Homosexuality in Drum Corps

Well then; everything you posted here is thus applicable to opening up drum corps to co-ed showers.

If that sort of thing was accepted in society, I'd have no quarrel with that, actually. It isn't. Period. It's a ludicrous thing to keep bringing up, IMO, but go ahead, I guess. Corps stay in schools...do you REALLY think they would be able to have coed showers in such a setting? When they are guests at the school? How many schools would invite any corps to ever stay at their school again if the admin got wind of such a thing happening? How much trouble might a band director get into if he or she had lobbied for the corps to be able to stay at the school, only to find the corps using just one set of showers for everybody?

• Like 4

Corps stay in schools...do you REALLY think they would be able to have coed showers in such a setting?

Yep! Connecticut College, Oberlin, Carleton, … have co-ed restrooms with Oberlin offering co-ed shower stalls; need I go on?

Edited by Stu

b) The point that I am getting at is that while gay guys get to check me, or other guys, out in the shower (and someone admitted doing just that in a former post) why do I not have that same privilege as a hetero guy to check out females in the shower? I want equality dag nabit!!!

Yes indeed. Not being able to leer at the gender of your choice in a shower is one of the gravest injustices of our time. It's as if gays devised the idea of same sex attraction for this specific purpose. Sure we can't marry and society tends to frown on us as a whole, but at least we suckered those straights into stripping down nude for us!!

Beat that Rosa Parks!

• Like 4

Thank you

First I never said every chance but I never spelled it out clearly either so my bad.

For me personally I would feel uncomfortable having an gay person showering next to me if I didn't know them that well. Uncomfortable is a better word than fear for me but understand my earlier posts were meant to include what others might feel as well. And for some it might be fear but that's speaking for others. I'm sure there are some women who would be uncomfortible showing next to me or being checked out. I feel the ladies would have a right to be upset so not sure why a double standard. As for sexual harrassment lawsuits, let's just say you would be surprised what little could start an investigation (I work for Dept of Defense so go figure).

Is there a problem with admitting something that would make you, me, everyone else uncomfortable? I feel like I was being honest in what I feel and get slammed for it. How can we have an honest open discussion if you get crap for bringing things to light. I'm pretty sure why I would feel uncomfortable but why the Hell should I share it if I get grief from it?

As for women "tolerating" frat boy crap, that doesn't mean it didn't bother them a lot. Sure you'd like to tell my sister and some friends it's nothing. As you can tell I do care about others feelings, which led to the post that generated the BS storm.

So a bunch of negative votes for being honest? Or for saying that being in a group shower is not the easier thing in the world for me?

I appreciate your honesty and don't necessarily disagree with you. I certainly didn't intend to minimalize the idea of being put in an uncomfortable situation. I was merely pointing out that women are put in that position way more often by straight men, but we don't have a thread on here discussing the objectification of females in drum corps.

You asked for people to express some ideas as to why you might've received all those negative posts and I obliged.

You can choose to take it personally or just as my opinion.

Also, I'm not sure where you are going with the Ryan Gossling comment, but I hope it's not that only people that meet a certain level of attractiveness are entitled to feel uncomfortable in a situation.

Uh, no. I was just throwing out an example of an attractive guy in my opinion. If you want to extrapolate a hidden meaning from that, that's on you.

And yes I agree, being made to feel uncomfortable can be harassment. I don't condone it. I was merely pointing out that heterosexual males do it to women all the time.

• Like 3

I appreciate your honesty and don't necessarily disagree with you. I certainly didn't intend to minimalize the idea of being put in an uncomfortable situation. I was merely pointing out that women are put in that position way more often by straight men, but we don't have a thread on here discussing the objectification of females in drum corps.

You asked for people to express some ideas as to why you might've received all those negative posts and I obliged.

You can choose to take it personally or just as my opinion.

I appreciate your response as I can see what problem you had with my post. I wasn't trying to compare or minimize what women have gone thru. Always felt first step in resolving problems is to open up conversation.

And I just added an edit to the -10 post that I'm not saying hetro men checking out the women is right, just that it does happen.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Yep! Connecticut College, Oberlin, Carleton, … have co-ed restrooms with Oberlin offering co-ed shower stalls; need I go on?

Sisters private college had 'em too but "stalls" is the operative term.....

and get called on it all the time,..........

... and you can't call a gay guy on it?

... and you can't call a gay guy on it?

Well I brought up the idea that:

Hetro guys looking at an attractive woman = gay guys looking at an atrractive male

and have -10 problems with it.....

Wonder what the count would be if you did call a gay guy on it on DCP?

Edited by JimF-LowBari