"what a Sound Sport team performance might look like."

Amen. The second that SoundSport starts imposing rules (beyond the basics of performance space, time, and number of participants), the format will be dead. Let groups do whatever they want. They key is how it's judges, a subject on which we have zero details.

There is a bit of info on the judging aspects.

First, foremost, and finally, it's about entertaiment, not execution. I don't think it's likely that SS teams will sacrifice their music in order to meet some minimum visual requirements

Judges can be anyone, from the local sponsor to the local band director to a judge who's in town to judge a DCI show. With the emphasis on entertainment there's natural subjectivity, but there's no strict "sheet" to check-mark and adhere to, either. Judging is immediately decided after a confab of the judges (even with "help" from the audience).

Also, don't forget that SS and DLB are two-minute snips between two competitors, with 1 1/2 minute "rebuttals"; more of a "battle" between two units.

What I see here is 25 kids who maybe hadn't known about marching music performance outside of football games had they not found the "winter horns" program shown here.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think this video was intended to be some template; rather, an example. Would it get rousing support from music fans? Maybe. Would it when compared to another competing unit? Who knows? I think that's the point.

Also, don't forget that SS and DLB are two-minute snips between two competitors, with 1 1/2 minute "rebuttals"; more of a "battle" between two units.

I think that's for DB only, not SS. SS is more of a "show". I do hope they go with the anyone-can-judge thing in SS. Just judge overall entertainment...judge the performance.

Some of you guys need to relax. The video is an example of what SS MIGHT look like. This concept is so new that there aren't examples out there, and so new that you can pretty much do anything you want. I can't even imagine the complaining when a Mini Mummers group, a country jug band, a handbell choir and a woodwinds only group throw a competition. Open your mind to the possibilities!

I think the real concept with DLB and SS is to get units out there on the performance stage and give more kids a shot at the fun. DCI membership is dying a slow death...I think planting seeds and seeing what grows is a low cost way to support the brand.

• Like 2

You were thinking about Granny when you typed that, weren't you?

:tongue:/>/>

Well, who the heck doesn't think of Granny, especially when there's a chance for a costume malfunction?

• Like 1

Please God,...........I hope not.

very poor choice,............they should have picked out something different for this first promotional piece,............

Every person would have picked a different video for the first one. This is probably the first of several "example" videos. I doubt they'll use this as a be-all end-all.

• Like 1