Cavaliers 2013

Urban legend, according to Fiedler. The explanation seems plausible, given that the title of their opener in '93 doesn't actually appear in Holsinger's catalog, but clearly IS from The Death Tree.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure Holsinger himself confirmed the story in this podcast. It's an hour long so I haven't relistened to it since it was released, but that's my recollection.

How was the run through? I hope that they had a good performance for everyone.

They rehearsed some brand new material (1 and 2 days old) and some middle chunks. Still about 6 visual charts to teach at the end. Way ahead of the normal schedule for Cavaliers this time of year. They did a full dress run a little early, without plums, due to what looked like a very nasty storm about to hit.

Honest assessment:

They have made strides from this point last year. Show design is much better. MUCH better. The judges and fans will enjoy the concept. The drumline is good. Basses and pit already have some great moments. Guard is strong. I really like the uni's from the stands. They haven't had much experience with the capes yet, so they get a pass. Brass plays well, but not much volume Saturday night. Staff wants to surprise the fans, both now and later. So I will just say there are few tricks that will make the kids go wild. And they said they have some stuff up their sleeves further down the road. Drill design is better, but still a weak link. As my experienced friend next to me said best ... "even when they get that clean, it's not going to look clean." Then again, keep in mind that we marched drum corps when dinosaurs roamed the earth. And it's still early. Plenty of time to edit. Also, they have yet to fully regain their well-known unified marching technique across all members. They have made an ... interesting ... decision to trim their pants so they look very contoured to the member's leg shape from high. This does not do any favors when evaluating visual. Super-exposed.

Predictions? A better year than last on multiple fronts. For sure.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2