Bluecoats 2013

Finally got to see their show on video. Very nice!

Their new uniform looks different than the artist conception. It is nice. I liked the old ones better .

Re-watching the show since it went up on FN. Really starting to dig it. Every one of their shows for the past 4 or 5 years makes me want to march with them. Such a great corps.

Also noticed this, one of the first sets. Is it supposed to be an American flag on purpose? I would assume so, I hadn't seen the set from this high until this video.

Bluecoats Screenshot

• Like 1

Also noticed this, one of the first sets. Is it supposed to be an American flag on purpose? I would assume so, I hadn't seen the set from this high until this video.

I'd say definitely an American flag. Also a callback to similar sets they've done, eg the final set of 2010.

Re-watching the show since it went up on FN. Really starting to dig it. Every one of their shows for the past 4 or 5 years makes me want to march with them. Such a great corps.

Bluecoats Screenshot

It was very cool how the tubas rotated into that form to become the 'stars' of the flag.

Add my name to the list who just watched the show on the FanNetwork. Hmmmm... I'll start with the uniforms. I too liked the previous uniforms better. I'm just not digging how low they are cropped.

The opening number I enjoyed but then after that I got lost. I never felt emotionally connected to the music that I have in the previous years. Esp last year, that show had a powerful musical connection I loved. Such as the the Love Song. I didn't get any of that so far listening to it. Another thing I thought is odd is the use of the bleachers. I sure hope no one slips or drops a rifle and it falls below the steps during a show. Not the easiest to pick up quick. IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I have always loved the Bluecoats. Perhaps once I see this show in person I will like it a tad more. Until then...those are few cents. LOL =)

• Like 2

I too am not emotionally attached to the show... yet. It took me some time to really fall in love with 2011 (especially since that followed Metropolis) so maybe Im in the same boat again this year.

The unis do look much better in action than they did on the concept sketch.

Just watched the show myself. I enjoyed the approach of the fragmented vignettes. I thought the unis looked good, the visuals are coming along well. I coulda sworn some of the music was from Steve Reich's Different Trains but I guess not. Loved how they used the movable bleachers throughout the show. Very versatile props there. The guard outfits... Cadets did the everyone-in-different-casual-clothes in the early 90s, I believe. Including the picnic scene. I understand what they're going for, but I think I still prefer a consistent outfit.

The Akron Fan Network audio was pretty terrible throughout, IMO, but weirdly it varied corps-to-corps in exactly how it was bad. For Bloo, though, I heard way too much synth bass in every single brass hit and sampled voice and all the rest of the synth was just too much. I did love the piccolo trumpet, bari, mini-cymbal micro-band though. That was awesome.

What's this show about again?

One of the reasons I like this show ("...to look for America") is because it doesn't hit you over the head with every common and tired patriotic theme we have heard in the past. I have grown tired of marching shows which utilize every clichéd American theme. In doing so, such designers use little creativity and hide behind a contrived sympathetic connection to the audience.

Honestly, I bet most people when they first heard the show concept were thinking that they would be witness to this:

America the Beautiful

Fanfare for the Common Man

Coming to America

The Statue of Liberty

9/11

Mount Rushmore

Lincoln or Washington, or both

Uncle Sam

Although all are great and tremendously iconic elements of the history of the United States, it is refreshing to see a new take on a "patriotic" theme that isn't necessarily nationalistic, but rather focuses on common people and the life experiences that bind them.

Kudos, Blueocats. You have found a beautiful way to challenge personal paradigms of what a show about America can be.

Edited by Elmo Blatch
  • Like 9

One of the reasons I like this show ("...to look for America") is because it doesn't hit you over the head with every common and tired patriotic theme we have heard in the past. I have grown tired of marching shows which utilize every clichéd American theme. In doing so, such designers use little creativity and hide behind a contrived sympathetic connection to the audience.

Honestly, I bet most people when they first heard the show concept were thinking that they would be witness to this:

America the Beautiful

Fanfare for the Common Man

Coming to America

The Statue of Liberty

9/11

Mount Rushmore

Lincoln or Washington, or both

Uncle Sam

Although all are great and tremendously iconic elements of the history of the United States, it is refreshing to see a new take on a "patriotic" theme that isn't necessarily nationalistic, but rather focuses on common people and the life experiences that bind them.

Kudos, Blueocats. You have found a beautiful way to challenge personal paradigms of what a show about America can be.

Totally agree, sometimes it seems patriotic shows seem to me to say"If you don't love our show, you don't love America" like a guilt trip.....but what they've done here is refreshing and rather clever!Good Job BLOO!

• Like 3