Southeastern Championship

Nothing to add to the topic at hand, just did a double-take when I saw another Ole Miss member. Hotty Toddy!

Hotty Toddy!!! Can't wait for football season!

From a DCA performer perspective, I dig getting Saturday to rehearse before going on for the biggest local crowd we see each year. However, Monday morning will not be fun after staying to the end... I hope it's an earlier start time. (Shameless plug: Whether you've seen Atlanta CV before or not, THIS is the year to be there at the beginning to see us.)

Also, NightBEAT, Crown's show in Charlotte, NC, is on Saturday the 27th. That could be a reason as to why it's not on that Saturday.

Individual corps' contests are filled in around the major DCI events....not the other way around.

The DUB Tour event canceled, at least the locaiton at the GWCC. DCI did not choose to have the event on Sunday but there was a conflict with a convention that has the Dome and GWCC through Saturday. I think this will be a one-time thing. If DCI wanted to keep the current tour model and not totally change everything around, they had to do the event on Sunday.

I just hope they start the event earlier so that it does not go so late. I agree that attendance will be down from previous years.

Looks like the Thirty-One Gifts National Conference will be there through Saturday now, and

they really pack the place.

I don't know how much the Georgia Dome costs DCI for the Atlanta regional but it seems that perhaps the show might be better served in another location in the Atlanta area. There are certainly plenty of facilities to choose from, Georgia Tech and UGA to name just two. Perhaps the biggest draw to that particular facility is the fact that it is a dome. With Championships always in a domed facility now, I guess the corps want as much of an opportunity as possible to play in domes going into championships.

Dan

• Like 1

I don't know how much the Georgia Dome costs DCI for the Atlanta regional but it seems that perhaps the show might be better served in another location in the Atlanta area. There are certainly plenty of facilities to choose from, Georgia Tech and UGA to name just two. Perhaps the biggest draw to that particular facility is the fact that it is a dome. With Championships always in a domed facility now, I guess the corps want as much of an opportunity as possible to play in domes going into championships.

Dan

The first year for the Atlanta show I believe was around 2008 and I've been at the show every year but 2009 since then. I understand the complaints people have about the dome but every year there is usually a storm that moves through in the evening and the afternoons are extremely hot! A dome is the best option for Atlanta IMO.

• Like 1

I agree, while Drum Corps is best suited for out door stadiums, I'm not sure who would want to spend an entire afternoon in the blazing summer sun and southern heat/humidity watching the show. Attendance for the event as a whole and especially anyone performing before 7pm would take a nose dive if they went to an outdoor venue for this show. Also, given that college football season is a month away, I doubt UGA or Tech would be thrilled to have a full-day of 'marching bands' on their grass.

I think what will be interesting is the shroud will be up for the Thirty One Gifts convention so the Dome will have a black covered ceiling for DCI as well. I think that happened a few years ago at the Atlanta regional but I can't remember.

• Like 1

I would have to go with those who believe Sunday is not the best day for the Southeastern championships. For many Sunday is still a family and or church day, and as a few people mentioned, traveling will be an issue for those who live a distance from the show and have to work on Monday. If a portion of the fanbase would not attend for these reasons, it makes better business sense to avoid this type of a show on a Sunday. I do realize that major sporting events are held on Sundays and it does not deter from attendance, and while DCI is my Major League, it is not Major League Baseball, NASCAR, or the NBA, NHL, or NFL. That being said, Sunday is a perfect day for a smaller scale show, and if parking is easy and inexpensive and food prices are reasonable, it could be a family event and introduce new fans to drum corps.

Drum corps on Sunday yes, but a show with about twenty competitors, probably not the best idea.

Edited by Tim K

2005 was the first year for the ATL show. It would great for it to be an outdoor show but its hot as mess in July in the southeast and it takes all day. Meaning we would have to sit in the sun for the better part of 8 hours. I like the dome ha