"what a Sound Sport team performance might look like."

Some of you old farts need to chill on the negative criticism about Sound Sport.

Notice all of the kids in the video, MOVING, rather than sitting on their fat as**es playing, or playing video games. Think of it too as possible preparation for marching drum corps. No??

Notice all of aspects of their performance. They get to prepare, perform, and have a great time. Is that all not good for them? Don't you think their parents were excited too?

It's the BEGINNING of SoundSport. Some things may not work and some may.

• Like 1

Way back in the dark ages....back when indoor was just guard...and a small group of drummers stood along the wall and played for the guard to perform to...early 70s...our high school band put together an "indoor band" strictly as an experiment and to do an exhibition at the contest we sponsored...playing and drill...we never saw them again... :shutup: Here we are over 40 years later and it's back...I suspect it will be more popular now....thanks...I think...to the influence of BLAST.

Sound Sport is year round, so your school could choose to not compete during band or indoor season.

Oh, cool! Didn't realize that. :smile:

If your ratio is that high, it really might be worth exploring SoundSport as an expansion of your program.

why not combine them all into 1 indoor show?

Didn't even think of that! That brings up something else... if I competed in SoundSport, my local circuit may lose my business if they don't allow the horn players to be part of the production. If there are a bunch of groups out there like mine, DCI may have changed the landscape of what indoor groups can be comprised of across the country.

Kids will go with what's providing them with the most fun and the biggest sense of accomplishment. The goal of you and others is to be sure the group you're associated with is the ensemble fulfilling those criteria. If you and others are doing that, you've got no reason for undo concern.

Truth! Thanks, Boo. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Some of you old farts need to chill on the negative criticism about Sound Sport.

Notice all of the kids in the video, MOVING, rather than sitting on their fat as**es playing, or playing video games. Think of it too as possible preparation for marching drum corps. No??

Notice all of aspects of their performance. They get to prepare, perform, and have a great time. Is that all not good for them? Don't you think their parents were excited too?

It's the BEGINNING of SoundSport. Some things may not work and some may.

Actually, the criticism of DCI's new and creative innovations appears to be age neutral from my initial observations. Those who embrace " change " should be on board with these 2 new ventures launced by DCI one would think. These new creations are not even off the ground yet. I say, lets see what happens. They have no effect on the current DCI formatting of DCI, outdoor, full corps competition either. I see no harm in launching these 2 new ventures to see how they work.. and I'm a fully qualified, age specific, " old fart ".

Edited by BRASSO

Didn't even think of that! That brings up something else... if I competed in SoundSport, my local circuit may lose my business if they don't allow the horn players to be part of the production.

Every indoor circuit should be figuring out how to support SoundSport groups that want to perform/compete during the spring season. If they don't, they are missing the boat in a huge way.

• Like 2

What's with the pre-recorded aspect? Um, no. If this much pre-recording/synth/whatever is allowed, I'm not getting into it. That's nothing more than winter guard where the members learned a few notes on brass instruments.

Next.

Yeah, I didn't get why it was its own thing. It's like having a jazz band AND a swing band.

• Like 1

Way back in the dark ages....back when indoor was just guard...and a small group of drummers stood along the wall and played for the guard to perform to...early 70s...our high school band put together an "indoor band" strictly as an experiment and to do an exhibition at the contest we sponsored...playing and drill...we never saw them again... :shutup:/> Here we are over 40 years later and it's back...I suspect it will be more popular now....thanks...I think...to the influence of BLAST.

That is absolutely right...I used to be one of those drummers with my GSC corps in 68 and 69. We played for our indoor guard all winter.

Does the lack of structure bother anyone else? I mean I get the whole design to please aspect, which I think is great, but I can see trouble with a group going out there and doing the Harlem Shake winning over someone doing Requim. Its kinda frustrating not knowing what Sound Sport really is or its purpose.

Does the lack of structure bother anyone else? I mean I get the whole design to please aspect, which I think is great, but I can see trouble with a group going out there and doing the Harlem Shake winning over someone doing Requiem. Its kinda frustrating not knowing what Sound Sport really is or its purpose.

Considering the purpose of SoundSport, which is largely to entertain the masses, I can't imagine a group performing any of the hundreds of "Requiem" selections out there. We want people to yell and scream their approval and I doubt that Joe and Mary Public and their kids are going to be screaming, "Yay, 'Requiem!'"

The purpose is to get thousands upon thousands of people to make music that people will come out in droves to enjoy. What it is will be whatever it becomes. It's supposed to unleash pure creativity and get people of all ages doing something they normally wouldn't be doing. SoundSport is a living, breathing creature that will evolve, mutate, branch out and regenerate continuously. Its unpredictability is what will inspire productions we can't even imagine at the moment, and it's flexibility will generate new ideas and a variety that will keep people coming back to see what's new.

Frankly, you know about as much regarding it as I do, but this is how I'm imagining it. And the glorious thing about it is I can be totally wrong! We'll all have to go see a few of them to get an idea what it's going to be about, at least before it changes.

Considering the purpose of SoundSport, which is largely to entertain the masses, I can't imagine a group performing any of the hundreds of "Requiem" selections out there. We want people to yell and scream their approval and I doubt that Joe and Mary Public and their kids are going to be screaming, "Yay, 'Requiem!'"

The purpose is to get thousands upon thousands of people to make music that people will come out in droves to enjoy. What it is will be whatever it becomes. It's supposed to unleash pure creativity and get people of all ages doing something they normally wouldn't be doing. SoundSport is a living, breathing creature that will evolve, mutate, branch out and regenerate continuously. Its unpredictability is what will inspire productions we can't even imagine at the moment, and it's flexibility will generate new ideas and a variety that will keep people coming back to see what's new.

Then why is it competetitive? It seems to me that competition inhibits creativity. Look at figure skating, guard, drum corps, percussion, marching band, gymnastics. All of these are judged activities which allow creativity, but only so far. At some point you just have to figure a out a layout or else its just mass chaos. This creates so many problems. Imagine being an ensemble who was leading all the way to "finals" only to get dropped to 10th place because the guys up top just didnt like your show. And you cant call BS because its based on tastes not talent.... If they are truely embracing creativity then they should just call it art, not sport.

• Like 1