"what a Sound Sport team performance might look like."

Then why is it competetitive? It seems to me that competition inhibits creativity. Look at figure skating, guard, drum corps, percussion, marching band, gymnastics. All of these are judged activities which allow creativity, but only so far. At some point you just have to figure a out a layout or else its just mass chaos. This creates so many problems. Imagine being an ensemble who was leading all the way to "finals" only to get dropped to 10th place because the guys up top just didnt like your show. And you cant call BS because its based on tastes not talent.... If they are truely embracing creativity then they should just call it art, not sport.

It's competitive because DCI is in the business of competitions. I believe your concerns will shake out themselves and the judges are going to be intelligent and experienced enough to know what's good as well as what's entertaining, in addition to being well prepared and well coordinated. WGI refers to itself as "Sport of the Arts." It's quite creative. It can be done.

I'm hoping we embrace the possibilities with enthusiasm and wonder rather than approach what we haven't yet seen with concern and trepidation.

Every indoor circuit should be figuring out how to support SoundSport groups that want to perform/compete during the spring season. If they don't, they are missing the boat in a huge way.

In theory that is a great idea, however if many circuits nationaly are like the ones around my area, the shows already start around lunchtime and go well in to the night every Saturday. It can be upwards of 10-11 hours of geeks in a gym already. There just isn't room on the schedule, unless they intend to knock out every dance team and majorette squad (I hope that actually happens, lol). I'm guessing that, especially in its infancy, having a soundsport group do exhibition during score tabulation is probably the most exposure they can get at the local circuit level the way it's structured now.

Since WGI is now split in to multiple championship weekends for guard and percussion already (and they don't even have the majorette or dance team stuff a lot of local circuits do), I'm not sure logistically it could work at that level. either.

In theory that is a great idea, however if many circuits nationaly are like the ones around my area, the shows already start around lunchtime and go well in to the night every Saturday. It can be upwards of 10-11 hours of geeks in a gym already. There just isn't room on the schedule, unless they intend to knock out every dance team and majorette squad (I hope that actually happens, lol). I'm guessing that, especially in its infancy, having a soundsport group do exhibition during score tabulation is probably the most exposure they can get at the local circuit level the way it's structured now.

Since WGI is now split in to multiple championship weekends for guard and percussion already (and they don't even have the majorette or dance team stuff a lot of local circuits do), I'm not sure logistically it could work at that level. either.

Too many performing groups is a great problem to have, imo. Maybe SoundSport will siphon off some of those indoor groups who are in WGI and other local circuits now but have always wanted to try something else that grates against the rulebooks.

No, it's really not hard at all. A large circuit such as you describe (I judge in TOB/TIA, so I'm familiar) could easily designate certain shows each weekend as SoundSport-friendly (any show host could make that call). I also don't think many schools would add a SoundSport group while keeping guard and percussion. Sure, a few might, but on the whole I think it's schools with smaller student bases or who are limited in one area (percussion or guard) who would take the plunge initially, or schools with forward-thinking directors.

I really believe that SoundSport has the potential to be the "next big thing" in music education, and when done right at the school level, could be a huge recruiting tool for band programs.

As for WGI, there's no reason for them to support SoundSport on any level, regional or national, though I suppose they could if they wanted to (if I was WGI, I certainly would try).

I'm still trying to figure all this out. Here it says the SoundSport performance area will be 50' deep and 70' wide, while here is states the SoundSport performance area will be approximately 30' by 30'. It's stated the area is to be determined, but that's a big difference.

My hope is that the performing ensembles don't get sucked into an "arms race" with things such as specially-produced floor coverings like what we saw in this video. Those things aren't cheap and could keep some groups from feeling they'd have a chance to make an impact when they arrive with a bare bones production focusing simply on the music. The "Fast Facts" states, "Enables affordable participation with low barriers to entry." I'm hoping those low barriers include minimal costs beyond getting on the bus to make it to the performance site.

We can probably expect that concerns such as these will be hammered out as everyone figures out just what is this new and exciting creature. Still, it's more difficult to pull things back.

Nothing would give me more joy than to see several ensembles from schools that traditionally don't compete due to limited economics to come out with a few kids and their instruments and rock the house down. Or, from youth centers, church groups, community centers and what the heck, nursing homes as well. Wouldn't that last one be a hoot? Seriously...such a group would would have the audience on their feet and screaming.

I really like the idea. I'm hoping to see DCI showcase the concept during the season at the larger shows. Showcasing to masses will help to generate more interest and spearhead performance ensembles.

There's an opportunity to create many such programs in the schools. Think about how much indoor drumline has grown. Back in my high school years the idea (indoor drumline) hadn't even been thought of yet - let alone high school band kids knowing anything about drum corps at all. Fast forward to today - it's completely different. Drum corps influence has permeated into many, many band programs throughout the country. Sound Sport is yet another vehicle to expand the brand. Also, for high schools that do not march competitive bands (Show Bands), Sound Sport can be a great alternative for kids who want a little bit more in performance.

The other thing that I like about it is that it's not restricted to school-age performers. There's a number of community bands out there could potentially participate as well.

Regarding the field/floor size, I've seen those same dimensions you've noted. It does seem a little confusing. That said, I'm sure we'll see things level-set in the near future.

I'm looking forward to this.

so,............when do soundsport contests begin?,..........I looked over at the DCI website, but don't really see much, tho I could be looking in the wrong place(s).........Is there an actual timeline to launch this and the drum battle thing?

also, has DCI collaborated at all with SDCA?,...........to me, it is largely the same sort of thing they have been working on for the last few years,............and it is sort of an evolution to what DCA (and MCA) has been doing with mini corps for the last 20 years,........

• Like 1

Does the lack of structure bother anyone else? I mean I get the whole design to please aspect, which I think is great, but I can see trouble with a group going out there and doing the Harlem Shake winning over someone doing Requim. Its kinda frustrating not knowing what Sound Sport really is or its purpose.

why does it have to be about difficulty? That's one of the issues facing drum corps now...the need for demand outweighs crowd appeal

What I see here is 25 kids who maybe hadn't known about marching music performance outside of football games had they not found the "winter horns" program shown here.

Actually, Ayala has had a very well structured and successful Marching Band for many, many years. I believe they even compete in more than one circuit, but if I'm not mistaken, they usually place pretty well in WBA.

Actually, Ayala has had a very well structured and successful Marching Band for many, many years. I believe they even compete in more than one circuit, but if I'm not mistaken, they usually place pretty well in WBA.

They're consistently a BOA GN semifinalist. I thought they made GN finals one year recently, but I couldn't find the year. Guess they didn't.

They're consistently BOA regional champions when they attend those ( 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2012)...

They're the 2011 & 2012 WBA champions. I don't think they participate in SCSBOA ( The other circuit in SoCal).

Their percussion ensembles are well known for excellence.

Their winter programs place very well medaling at least a coupe of times at WGI.

It's a quality program year round.

Just one interpretation of what is possible within the parameters given, folks.

If we start jumping all over groups as they experiment with this format, then we kill the spirit of SoundSport before we even get started. They want to open this to as wide a market as possible, right? Well, you're going to get a wide range of products. It's to be expected.

Wide market? We don't need no "wide market"! We should just limit the activity to a small subsection of talented music majors whose mommies and daddies can afford to send them across the country to compete via auditions for a few very select marching bands, while also footing the bill for their college education so Sissy and Junior do not have to get a summer job to contribute to the expense. Or has this been done?