TOC/G7 Related Discussion

danielray, I don't consider the current DCI model fatally broken, just self-limited. I also believe the (less accessible) product on the field you infer is a huge problem. It just doesn't generate enough "fun," so to speak. Too many corps are subtle, deep, even too refined to ever be of widespread appeal. Big money from sales to a night of this won't happen. Look, our product is presented in a football stadium. That setting has physical limitations, like weather, lighting, special effects, and sight to detail. It's also a place people usually go to cheer, scream, jump up and down, and insert themselves into the activity as best they can.

I like to ask the question, "How confident are you to take along your neighbor who never saw a show?"

I do not think that show design is remotely a factor in the lack of widespread appeal. "Its marching band" to 99.9% of the country, and it is just not something large numbers of people outside the comparatively small world of marching/music have much interest in seeing, let alone paying to see, no matter how good it is. Blast! had a short run on Broadway, but you don't see all sorts of Blast!-like shows springing up and moving to Broadway.

• Like 1

Mike,

"Its marching band" to 99.9% of the country"

So, there's our answer? The ability of this activity to ever become widely accepted, draw in public throngs, be seen on prime time TV, etc. is a pipe dream, and we need to move on. Not having enough money to continue is a moot point, because we are what we are, so deal with it. No change required. Close this thread?

I guess what I'm saying is, the current product is not selling enough units. Not enough money is coming in for what we have to offer. Thus, one solution is to offer something different.

Edited by Fred Windish

We watch NASCAR for the crashes, and football for the collisions. Incorporate that into the shows, and left turns....

We watch NASCAR for the crashes, and football for the collisions. Incorporate that into the shows, and left turns...

We tried that already. With due respect to each unit, see Crown at Lucas stadium previously and Cadets at Whitewater a few years back.. :shutup:/>

I mean no disrespect, but, if threads like this one attempt to answer the question "We need to generate more sales than we have now, how can we do that?" My suggestion is, try a change in product. Otherwise, be content with where you are.

This is a business and sales are key.

:smile:/>

Edited by Fred Windish

We watch NASCAR for the crashes, and football for the collisions. Incorporate that into the shows, and left turns...

We tried that already. With due respect to each unit, see Crown at Lucas stadium previously and Cadets at Whitewater a few years back.. :shutup:/>/>

But...what if the Cadets start on one side of the field and Crown the other, both at the same time!

Think of the big boom that would make! :tongue:

• Like 1

I mean no disrespect, but, if threads like this one attempt to answer the question "We need to generate more sales than we have now, how can we do that?" My suggestion is try a change in product. Otherwise, be content with where you are.

I agree. It would require turning the performances/shows into something completely different in concept than it is now to attract a wider audience.

Instrumental music events even outside of drum corps are not viewed all that highly in and of themselves. Listen to the radio...how much purely instrumental music do you hear? Watch the music competition shows on TV..."American Idol", "The Voice", etc...no instrumental-only on those. Look at the reception most of the instrumental groups receive on "America's Got Talent", as compared to singers, dancers, circus acts and comedians.

But...what if the Cadets start on one side of the field and Crown the other, both at the same time!

Think of the big boom that would make! :tongue:/>

That's what I'm talking about....

Good points, Mike!

Just seems to me, the product needs continued tweaking to remain of value. If enough people aren't buying-in, change is necessary. Not wholesale change, just a new approach. I am convinced this activity needs much more melody. That's not something that creates an entirely new product, just enhanced.

I agree. It would require turning the performances/shows into something completely different in concept than it is now to attract a wider audience.

Instrumental music events even outside of drum corps are not viewed all that highly in and of themselves. Listen to the radio...how much purely instrumental music do you hear? Watch the music competition shows on TV..."American Idol", "The Voice", etc...no instrumental-only on those. Look at the reception most of the instrumental groups receive on "America's Got Talent", as compared to singers, dancers, circus acts and comedians.

I do think that some sort of reality show about drum corps could be huge for exposure. It may not translate to live event attendance. I may watch part of an episode of the psycho dance ladies, but I wouldn't seek out an event.