What would YOU pay?

It has been hinted, DCI might be considering a live pay-per-view FINALS broadcast from Indy. I have great interest in being a customer. I'm not going to Indy this year. My audio/video set-up is very satisfying. I believe I am not alone in my desire to purchase this event pay-per-view. I stated I'd pay about $50 for that kind of viewing. How about you?

Then, there are other concerns and questions. Here's a few . . . my answers in bold.

1. What would you pay?

About $50.

2. Will this lead to a smaller live attendance?

Yes, about 2,000 people.

3. Would the availability of a live broadcast NOW result in a cancellation of your plans to make the trip in person?

No. I was not planning to go, anyway.

3. How many would actually buy into a broadcast like this?

10-15,000.

4. Will this hurt DVD sales?

Yes.

5. Is it time to attempt this, given the economy, financial stability of corps, etc.?

Yes. How else can we know if this is a positive addition?

The addition of a live, pay-per-view event could be a significant decision. I am anxious to hear what you think, and believe your opinions are valuable to DCI and the corps. Besides, we must keep DCP lively for a few more months, until we have scores!

Thanks!

Edited by Fred Windish

my answers

1. What would you pay?

About $50.

Maybe, but the amount of revenue gained by people who couldn't go would offset that and actually generate more revenue

3. Would the availability of a live broadcast NOW result in a cancellation of your plans to make the trip in person?

No. I was not planning to go, anyway.

5-10,000.

Yes. It may lead to download sales however, and with the sync and licensing issues, dvdsales will be hurt anyway

5. Is it time to attempt this, given the economy, financial stability of corps, etc.?

Yes. How else can we know if this is a positive addition?

1. What would you pay?

I think it's worth $50 or so. I would personally prefer to pay for it as part of a larger Fan Network package, however.

If it were possible, I personally would choose to see the show live. So I don't think it will amount to much of a drop in attendance.

Were I going it would not. I think being *at* finals is the reason to travel to finals. Watching finals is only a small part of that experience.

I think 10,000 is a reasonable expectation at $50. I think the main competition will actually be, not the physical seats on Finals night, but the quarterfinal cinemacast. Groups may well decide they'd rather pay for the PPV finals at a megafan's private home with cheap snacks and a 65" plasma screen and an ideal sound setup than go to the theater (which would mean losing multiple theater tickets for one PPV fee). Of course, not everyone has a theater show available to them.

Somewhat, but not as much as general lack of interest in physical media already is. Taking the risk of ending DVD sales altogether to drive interest in downloads and streaming may actually be the safer play. DVDs and Blu-rays are not long for this world.

There is a risk of harming other revenue streams, but we have to remember that this is a *new* revenue stream, as yet untapped. Physical media is on the way out, it won't be coming back. Far more people are interested than are able to travel to Indy. The fact that the quarterfinal cinecast is bringing in more people than there has ever been in physical seats at finals should tell us all we need to know about how much demand there is.

• Like 1

I would definitely do this when Finals are farther away from where I live than Indy is at this time. For example, when Finals were in California or Denver.

• Like 1

Thanks, Jeff!

We simply must be upfront about this kind of thing. No one learns anything from no response, or "politically correct" responses. I believe it's time for a live, pay-per-view. That won't happen unless others agree in a visible way.

I too would pay around $50 for it, maybe even more to some extent. I would always go to see it live first when I can, but think about the many thousands that can't get there for one reason or another. This would be a great option for them.

I see it hurting the quarter final cinema broadcast way more that DVD sales. But I would do both whenever I could, and I bet a lot would also. That's all I have for now!!

• Like 1

skywhopper,

Excellent point about the Quarterfinals broadcast. That's one of the items that needs to be balanced-in, for sure. I did the live attendance thing for many years. But, at age 62, and for other reasons, I don't want to make that kind of investment again. I also believe there are physically unable fans out there, and fans in far-distant places, that would be interested in a pay-per-view main event. Both of these groups probably would not do the quarterfinal theater view, anyway. Thanks for your reply!

Note: coming from a guy who hasn't seen a DCI show in years and not a fan of some of the new stuff..

I'd probably pay up to and including $50 but I'd want to see more than just the top 12. Always been a fan of the non-top and smaller corps so would pay the $$$$ to see what is going on in the OC and lower half of WC. Annnnnd see what the Hades is being done with the stuff I don't like....

For various reasons it's harder and harder to get to and sit thru a long time in a stadium or theater so being in the house would be a plus.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1. I would consider paying $49, but $39 would have me jump in a heartbeat.

2. I don't think it will affect the live crowd that much - having a QF broadcast didn't significantly affect ticket sales at quarters.

3. Not making the trip, but if I were, the fact there's an internet stream of the event would hardly impact my decision.

4. I'm guessing maybe 5k would buy it the first year. If that.

5. Might slightly hurt DVD sales, but as others have said, it's quickly becoming a streaming content sort of world.

6. Why *not* attempt it now? Has to be done at some point.

Mike

I'd be happy to pay more that $50.

In $ it costs my wife and I about $4,000 for the indy weekend which is why we only go on even years.

$50 + would be a bargain for me.