is I&E no more?

This development is not surprising to me in the least. Even when I was teaching 20 years ago (BAC), there were certain corps who would NOT let their members participate due to missing them from finals week rehearsals. We encouraged it, and even took the afternoon off and bussed the whole corps to the convetion center to cheer on the kids we had participating, but some corps did not share this view...another example of BAC not falling in line with G7 priorities, I guess....

Edited by craiga
  • Like 2

Kids already fake video auditions already. Won't more people do it now that cash is the reward?

Also, I think I&E became too big of a thing. Only a certain amount of fans would show up to watch, yet performance section after performance section was added. Fans then had to spread out, but a lot chose just not to go. If you want to save it, allow only instruments that corps play on the field and hold it in a smaller location. It's silly at the Indy Convention Center where one guard member will perform in one room, then another will perform right after 3 floors down and on the other side of the building. Let's have it at a pub or something!

I'm not doubting you, I know kids will try anything. But if they are selected as finalists then I think they should then perform live for the prize at finals. Maybe in a smaller venue, as a "tailgate" function, or even pre-show.

I personally am not smart enough to figure out how one could "rig" an audition. Maybe I just realize if that happens I'd be expected to perform eventually and it would all fall through. Then again, I'm a bad liar.

• Like 1

I saw I&E in San Antonio last year. It was great. There were a lot of spectators...especially for the percussion and the dance performances. Of course, those spectators were probably mostly corps members since that day was a scheduled free day for most of the corps. Anyway, I had a great time spending the day with my son and watching the shows.

I would hate to see it go.

I have to laugh at this being blamed on the "G7". Especially considering corps like the Blue Devils have *strongly* encouraged participation in I&E over the years.

feel free to correct me. I thought that's what i remembered. I&E was moved to Sunday after San Antonio, right? And the G7 wanted to have their shows only on Fri and Sun.

... So, what did the G7 want to do with I&E?

I did think it was weird when, since as you mention, BD always sends a bunch of members.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

I'm not doubting you, I know kids will try anything. But if they are selected as finalists then I think they should then perform live for the prize at finals. Maybe in a smaller venue, as a "tailgate" function, or even pre-show.

I personally am not smart enough to figure out how one could "rig" an audition. Maybe I just realize if that happens I'd be expected to perform eventually and it would all fall through. Then again, I'm a bad liar.

Wait...this is a REALLY good idea! Wouldn't more people go an see I&E if it was a "finals" of sort instead of "prelims"?

I have to laugh at this being blamed on the "G7". Especially considering corps like the Blue Devils have *strongly* encouraged participation in I&E over the years.

A-freaking-men. The nuttiness of "everything's G7/Cadets/Hopkins/the devil's fault" really is comical

• Like 2

Perhaps the best alternative would be to set it up under the umbrella that DCI is using for the Drumline thing and the small ensemble thing (can't remember names right now). Maybe that's a way to drum up interest and get more fans back into that world, and if it gets popular perhaps more corps will come back to supporting it.

I always personally thought I&E was kind of archaic: a bastion of the "old school" realm of drum corps. I get why people like it, and why members hype on it, but it just seems not important in the activity now-a-days. Also, after knowing how much (or, to be honest, how little) soloists put into their solo to compete, it's really lost luster. I know people who put in the most minimal amount possible, throwing something together in a day or two's time, and still did really well. For me personally, when I saw I&E contestants who actually excelled in I&E give it very little thought, I really lost all interest. I know that's not the case with all performers, but it was the case with enough of them that I personally knew about to turn me off (and I'm talking about groups that won, or individuals who were runner-up and lost by a .1, or lost because of an under-time penalty or something).

• Like 1

This development is not surprising to me in the least. Even when I was teaching 20 years ago (BAC), there were certain corps who would NOT let their members participate due to missing them from finals week rehearsals. We encouraged it, and even took the afternoon off and bussed the whole corps to the convetion center to cheer on the kids we had participating, but some corps did not share this view...another example of BAC not falling in line with G7 priorities, I guess....

Sorry - but equating BAC actions for the past 20 years to very recent G7 activity gets no acknowledgement. G7 is quite recent.

• Like 2

OK-OK! I get it....any mention of G7 on here now gets you bashed. If you reread my post, you will see that at NO time did I blame the G7 for the lack of I&E now. I only mentioned the G7 at all because in MY mind, Mr. Hopkins was at the helm of that particular group, and last I knew, the Cadets did not allow their members to participate in I&E.

Was I wrong on either point?

Sheesh...

• Like 2