Missing Corps

That shelf life will show itself as well. There will come a time when the 90's and 2000's are old time drum corps based on the audience's age.

• Like 1

That shelf life will show itself as well. There will come a time when the 90's and 2000's are old time drum corps based on the audience's age.

your right liz. but will their be any alumni corps? audience? will their be anything left? i hope so. but it dosen't look good. see fish66 post.

As long as there are still men and women who marched in corps there will be an audience....as long as there are corps. As the list is depleted the amount of shows will dwindle and then the corps themselves will fade away.

Next year the only Upstate NY corps will be the White Sabres and it will be up to them and them alone to maintain a presence in this activity for Upstate NY.

Doesn't matter if no one is watching.

As long as there are still men and women who marched in corps there will be an audience....as long as there are corps. As the list is depleted the amount of shows will dwindle and then the corps themselves will fade away.

Next year the only Upstate NY corps will be the White Sabres and it will be up to them and them alone to maintain a presence in this activity for Upstate NY.

a lot of the kids marching to day are not as commited as we were keith. they do it while in college. when they graduate they start their lives. and they move on.

it's sad that upstate used to be such a hot bed for drum corps. and now it has only one left. you have to wonder what happened? but then vince bruni had a lot to do with drum corps there.

Geez Keith wish it were so... But if there aren't many Alumni because of the decline in total numbers of participants that will translate into extremely low audience numbers. Not enough to foot the bills or even maintain the activity.

I miss the Ohio Brass Factory: loved the green Blue Devils unis and yellow drums in unusual configurations.

Poet Sir Thomas Moore's spin

Oft, in the stilly night,

Ere Slumber's chain has bound me,

Fond Memory brings the light

Of other days around me;

When I remember all

The friends, so link'd together,

I've seen around me fall

Like leaves in wintry weather;

I feel like one,

Who treads alone

Some banquet-hall deserted,

Whose lights are fled,

Whose garlands dead,

And all but he departed!

Thus, in the stilly night,

Ere Slumber's chain hath bound me,

Sad Memory brings the light

Of other days around me.

• Like 1

"Blasts from the Past":

Include:

Skokie Indians/Men of Brass

GWC Gay Blades

Amboy Dukes

Morristown Colonials

Stratford Connecticut Yankees

Bridgeport Troopers

New Bedford Whalers

Port Ewen Criterions

USAF Drum Corps Washington DC

USAF Academy Drum Corps

USMC Drum Corps 29 Palms CA

Elphaba

Add to the New Jersey list: Capt. Harry B. Doremus Post 55 ("Jersey 'Skeeters") Hackensack, NJ ..... 2-time American Legion National Champions and perennial NJ AL State Champs until those kids from Hawthorne came along.....(and later Bush).

Well, I remember when I was in kindergarten (4 0r 5 years old) St Joes was doing a performance at the 1962 worlds fair in flushing meadow park NY, They (They a fellow by the name of Frank Phifer)came into my classroom and asked if we wanted to help. A few of us jumped up and stood there holding horns. Well with that excitement I wanted to stayed with it. My mom took me to practice and with the other parents formed a support group. Then my entire neighborhood knew what Drum Corps was about. After every championship the corps won as we got home we marched and played our show. (sometimes at 3am)

My point is that in order for Drum Corps to come back and kick the power to be that has been destroying it we (yes I said we) need to get rooted within our neighborhoods. Now I know that is kind of tough to do. Memberships of our different corps comes from 100's of miles away. But the Corps has to be located (rooted) somewhere. The corps presents has to be felt within there area. That will help draw membership and money and that will start the rebuild.

New motto

"Do Drum Corps, Get Involved"

when i started drum corps i was 14 years old. i didn't rely on my parents. i got to rehearsal myself. and so did all the other younger guys. we had about 14-15 of us. so what happened? did we get so soft and got so pantywasted that kids can't get anywhere with out mom? how pathetic. and that's what's wrong with america and drum corps. look if you want to do something bad enough you will figure it out. yes cost is a problem but i'm telling you, NOBODY KNOWS DRUM CORPS EXISTS! it's been dying for decades.

Edited by BigLou

Keep it civil.

:bleah:

:tongue:/>