Why do DMs Corps-Hop?

Your OP said something different, something that characterizes those who remain with a single corps as bitter, lesser talents. That is a brush too broad.

Not quite. I was referring to (quite plainly) to the MMs that hurl the "disloyal" tag around. Which is obviously not all (or even most) returning members.

Edited by Kamarag

It may be the fact that members in certain performing positions would like to be and would like to enjoy the aspect of just simply being "one of the guys" when outside the performance aspect. Added responsibilities, oversight, etc. off the field can place a member "out of the loop" of that very important social aspect of the activity in some organizations.

Your Kiltie avatar made me recall that in 1976 Eric ?, the Kilt's DM in 1975, came over to the Scouts and marched tympani for that very reason. He was a very good and very popular DM but didn't really like the spot light and wanted to age out just being a marching member again. I should remember his name but what can I say, I'm old.

Another DM situation I've seen. One DM was a drum major one year, and he hated it. Wasn't for him. Then he went back into the horn line, became the Bari section leader, then the horn captain the year after that. DM just wasn't for him. Others love the experience, but want to get something more or different out of it.

Concur.

People are looking for some common thread. I'd wager there are 10 different stories for each of the 10 MMs mentioned by the OP.

The attempt to impune the character of today's marchers (by describing them as disloyal) is at best a cheap shot. I suspect most (all?) of the people taking these shots are limited to sitting behind their PC and occasionally showing up at a local contest to ##### and moan the entire time , never interacting with current marching members at all.

If you're around the kids AT ALL you'd know that what's truly great about this activity is still alive and very well thank you.

DCP at it's finest (again).doh.gif

Believing that OP stands for original poster/posting, check again. I stated that each of them has their own narrative and personal rationale. On this we agree.

In the Socratic method of asking questions, sometimes questions at an extreme to build toward a middle consensus, or a place between two opposites, I never called them disloyal. I ask what happened to corps loyalty, hoping that the current and young interpretation of what that means might arise in this thread. (It hasn't yet...most of the posters have been us old guys, meaning anyone no longer 22 or younger.)

I am certainly not one who disavows the greatness of today's members. And I put my cheque where my mouth is so that a number of them can march in a number of corps. This is in addition to consulting, being a clinic and camp faculty member, etc., etc.

Check the profiles of each poster before you fall prey to the same generalized accusation you throw at others. On this you and I disagree.

• Like 1

Believing that OP stands for original poster/posting, check again. I stated that each of them has their own narrative and personal rationale. On this we agree.

In the Socratic method of asking questions, sometimes questions at an extreme to build toward a middle consensus, or a place between two opposites, I never called them disloyal. I ask what happened to corps loyalty, hoping that the current and young interpretation of what that means might arise in this thread. (It hasn't yet...most of the posters have been us old guys, meaning anyone no longer 22 or younger.)

I am certainly not one who disavows the greatness of today's members. And I put my cheque where my mouth is so that a number of them can march in a number of corps. This is in addition to consulting, being a clinic and camp faculty member, etc., etc.

Check the profiles of each poster before you fall prey to the same generalized accusation you throw at others. On this you and I disagree.

I didn't attribute disloyal to you. I merely referenced your post listing 10 drum majors who switched corps.

That said, you certainly implied a lack of loyalty on the part of these DM's with the questions:

Why do drum majors/conductors/officers corps-hop? What happened to unit loyalty?

You can dance away from the implication citing Socrates all you like. In this medium it's incumbent on the writer to be unambiguous. Sure we all fail at that and perhaps this is a case in point. But the obvious conclusion to such a leading question is the notion that those DMs lack loyalty.

(And yes OP stands for original post/poster depending on context. As for profiles, what's that? (ie not many really read them. your posts are your credentials here :-)

• Like 2

Your Kiltie avatar made me recall that in 1976 Eric ?, the Kilt's DM in 1975, came over to the Scouts and marched tympani for that very reason. He was a very good and very popular DM but didn't really like the spot light and wanted to age out just being a marching member again. I should remember his name but what can I say, I'm old.

I can relate to your post. Our DMs were M&M instructors or corps directors and over 21 years until a rule change in 72 perhaps; I'm old too. I was guard captain for one winter and assigned DM April 72 at age 16, spent 4 years as DM in 1 corps. I was determined to spend my age out year spinning a flag with Troopers or SCV; didn't have enough money for the bus west so spun with Oakland Crusaders in 76. I had DM burnout, too much responsibility. After my 1976 break, I was DM for a non-competitive corps for 3 years and it felt good conducting. Giving the DM a break is a good thing ;)

Once upon a time, Drum Majors came from the ranks of the corps. They were longtime marching members who had earned the respect of other corps members & they earned the position. It saddens me to hear that this isn't the case anymore.

Once upon a time, Drum Majors came from the ranks of the corps. They were longtime marching members who had earned the respect of other corps members & they earned the position. It saddens me to hear that this isn't the case anymore.

I was a female DM in a corps with girls on guard, boys on horns and drums. It was challenging!

This is still the case with Boston. BAC still promotes from within. This year's DM is in his third year with the corps, and was playing lead trumpet last summer. He replaces age-out Thompson Vou, who was a corps member for 5 years, 4 of which were as drum major.

This is still the case with Boston. BAC still promotes from within. This year's DM is in his third year with the corps, and was playing lead trumpet last summer. He replaces age-out Thompson Vou, who was a corps member for 5 years, 4 of which were as drum major.

Ditto for Cadets, Cavies, and Crown for head majors; different policies for the backfield and endzone conductors.