Major Events that Happened While in Corps

I remember being at US Open when it was announced that Nixon had resigned.

Obviously in 1976 the Bicentennial celebrations were big.

Anyone else have any others?

• Like 1

I remember being at US Open when it was announced that Nixon had resigned.

Obviously in 1976 the Bicentennial celebrations were big.

Anyone else have any others?

off the top of my head:

Race riots: Many cities, including Los Angeles, Detroit burned

Assassinations: JFK, MLK, Bobby Kennedy

Space program and moon landing

Green Bay Packer era

first international live television broadcast

the Beatles

Viet Nam War

instant replay

communications satellites

Give me time and I'll come up with more. The baby boom lived through amazing times.

Edited by alankarls

off the top of my head:

... 1967 ... called the Summer of Love ... Haight-Ashbury ... as first, a far cry from the segregation this youth experienced in New Orleans at the VFW Nats ... then the drive home through NJ to witness the remnants and hostilities of the Newark Riots ... only to see the "love" in thre streets of San Francisco fall into the same sense of systemic violence throughout the nation ... thanks for the memories ... well ... not really this one ...

]Wow you are OLD!!!! LOL

off the top of my head:

Assassinations: JFK, MLK, Bobby Kennedy

Space program and moon landing

Green Bay Packer era

first international live television broadcast

the Beatles

Viet Nam War

instant replay

communications satellites

Give me time and I'll come up with more. The baby boom lived through amazing times.

Edited by KeithHall

]Wow you are OLD!!!! LOL

Born in the first half of the last century.

"Major Events":

VFW & AL Nationals, the World Open, the National Dream Contest, CYO Nationals, Mission Drums, the Barnum, the US Open, the Yankee Circuit Championships, the Greater New York Championships, the PENN-Jersey Championships, VFW & AL State Championships, being on Wonderamma with Sonny Fox.........

A contest every weekend, all within a 75 mile radius of "Home", year round activities with standstills, color guard and "Indie" shows all winter...

To us kids from the neighborhood, THESE were the "Major Events" of our time....

Elphaba

This one is kind of creepy...

1977, I was with DCA's Long Island Sunrisers, part of the Jersey Crew that commuted from NJ to LI for rehearsals.

The summer of '77 was the "Son of Sam" summer in the NY area... with the guy who called himself Son of Sam killing women at random around the city. The entire area was terrorized.

On our way through Brooklyn heading toward Long Island, we used to drive right by the area where he had killed his most recent (and as it turned out, his last) victim.

On our way home to NJ from a Wednesday night rehearsal, we were listening to WABC-AM when a newscaster broke into programming with the word that police had arrested the alleged Son of Sam killer.

When we heard this news, we literally were driving next to the area where the last victim was shot. Holy mackerel, that sent a chill down my spine.

The topper to this... at Friday's rehearsal that week, one of the guys in our corps, who was usually always loose and joking around, looked like he had seen a ghost.

We asked him if was OK... he said not really, that when he saw the picture of the Son of Sam killer, he realized he used to live in the same apartment complex as that guy a few years earlier... and would occasionally see him coming and going. :blink:

Edited by Fran Haring

That same 1977 summer, there was also the big New York City blackout.

It was on a rehearsal night for us... driving home from Long Island, it was really weird seeing nearly the entire city in darkness.

Can feel for ya Fran but that was work related. Flight from JFK to Rome went down in the mid-90s one evening and no one still knows why. That afternoon I flew IN from Rome to JFK on the same airline. Flight number was "one off" and far as I know might have been the same plane.

On the corps front, 1977 grab a newspaper to read on the bus and read about the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire (150+ died) in South Gate, KY. Just what you want to think about before you go to a crowded stadium as lot of the BH toll was from overcrowding and panic.