"Tour of Champions" 2013

[/size]

I'm not sure how you're comparing their score to Open class corps considering that they're on a different set of judging sheets, but there is no doubt that they perform at a different level than other corps; that's okay. They are fulfilling their mission and are happy with it.

They were on the same sheets for Prelims.

If they perform at obviously different levels, they should not be in the same class.

• Like 2

Isn't it about the touring model that the group can handle?

And besides, they keep coming back to World Class regardless of how they do competitively. The administration must believe they're fulfilling the organization's mission for the kids. Nothing wrong with that!

It makes it difficult to sell World Class as truly major league if all the participants are not, in fact, major league.

Wouldn't it be a bit strange if Major League baseball had a standout minor league team just thrown in there?

• Like 2

Isn't it about the touring model that the group can handle?

And besides, they keep coming back to World Class regardless of how they do competitively. The administration must believe they're fulfilling the organization's mission for the kids. Nothing wrong with that!

And yet kids don't keep coming back...

While the same administration has been there since before I was a kid, what percentage of kids who start there actually age out there?

• Like 2

It makes it difficult to sell World Class as truly major league if all the participants are not, in fact, major league.

Wouldn't it be a bit strange if Major League baseball had a standout minor league team just thrown in there?

Didn't you get the memo ? You are not to compare DCI to professional sports on ideas, business practices, marketing etc as to what they do. The two are " different ", we've been told.

That said, if the G7 want to look to professional race car driving ( Nascar ) for ideas, business practices, marketing models etc well we can overlook this unexplainable confliction of the thought process and just learn to simply go with the flow and live with the confused logic. In the end it is a bit amusing to see how some posters can apply one set of restrictive standards in one application, then turn right around and abandon that same position and allow ... or support... comparisons of Drum Corps with what they do or don't do in professional sports when it suits their purpose. Lol!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

They were on the same sheets for Prelims.

If they perform at obviously different levels, they should not be in the same class.

Aha! Well you didn't say where the scores came from. That at least explains it! tongue.gif

They are in the same class because that's where they are approved to be.

In other circuits, performance levels also mean nothing. Maybe this isn't how it should be, but it is how it's done.

Not totally against you, but I don't want to shut the door on every corps that has different goals but meets the criteria for World Class versus Open Class...

• Like 1

I see your point from a marketing point of view. Although there are some pretty crummy major league teams... if there was some kind of draft for staff or members like in the NFL, Pioneer wouldn't keep coming in last. So just because one of the groups in the "major leagues" isn't up to snuff, I'd say it was a result of issues with the system. Pioneer should not be punished for deciding to keep marching World Class.

And yet kids don't keep coming back...

While the same administration has been there since before I was a kid, what percentage of kids who start there actually age out there?

What if that's not really their goal? Those kids who march in Pioneer and then go on to march other corps... they have a "World Class" tour under their belts. Educationally, that's huge!

• Like 1

Pioneer tours a bit, but are they really world class?

They are in World Class with Pacific Crest, Jersey Surf, Phantom Regiment, and Blue Devils.

Each performs at a different level of excellence.

World Class implies level of excellence, but in reality it is the level of travel...

Daniel, I get what you're saying, but that's not how DCI currently works. That's not the reality of things...

Thanks for posting, btw. It's interesting to me even if I don't completely agree with everything you're selling.

If the idea is a competition, especially, you have to have some rules in place, yes? What are the rules for Drumline Battle? Who are the judges? What are the standards? It's like saying "ok, here's a new game, throw a ball around", and leaving it at that, with nothing to give the participants guidance in terms of how and what to do in order to succeed.

Both ideas are very good concepts - but their rollout was not handled well.

The rules for DLB are very simple: No grounded equipment, 2 minutes each, followed by 1 1/2 minute "rebuttal". Judges are whomever the organizer chooses, from the local sponsor to the local band director to a judge in town to judge a DCI show. Standards? There are no standards. The only standard is to provide a way for kids to become involved in putting on a performance, then giving them a venue in which to perform. And remember, although it's a competition, it's based on entertainment. Entertainment doesn't require many rules. How many times have we been shown YouTube videos of street drummers, GaGa, and memes that have few rules but prove to be very entertaining?

I think you misinterpret the intent of DLB and SS. And you forget that the effort is modeled after the same type of programs now being done all over Asia.

I would contend that drafting a bunch of rules would dissuade the kind the involvement that the effort is intended to prompt.

Let the kids design, choreograph, and perform their own routines for strictly bragging rights and entertainment of the people around. Why does that have to be muddied up with a bunch of rules set down by adults?

• Like 1