced" video. I'm pretty sure performance of copyrighted works in a live setting is subject to mandatory licensing, ie, you pay for the rights, but you don't have to get anyone's permission. Arrangement rights, that's up the to corps to get, and if the composers don't want to grant it, that wouldn't affect the live performance situation anyway.

That's my understanding of the rules, anyway.

You don't need sync rights to stream? Something like that. Only recordings do you need sync rights. Over the summer they don't make edits until they turn the strem into VODs.

Yeah I think time-shifting of live broadcast/streams is subject to the same rules as the original live broadcast/streams, although that had to be fought for in the courts back in the 70s and 80s over VCRs, then again in the 90s or 00s over DVRs. The music licensing for sync to video is the reason a lot of DVD-sets of old TV shows took forever to come out, or were really expensive when they did, even if those same episodes were playing freely on broadcast TV in reruns.