Price of gas

Hey, perc2100!

The rising price of gasoline is just one indication of a wider problem ahead. That being, inflation overall. When gas prices rise, that impacts the price of other things. In many cases, business passes along it's own increased spending for fuel over to the consumer. This is particularly true in the transportation of food. Corps will be hurt by higher expenses to feed the corps. If the bus breaks down, the repair shop might charge a little more for the usual solution, and the list goes on and on.

Had I known how to change the topic's title after I posted, it would have read "inflation" rather than gas. Inflation in my area is significant already, despite what is reported by the media. In response, I am trimming back several things I normally do. Living in Bethlehem, PA, I'll continue going to Allentown, of course, and Reading, Scranton drum corps shows. Beyond that, probably not.

1. I'm sure our European friends are probably laughing at us whining about $4 to $5 petrol prices. They'd kill for that.

2. This post made me realize how fortunate and grateful I am to work a large region for an immensely corps-friendly company. As such, I can, as much as possible, schedule my work around where the competitions are, thereby having the gas and tolls paid for. Win-win. Downside- Traveling just as much in the corps off-season doesn't get me home as much as I'd like, although I know seat prices for most every minor league hockey team on the east coast.

An immensely corps-friendly company? I'm updating my resume as soon as I post this. And I'll be needing the name and title of the HR guy.

HH

LOL. It's a household name, like Bubba Gump Shrimp. J/K The picture of the founder of the company is the avatar/profile pic for some on the DCP forums. Connect the dots! Not one to talk in riddles usually, but I respect our private culture within the company, and don't want to flat out say the name, so as not to associate it with any opinionated posts of mine that have been known to get "Add Reply'd" before I rationalize some sense into myself.

I can truly say that drum corps got me to where I am today, and mean it.

this... except mine is looking like one unpaid day every week.

Yeah... I screwed up when I posted.... unpaid day off every week for 22 (or whatever the lastest number is) weeks. Over the entire year it works out to day off every other week which is what I was thinking... but not what I posted. Now.... what's gonna happen when new fiscal year hits in Oct. :shutup:

Still waiting to see how this hits my retirement calculations which would affect future corps time.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

With gas prices as high as they currently are, and given historical evidence that prices will rise much more for the summer driving season, we could be looking at $3.90-$4.00 per gallon on the East Coast, more than $5.00 on the West Coast.

Question . . .

Are you planning to travel LESS to enjoy drum corps shows in person this summer?

I am. A 200 mile round trip will cost AT LEAST $40 for gasoline. One hundred ($100) considering IRS guidelines. Add in admission tickets, tolls, snacks, etc., and a fellow and his wife/gal attending a regular weekend drum corps show will run at least $150. Or, one needs to earn nearly $200 (before taxes) to cover such a trip.

Bring on pay-per-view!

I don't think much about the price of gas for my one excursion to Allentown (120 miles from where I live). It's an annual event that involves alumni mixing as well as the show. Whatever the additional price above what it's cost in the past, it's worth it to me. If the price of gas is a dollar more than last year, I'd only be paying $10 more. No big deal. That's the price of a glass of wine at dinner including tip where I live.

It's not like I'm going to cocoon in my house all summer.

If it were a problem, I could cut back on driving for other things to counter-balance the cost. Driving 2-3 less miles per week until the Summer could easily fund the trip. Ride a bike the next time your errand is only a few miles away.

Looks like you're warming up to Mr. D-Ray.

:ph34r:/>/>

if you call antartic warm

Hey, perc2100!

The rising price of gasoline is just one indication of a wider problem ahead. That being, inflation overall. When gas prices rise, that impacts the price of other things. In many cases, business passes along it's own increased spending for fuel over to the consumer. This is particularly true in the transportation of food. Corps will be hurt by higher expenses to feed the corps. If the bus breaks down, the repair shop might charge a little more for the usual solution, and the list goes on and on.

Had I known how to change the topic's title after I posted, it would have read "inflation" rather than gas. Inflation in my area is significant already, despite what is reported by the media. In response, I am trimming back several things I normally do. Living in Bethlehem, PA, I'll continue going to Allentown, of course, and Reading, Scranton drum corps shows. Beyond that, probably not.

add Downingtown to your list

barigirl, thanks for your response.

You touched upon what the response SHOULD be for all concerned. That is, if the cost of viewing drum corps in person rises, and that becomes a concern , one should respond by prioritizing, shifting funds for purchases, etc. Value is truly an individual thing. My point is, these are difficult economic times. Fans of our activity need to understand adjustments will be made.

Yes, Jeff, Downingtown should have been included on my list. Regardless, it all depends upon other options available to me that date!

smile.gif

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1