Corps Moves

This x 1,000,000. When clean, this is the most impressive visual in the activity. I love it. I am also stupidly biased.

If memory serves me right it was because the young lady who first played the mellophone solos in the 1984 production - and played them exquisitely well - had an artificial left hand. The double move was needed to accommodate her. Not sure. Perhaps there might be a FMM from that era who can enlighten us ....

regards - Jim

If memory serves me right it was because the young lady who first played the mellophone solos in the 1984 production - and played them exquisitely well - had an artificial left hand. The double move was needed to accommodate her. Not sure. Perhaps there might be a FMM from that era who can enlighten us ....

regards - Jim

Actually, no. Barbara Maroney was in the 83 Cadets as well (and soloing), and they had two horn snaps down, one at 6:40 on the video I have. (The camera closes in on Nadia Younes in the mello line, but Barbara is right next to her, and you can see Barbara's bell snap down with everyone else), the other at 10:11...the camera's on the baris, but it's clearly a snap. I believe she also marched 82, when they did not have the iconic horns up/down

Yes it's a great and unique move.

Yes, Barbara only has half a left arm (83 the simply tied the fingers of her gloves around the bottom of the horn. 84 she had a claw that gripped the valve cluster. Don't know about 82)

But no....the iconic move was not made to accommodate her hand issue. People who claim it was to make it easier for her act like she couldn't move the horn at all. She was on a mello...not a really heavy horn (if it had been a bari I could almost agree with it), and she played her 83 solos supporting her horn with her right hand ALONE. In 84 her claw could allow her left arm to give some support...but this was not the case in 83.

Don't treat the fact that she was missing part of an arm equate with an inability to move the horn around, because that was clearly not the case. if it was, I don't think she would've stayed in for three (possibly more) years.

Cavaliers trumpets- jedi mind trick horn move

Cavaliers tubas- The spin out of a straight line into 2 directions while bringing the horn up (I know it has been done a few times)

Cadets- have the last 20 seconds or so be bumped in tempo and momentum as they come in and out of lines and blocks

BD- Their jazz run stands out to me

But no....the iconic move was not made to accommodate her hand issue. People who claim it was to make it easier for her act like she couldn't move the horn at all. She was on a mello...not a really heavy horn (if it had been a bari I could almost agree with it), and she played her 83 solos supporting her horn with her right hand ALONE. In 84 her claw could allow her left arm to give some support...but this was not the case in 83.

Don't treat the fact that she was missing part of an arm equate with an inability to move the horn around, because that was clearly not the case. if it was, I don't think she would've stayed in for three (possibly more) years.

Uh... so why did Donnie Van Doren say it was?

• Like 3

Pinwheels by anyone, but 27th's pinwheel during Danny Boy always got me

This x 1,000,000. When clean, this is the most impressive visual in the activity. I love it. I am also stupidly biased.

Only problem is..... it's never been clean tongue.gif

• Like 1