Major Events that Happened While in Corps

Berkowitz admitted his first attack/stabbing was Xmas Eve 1975. The first shooting was July of 76, when he mastered the .44cal Bulldog. The attacks continued until his arrest in August of 77.

He claimed a demon that possessed his neighbor's dog told him to do it. It was a parking ticket that led to his arrest. He now hangs his hat in Attica, serving 6 life sentences. Up until May of 2012 he's had 6 paroles denied and he admitted he needs to stay imprisoned.

Whew........ that's good.

Sam was the name of the dog IIRC.... That was the part that got my goosebumps up.

Sounds like Charles Mansons one parole hearing. They had to ask him if it was a good idea to release him and he said "No". Next thing "Thank you... see you next time.".

I remember talking with someone years after I aged out and they mentioned some big event (plane crash or something that had occurred years before) I was completely unaware of the event. then I asked them if it happened during the summer, and then understood why I had no idea it happened.

WOW!

Paper was invented. The telephone was first used. The Model A became popular. The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Delta House was kicked off campus. DCI discontinued its 8 track sales. The Walkman was invented. The contra scandal had us contras worried. Chernobyl disaster. Phone cards were invented. Star Wars came out. :w00t:/>

Edited by BigDale
  • Like 1

WOW!

Paper was invented. The telephone was first used. The Model A became popular. The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Delta House was kicked off campus. DCI discontinued its 8 track sales. The Walkman was invented. The contra scandal had us contras worried. Chernobyl disaster. Phone cards were invented. Star Wars came out. :w00t:/

7 years of college shot in the butt....

Three Mile Island happened late March 1979 middle of the week. Was away at college so no idea how it affected Westshoremen Winter rehearsal about 10 or so miles away.

According to wiki TMI happened 4AM Weds and think we had Monday or Tuesday night rehearsals so just missed it. But sure there were some wild stories the next week. Heavens knows the further away the worse the rumors got. Had a Honor Guard member who had to call TX for work. When he said he was calling from Harrisburg the response was "We just heard people are dropping dead in the street there!".

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

WOW!

Paper was invented. The telephone was first used. The Model A became popular. The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Delta House was kicked off campus. DCI discontinued its 8 track sales. The Walkman was invented. The contra scandal had us contras worried. Chernobyl disaster. Phone cards were invented. Star Wars came out. :w00t:/>/>

I just read that in John Belushi's voice. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1

I was the designated night driver in the Garfield staff van as we headed into Denver for DCI in '77. Most of that evening the rest of the gang slept, and I listened to some custom "mix tapes" of Stan Kenton, Maynard and the Stones to stay alert. I never switched on the radio.

The corps had arrived a few hours before us and as we pulled into the housing site I noticed one of our contra players in the lot. "Hi", I said. "What's happening?"

"Elvis died, and they caught Berkowitz", he replied. "Who's Berkowitz?", I asked.*

* Of course, no one knew his name until he was captured.

If any lighter moment came out of that whole thing, it might have been this:

Once we in the Sunrisers saw the pictures of David Berkowitz, we realized we had a guy in our lead soprano line (he had joined us for that season) who could have been his twin brother... honest to God, the resemblance was uncanny.

So... of course... from then on out, our guy's nickname was Berkowitz. :tongue:

We were at our housing site near Marion Ohio for the US Open when we heard Thurman Munson was killed flying his airplane in Canton in 1979.

Most memorable event during my DC days was November 22, 1963. JFK Assassination.

Yes.

I was still marching ( Seniors by then ) in 1971.

1971 was the year a recent MIT Grad by the name of Ray Tomlinson working for a firm in Cambridge Mass. got a computer to send a personal message to another computer for the first time ever. The computers were literally side by side only a few steps away from one another. Both were his. ( his companies ) He constructed the " @ " which meant " AT " between sigatures. He called his invention the " E- Mail ". He was the first in the world to do an email... in the fall of 1971. Today, it is estimated that approx. 310 billion emails are sent on any given day.

http://openmap.bbn.com/~tomlinso/ray/ka10.html

Edited by BRASSO

August 1991 - Soviet Union fell. BAC was returning from Dallas, when we heard the news. The following year, VK comes out with the "The Party's Over" sign.