Passing of Bill Duquette

The Connecticut Hurricanes Drum & Bugle Corps is sad to share news of the passing of Hurricanes Hall of Fame Member Bill Duquette. Bill “Duke” Duquette was a former Drum Major, Corps Director, and recent Advisory Board member of the Hurricanes organization. After a lengthy illness, Bill passed quietly at his Georgia home surrounded by his wife and family.

Bill Duquette came to the Hurricanes in 1970, and was a contra player in those stellar horn lines of the early ‘70’s, through 1973. Following his playing career, Bill returned to the Corps as its Director and Asst. Drum Major, 1980-1984. He immediately outfitted the Corps with new uniforms and made key additions to an already excellent staff, resulting in some very competitive years. Bill played an integral part in the Hurricanes winning the DCA Championship in 1981. Duquette became active in the corps again as the Administrative Head and staff coordinator in 1990 and 1992. He used his experience and leadership skills to quickly guide the Corps back to prominence in the wake of some subpar seasons. He was named “Hurricane of the Year” for 1992.

In 2011, Bill was once again served the corps as Webmaster, and beginning in 2012 Bill was appointed as an adviser to the Board of Directors.

By way of experience, Bill’s drum corps career began in 1957 with Bridgeport’s PAL Cadets. He played baritone and contra bass with the PAL through 1968. Bill had also served as a marching instructor for such corps as the Connecticut Classics, New London Surfers and Notre Dame’s ND-Etts as well as the Bunnell High School Marching Band. Additionally, Bill has served as Director of The Spirit of Atlanta Drum and Bugle Corps from Atlanta, Georgia and as Co-Director for the Park City Pride in its inaugural year of 2003.

Bill’s pride, spirit, and support of the Drum Corps activity will be sorely missed by all who knew him. The Hurricanes organization would like to extend its deepest sympathies to the Duquette family.

Information on immediate arrangements will be released when available. The family will be planning a memorial service in Connecticut in the coming months.

Bill will be missed... He was a great guy and a great corps person... it was my pleasure to work closely with him for many years in DCA...

Bill had a rare combination od organizational, administrative and creative skills ... he was always an immediate asset to any corps he was assoiciated with ... thouroughly loyal to his roots in Bridgeport and all of Connecticut, he was the quintessential instiller of "pride" in each and every corpsmate he marched with ...

RIP Billy ...

Yer old "PAL" ... Andy

Edited by ajlisko

a loss for the entire drum corps activity to be sure.......requiescat Duke

Jim

Bill Duquette had a life long love affair with drum corps. He was a mover and shaker where ever he was and never seemed daunted or challenged by any obstacle that might hinder foward progress. The Hurricanes were his home, spanning five decades, and we were better for it.

RIP my friend...

"RIP Bill Duquette":

I remember him from so long ago as a worthy and fierce competitor in the hey day of Bridgeport's junior drum corps "Circuit".

RIP.

Elphaba

Very sorry to hear this news.

Bill was a great man. May he rest in peace.

Bill Duquette had a life long love affair with drum corps. He was a mover and shaker where ever he was and never seemed daunted or challenged by any obstacle that might hinder foward progress. The Hurricanes were his home, spanning five decades, and we were better for it.

RIP my friend...

One of the things I hate about living 1,000 miles from my drum corps family is learning about events such as Bill's passing hours or days after they happen.

If you had to pinpoint a single individual responsible for the resurgence of the CT Hurricanes in 1980, in my opinion it would be Bill. Bill had a unique way of managing talented and egotistical staff members to produce their very best results. He had a clear vision of who the Hurricanes were and what they could become without ever losing that image that had taken decades to establish. He was undaunted by the financial challenges, knowing that nothing gets money flowing in as quickly as success. While he had no small ego himself, he never positioned himself as the star of the show - he correctly assessed that if the corps succeeded, his own place in the activity was secure. He was remarkably loyal to staff and corpsmembers alike, always keeping the good of the corps as the primary consideration.

I don't know where Billy stands in the history of the activity. He'll never be as well-known as Lefty Mayer or George Bull, to name just a couple, but few people have had the effect of turning around the trajectory of a great organzation as effectively as Bill did with the Hurcs. Given how important the Hurricanes are to the activity that is no small accomplishment.

Peace to Bill and to his family. An amazing time in the activity with an amazing group. Good job.

Our hearts and prayers go out to Bill's family and drum corps family! When he was director of Spirit of Atlanta he called to do an interview for an article I was working on--only it was 6:30 in the morning! He forgot Nevada was a couple of hours behind where he was. He felt so bad he allowed a scheduled 30 min interview continue for over 2 hours!

RIP Bill, you will be missed.