Bluecoats 2013

Is the man in the gabardine suit a spy?

Be careful! His bowtie is really a camera.

Speaking of guard uniforms, I have to wonder how they came up with these. Did the designers really pick out every article of clothing for every member, or did they tell the members, "Okay, here is your character and $20. Now go to a thrift shop." I think they're great, by the way. I was just really curious about the process while watching the show.

What a great way of putting it. I'll admit that's what I thought before seeing the graphic, which gave me hesitation, and then I saw the show, which is just fantastic in person.

One of my favorite parts of this show so far is that drum cadence coming back in the drum book every now and then. Tasteful and clever.

Thanks! There are a lot of layers to the show and I agree about the cadence.

Why is the lone tenor player scared of (or trying to scare) the girl with the red balloon?

• Like 1

Brief tangent inspired by the previous post. Three important cinematic red balloons:

Le Ballon Rouge (1956)

Le+ballon+rouge+V.jpg

The Sixth Sense (1999)

Sixth+3+Balloon.jpg

Billy's Balloon (1999)

billy-430.jpg

If the tenor player encountered the second or third balloons, his fear would be understandable!

Really enjoyed seeing the Coats production live at Jackson. At the movies it was "I'm not sure -- need to see it again." Now it's just plain "I wanna see it again !" There's so much more to their show than PRs -- they should pass them by and leave them in the dust. "Pretty" is nice and all, but too much just turns my stomach. Love the vocabulary and depth of design in all aspects of Bloo's show.

• Like 2

Upon hearing the theme of their show, I never thought that would be the type of show, and I agree that would be a pretty cheesy show. However, I don't quite see the theme coming through. I mentioned earlier in the thread that IMHO they could swap out the title of the show with anything else that they want, and the rep would probably fit just as well.

This isn't a slap on them - I'm just legitimately curious as to the design intentions and how the music ties in at all with the show.

I agree. I heard some patriotic music, witnessed a parade, and then...10 minutes of something else. I didn't recognize any music and I didn't recognize a theme. How can I be born in a country and grow up here, and yet not recognize a show about it?

Why is the lone tenor player scared of (or trying to scare) the girl with the red balloon?

A very interesting question, indeed...

Side note: I expected it to be a more nationalistic show because, well, we're a nationalistic people. Our country is constantly at war. To see a parade and then a picnic and then...stuff...was just odd. A welcome change, but just odd.

• Like 1

I agree. I heard some patriotic music, witnessed a parade, and then...10 minutes of something else. I didn't recognize any music and I didn't recognize a theme. How can I be born in a country and grow up here, and yet not recognize a show about it?

A very interesting question, indeed...

Side note: I expected it to be a more nationalistic show because, well, we're a nationalistic people. Our country is constantly at war. To see a parade and then a picnic and then...stuff...was just odd. A welcome change, but just odd.

I very much agree. I think they missed the mark on what could be a much lighter/brighter show. Also, I don't see/hear anything reminiscent to 1995 like some have suggest.

You know...Jazz is America's music...would have been perfect for them to use Jazz in this show to get back in to that idiom....you know for a change.

Love the new uniforms btw.....

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1