A spending cap, not a "salary" cap

Of course, they also marched G horns and guarded the colors back then, too. So transfer rules were just one of a long list of rules and regulations that have gone by the wayside in the name of "art" or "creativity".

I'm amazed that so few parallel the regs of almost every competitive activity (and performance activities, too) with the vacuum of (hardly) any regs in DCI.

Numerous examples abound where extreme talent and determination has overcome rules, regs, and laws of nature to excel or attain a goal. But in drum corps some seem to think no rules is best to attain excellence.

:blink:/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>

How can ( for example ) the Oregon Crusaders be expected to rise up thru the ranks of DCI today to someday win a DCI title if they lose some of their best groomed young talent every year to the now decades long established elites ? Its now impossible. Literally impossible. No new World Class Division Corps can lose some of their best few trumpets, a few baritones, a few snares, a few in the pit, a few guard, etc each and ever year to the elites and then be expected to move up to their level and beyond to win a DCI title. I think that if we are honest with ourselves we'd likewise come to the conclusion that it would be literally impossible to do now as well. This isn't the 60's, early 70's anymore where a new start up Corps... like the Blue Devils for example... could quickly move right up to the top and win it all.. Not counting the cash infused Star of Indiana 25 years ago, no start up Corps in the DCI era has ever won a DCI World Class Division Title. And without transfer policies implemented, we are not going to see it ever happen either... which is kind of sad in a way... knowing the utter hoplessness of such an attempt by any new World Class Division Corps that enters this Division.

Edited by BRASSO

Your premise here is not grounded in reality. There is not a single organized competitive activity that I am aware of which allows a person or team to 'use the resources they wish'.

Bah. Figure skaters can hire any costume designer, music editor, and show choreographer they happen to like.

Football coaches hire the staff and obtain players through free agency (and draft deals),

On.

And On.

And On...

Football coaches hire the staff and obtain players through free agency (and draft deals),

I'd be fine with the " free Agency " model if adopted by DCI and its Corps. As a matter of fact, it'd be a big improvement. For example, in the " Free Agency model " that you brought up the elite sport teams get the experienced talent they desire and compensation is then provided to the team that loses the player ( or at the very least, they release themselves of player's salary ) I like this model. Can you imagine if the NY Yankees got their Free Agent players AND the low placing teams got zip... zilch... absolutely nothing in return in such transaction process ? We'd see in a flash that the NY Yankees would begin to win as many titles as the Blue Devils currently do. Right now, the elites DCI Corps get the lower placing Corps talent and the lower placing Corps gets nothing back in return than the requirement to fill the spot with a new rookie to future train and groom in many cases for the elites. The process then replicates itself every year. No wonder the DCI Corps elites love this system.

Edited by BRASSO

Are we really talking about NCAA transfer rules? As if Alabama, LSU, Ohio State and a handful of other schools don't already dominate college football? As if Kentucky, Duke and a few others don't dominate college basketball most years?

Besides, some of you seem to be missing the real lesson of college sports. That is money does buy success. How else can you explain the inexplicable transfer of Nick Saban from LSU to Alabama. It wasn't for the academics. And it sure wasn't for the food.

It was for the money. Nor was it the only one. Urban Myers' arrival in Columbus, Oh., wasn't random selection. No, it was natural selection, the kind where the best mate with the best to create a legacy. Anyone who thinks there is a spending cap - or any other kind of cap - lesson for drum corps in college sports doesn't know the score.

HH

How can ( for example ) the Oregon Crusaders be expected to rise up thru the ranks of DCI today to someday win a DCI title if they lose some of their best groomed young talent every year to the now decades long established elites ? Its now impossible. Literally impossible...

No offense, but this is so disrepectful. How has Crown done it? Maybe it hasn't won the title, but No. 2 rates elite, no? How have Bluecoats done it? No. 3 ought to count as worthy, shouldn't it?

BD is an attractive proposition, I'm sure. The solution ought never be to make BD's proposition less attractive. The solution ought to be a more attractive Crusaders. I don't know about you, but I haven't given up on the power of talented people to turn lead into gold - or at least to make it seem so.

HH

None of these programs in their respective sports dominate the titles like DCI Corps do. Its not even close. The Duke Basketball team... as good as it is... has won 4 NCAA Titles since 1973. The DCI Blue Devils Corps, by contrast, has won 15 Titles in the similar timeframe. College Basketball interest would wane fast if the Duke Basketball team had a system in place like DCI does of no transfer rules for college basketball. College basketball fans are already sick of Duke Basketball after 4 titles.... 7 would send them right over the edge... and 8 would have them looking for another competitive enterprise to follow, (let alone 15).

Edited by BRASSO

I have a question for those who are in favor of a transfer fee. Each year there are afew threads started by a few people who audition for but get turned down by their top choice. The overwhelming response for this is advice to try smaller, or open class corps to get the experience or to work on what they need improvement in. I guess my question would be: If there was a transfer fee in place what advice would you give to someone in this situation?

I have a question for those who are in favor of a transfer fee. Each year there are afew threads started by a few people who audition for but get turned down by their top choice. The overwhelming response for this is advice to try smaller, or open class corps to get the experience or to work on what they need improvement in. I guess my question would be: If there was a transfer fee in place what advice would you give to someone in this situation?

Bah. Figure skaters can hire any costume designer, music editor, and show choreographer they happen to like.

On.

And On.

And On...

Bah yourself! Can figure skaters use their resources to utilize non Olympic sanctioned gear in the Olympics? Can NFL football coaches use their resources to bypass the NFL cap rules within the NFL? Point being is that there certainly are limits to using resources within all sanctioned competitive activities; and therefore within any sanctioned activity a person or team thus cannot use their resources 'any way' they want.

Edited by Stu

No offense, but this is so disrepectful. How has Crown done it? Maybe it hasn't won the title, but No. 2 rates elite, no? How have Bluecoats done it? No. 3 ought to count as worthy, shouldn't it?

The disrespect is not coming from Brasso; the disrespect is coming from the administration of the two corps you cited (Crown and Bluecoats); because by signing onto the G7 proposal which eliminated support for all Open Class Corps they by definition do not want Oregon Crusaders to have a chance to accomplish what they (Crown and Bluecoats) were able to accomplish.

• Like 2