Major Events that Happened While in Corps

Son of Sam in 1977? Thought it was later.

I heard Elvis died right before I left for a drum corps party....got mono that night!

I have the Cavaliers yearbook from 1969, and on the day of the moon landing there were rumors running wild (not unlike all the wild media rumors the other day about the Boston bombing suspects).

One of the rumors was that the astronauts were stranded on the moon, and a rescue would not be possible. Quite a few guys in the corps thought it was the truth.

Early Sunday morning, August 17, 1969 and our corps bus is cruising back from Scranton to Long Island via I-84, nearing the connect with the NY Thruway at Newburg. (Note: today's more direct route had not been fully completed.)

We come to a crawl, then a dead stop. Cars are parked all along the shoulder for miles and large groups of people are wandering about.

"Who are all you guys?" we inquire out the windows. "We're coming from the show, man", is the reply. "Yeah", we shout back, "us, too". It then dawns on Jack McGuinness and the Cool Breeze that they're talking about Woodstock.

A guy yells, "What band are you?" "Who, us?", replies Jack, "We're Blood Sweat & Tears". "Holy Expletive!" screams the guy, and we all break up. "Groovy, man", says the guy's girlfriend.

(Sidebar: We played "Aquarius" that year. Groovy, man.)

Good one Frank ... Sky got caught in the Watkins Glen concert traffic going to the Altoona show in 1972 ... one of our guys hopped off the bus and into one of the "luv fest" vans ... hillarious ... stoned out of his mind by the time he found us down the road ... we certainly had our share of "hippies" during that era ... and Viet Nam vets ... same as most Sr. corps ... interesting mix of personalities ... as it always was in Sky!

:-)

I have the Cavaliers yearbook from 1969, and on the day of the moon landing there were rumors running wild (not unlike all the wild media rumors the other day about the Boston bombing suspects).

One of the rumors was that the astronauts were stranded on the moon, and a rescue would not be possible. Quite a few guys in the corps thought it was the truth.

And then in 1970, Apollo 13 happened.

Most memorable event during my DC days was November 22, 1963. JFK Assassination.

The entire nation, as well as most of the free world was in shock.

A few of the corps members made the trek to DC for the funeral. One who wasn't very fleet-footed dashed through Arlington National Cemetery dodging tombstones, tripped and fell into an open grave. Not the grave mind you.

Most of us old folks remember the little man saluting his father. Very sad indeed.

This event was a hard pill to swallow.

Edited by gsksun4

Most memorable event during my DC days was November 22, 1963. JFK Assassination.

The entire nation, as well as most of the free world was in shock.

Drum Corps News published an article shortly after November 22, 1963. It sounds like an urban legend, but it was absolutely the truth.

I believe it was the Bronx Kingsmen decided to hold their practice that night, despite the JFK assassination. A young boy showed up that night,

and was rather quiet (he'd never been at practice before that). His name was John Kennedy. The first time I read the article it gave me goosebumps.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Son of Sam in 1977? Thought it was later.

1977. The "Summer of Sam" as it was called in the NYC area.

1977. The "Summer of Sam" as it was called in the NYC area.

Watch The Bronx is Burning sometime ... a TV mini series from a few years ago ... chronicled the 77 Yankees turmoil of a season and the Son of Sam killings ...

Berkowitz admitted his first attack/stabbing was Xmas Eve 1975. The first shooting was July of 76, when he mastered the .44cal Bulldog. The attacks continued until his arrest in August of 77.

He claimed a demon that possessed his neighbor's dog told him to do it. It was a parking ticket that led to his arrest. He now hangs his hat in Attica, serving 6 life sentences. Up until May of 2012 he's had 6 paroles denied and he admitted he needs to stay imprisoned.

Whew........ that's good.

Edited by gsksun4

I was the designated night driver in the Garfield staff van as we headed into Denver for DCI in '77. Most of that evening the rest of the gang slept, and I listened to some custom "mix tapes" of Stan Kenton, Maynard and the Stones to stay alert. I never switched on the radio.

The corps had arrived a few hours before us and as we pulled into the housing site I noticed one of our contra players in the lot. "Hi", I said. "What's happening?"

"Elvis died, and they caught Berkowitz", he replied. "Who's Berkowitz?", I asked.*

* Of course, no one knew his name until he was captured.

I was thinking of the .22 Caliber Killer in the early 80's