Missing Corps

Anyone else missing those corps from the past.....

Rochester Crusaders

Syracuse Brigadiers

Yankee Rebels

Matadors

Westshoremen

Pittsburgh Rockets

Les Metropolitans

Hamburg Kingsmen

Les Diplomats

Canadian Commanders

Thunderbirds

Guelph Royalaires

Niagara Regionnaires

Hanover Lancers

Johnsonburg Diplomats

Dunkirk Patriots

Suburban Knights

Interstatesmen

Les Ambassadeurs

Blue Eagles

Heatwave

Ohio Brass Factory

Steel City Ambassadors

and many more

Add Renegades this season and Empire Statesmen next year.

"Blasts from the Past":

Include:

Skokie Indians/Men of Brass

GWC Gay Blades

Amboy Dukes

Morristown Colonials

Stratford Connecticut Yankees

Bridgeport Troopers

New Bedford Whalers

Port Ewen Criterions

USAF Drum Corps Washington DC

USAF Academy Drum Corps

USMC Drum Corps 29 Palms CA

Elphaba

• Like 1

miss em all. sadly we'll never have a corps on every corner again

My first All-Age corps I marched with was the USMC MCAGCC Drum and Bugle Corps... 29 Palms CA Drum and Bugle Corps. So I miss them, and would be remiss if I did not mention USMC D&B from Albany GA as well. :thumbup:/>

Semper Fi!!

• Like 1

miss em all. sadly we'll never have a corps on every corner again

Jeff,

Probably could if the drum corps model we all know today could scale back some. Wouldnt be difficult to have a local drum corps that supported its community through parades and other community based functions. This all done while fostering the youth of the community. With the use of Bb instruments it has made it easier.

It just seems like drum corps are field units and nothing else. They may foster the growth of a student, but not many from the corps home base.

Not many know this "drum corps activity" because it is not local and doesnt support their communities or their children

Jeff,

Probably could if the drum corps model we all know today could scale back some. Wouldnt be difficult to have a local drum corps that supported its community through parades and other community based functions. This all done while fostering the youth of the community. With the use of Bb instruments it has made it easier.

It just seems like drum corps are field units and nothing else. They may foster the growth of a student, but not many from the corps home base.

Not many know this "drum corps activity" because it is not local and doesnt support their communities or their children

At the risk of changing the direction of this thread, I really agree with your point here. When I was performing in mini corps, it occured to me that maybe DCA was really on to something. Here was the opportunity to actually "grow" a drum corps. regardless of the financial conditions, it's possible to come up with a musical unit of 21 people (or less) almost anywhere. Once the unit became established the locals could expand it as they could afford to and move out of the I&E realm and into class A and Open. A couple of units have started that way, and I know that the Renegades very first DCA performance was a mini corps at I&E because we were one of the corps they beat!

Anyone who grew up in the hobby in the 60's knows that with few exceptions the corps of that time seldom numbered more than 24 - 28 horns, but there were these little drum corps everywhere. Western New Yorkers will tell you that "the thruway Circuit" was no joke as there were easily a dozen and a half locally competitive corps along that route.

I'm not suggesting a complete roll-back to the 1960's, but quality and competitiveness of the mini corps activity would suggest that a lot of the old corps that are now gone could certainly return if there were a smaller venue operating locally. Then again I've been wrong before.

Mike Covell, contra

Ghost Riders

St. Joes

Rochester Crusaders

Albion Grenadiers

Rochester Phoenix

USAF LAckland AFB

Mike, I agree. No you aren't hijacking the thread either.

Mini corps is probably the best thing to happen to DCA but they don't know it yet.

Look at DCI with SoundSport and Drum Battle (or whatever they call it). It's Mini corps that started in DCA.

In DCA in NY (BITD).....Crusaders, Albion Grenadiers, Hamburg Kingsmen, Brigadiers, Dunkirk patriots, Suburban Knights, etc.

At the risk of changing the direction of this thread, I really agree with your point here. When I was performing in mini corps, it occured to me that maybe DCA was really on to something. Here was the opportunity to actually "grow" a drum corps. regardless of the financial conditions, it's possible to come up with a musical unit of 21 people (or less) almost anywhere. Once the unit became established the locals could expand it as they could afford to and move out of the I&E realm and into class A and Open. A couple of units have started that way, and I know that the Renegades very first DCA performance was a mini corps at I&E because we were one of the corps they beat!

Anyone who grew up in the hobby in the 60's knows that with few exceptions the corps of that time seldom numbered more than 24 - 28 horns, but there were these little drum corps everywhere. Western New Yorkers will tell you that "the thruway Circuit" was no joke as there were easily a dozen and a half locally competitive corps along that route.

I'm not suggesting a complete roll-back to the 1960's, but quality and competitiveness of the mini corps activity would suggest that a lot of the old corps that are now gone could certainly return if there were a smaller venue operating locally. Then again I've been wrong before.

Mike Covell, contra

Ghost Riders

St. Joes

Rochester Crusaders

Albion Grenadiers

Rochester Phoenix

USAF LAckland AFB

Mike Covell, contra

Ghost Riders

St. Joes

Rochester Crusaders

Albion Grenadiers

Rochester Phoenix

USAF LAckland AFB

Mike Covell, contra

Ghost Riders

St. Joes

Rochester Crusaders

Albion Grenadiers

Rochester Phoenix

USAF LAckland AFB

Please Mike for the love of god, stop making sense....

• Like 1

You can add Alliance to that list.

Yes, it is a sad state of affairs but a harsh reality in this day and time. Unfortunately, the days of every town of 25,000 people having their own drum corps are long gone.

Dan

This one hits me harder since I was really impressed with the growth of this corps and after watching their show in 2009 I thought they would really become a corps to be reckoned with. It is very difficult to maintain an Open Class corps.