No Florida?

It really might just be that no one in Florida offered to organize an event. I know that in 2009 & 2010 Choctawhatchee H.S. (Panhandle between Panama City and Pensacola) hosted a DCI event and it "seemed" to be successful. I think that 2009 was the year that corps had an outbreak of flu and I believe CC pulled out as a result. Having said that, it also might be a function of travel/fuel costs. Florida is a very long state and to get to Orlando is no easy trip particularly if there is nothing scheduled in the panhandle any longer. And yes, BAC has a big presence in Florida for camps (or at least used to). Oh hell.....who knows?

The costs between TX and the East Coast don't appear to be all that different.

I love Bristol, RI. They have a wonderful seaside City along the Atlantic and the best parade you could possibly imagine. Anyone that has ever marched in their parade knows exactly what I'm talking about. They LOVE their Drum Corps here that march in their parade on the 4th of July and the Corps that compete. Their stadium stands however are extremely small in their town. The ticket prices are $25- 30, and $10 to sit on the lawn. There is no high elevation in the stands. They typically will have 4-5 World Class Corps in competition..... by contrast, San Antonio, TX for example will be fortunate to have 23 World Class Division Corps in a large stadium, with high viewing points for all that desire it, for ticket prices between $35- $65. The $35 ticket price for the 23 Corps in San Antonio, because of the stands, will provide much better overall viewing than the overall viewing capacity for the 5 World Class Corps at $30. in Bristol. I could give several other examples similar to this. While the costs are similar, the value appears to me to be much greater in the Southwest, especially when the state of Texas is fortunate enough to have the larger regional shows now each and every year.

Edited by BRASSO

Yea I would think that there would be a show somewhere in the panhandle. Maybe Tallahassee area but I would love to see some shows in Florida.

It really might just be that no one in Florida offered to organize an event. I know that in 2009 & 2010 Choctawhatchee H.S. (Panhandle between Panama City and Pensacola) hosted a DCI event and it "seemed" to be successful. I think that 2009 was the year that corps had an outbreak of flu and I believe CC pulled out as a result. Having said that, it also might be a function of travel/fuel costs. Florida is a very long state and to get to Orlando is no easy trip particularly if there is nothing scheduled in the panhandle any longer. And yes, BAC has a big presence in Florida for camps (or at least used to). Oh hell.....who knows?

So far in 2013, the Boston Crusaders have only had ONE full corps camp in Florida, which was in February. They are scheduled to return to FL for this upcoming camp, and then will be focused on move-in in Massachusetts on Memorial Day Weekend. So, they will have spent two full weekends in FL this year.

And, I agree with BRASSO's weather assessment. It is brutal to rehearse and perform in Florida in July, imo.

I love Bristol, RI. They have a wonderful seaside City along the Atlantic and the best parade you could possibly imagine. Anyone that has ever marched in their parade knows exactly what I'm talking about. They LOVE their Drum Corps here that march in their parade on the 4th of July and the Corps that compete. Their stadium stands however are extremely small in their town. The ticket prices are $25- 30, and $10 to sit on the lawn. There is no high elevation in the stands. They typically will have 4-5 World Class Corps in competition..... by contrast, San Antonio, TX for example will be fortunate to have 23 World Class Division Corps in a large stadium, with high viewing points for all that desire it, for ticket prices between $35- $65. The $35 ticket price for the 23 Corps in San Antonio, because of the stands, will provide much better overall viewing than the overall viewing capacity for the 5 World Class Corps at $30. in Bristol. I could give several other examples similar to this. While the costs are similar, the value appears to me to be much greater in the Southwest, especially when the state of Texas is fortunate enough to have the larger regional shows now each and every year.

Personally, I wouldn't count a regional against a local show. However, there are more WC finalists at the TX shows, as it is so close to the San Antonio regional, schedule-time-wise.

The Choctawhatchee H.S. show in 2009 and 2010 was actually organized by Spirit (I know because my wife ran those shows).

This year, there is a show in Opelika, Ala., which is only a three-hour drive north of the Panhandle area. That show, on July 25, is also sponsored by Spirit of Atlanta.

It's hot, humid, it rains and storms a lot. In 09, the show at the Citrus Bowl was just a standstill after the storm stopped and the field was basically a lake (now it's artificial turf right? should be better). We drove all the way to orlando for one show.. suually involved a rehearsal day before, and then one after on our way out of Florida (second year it was half rehearsal day half free day at Panama City Beach... AWESOME!). But seriously.. swamp tour can be bad enough without Florida in there... I'd take the 108 degree heat at spring training in San Antonio over the humidity bull #### in Florida any day...

• Like 1

What part of FL?

If anyone is interested in increasing DCI activity in Florida, please PM me! This is an active project of mine and MANY others :thumbup:/> .