A Few Questions...

Okay so I've got a few questions for you guys and gals regarding a few different things so here we go.

-1.) How did those of you who have marched choose who you marched for? Was it a passion towards an organization ("I love what Corps X does over what Corps Y does, Ive always wanted to be a part of Corps Z") or was it more logistical ("Corps A is located closer/less expensive vs. Corps B")

-2.) This kind of goes with my first question, and that's what finally made you want to be in a corps? What was the thing you saw in drum corps that was the straw that broke the camels back, and you just knew you had to be a part of it? Or what outside influences pushed you into drum corps? ...or both?

-3.) This is not relevant to the first two but I figured I'd ask it here rather than open another thread, but I've heard that if you're auditioning for Bluecoats, they don't take you as a rookie/someone with no previous drum corps experience. Does anyone know how much truth there is to this?

...Sorry, I know it's a lot to digest in a single post but Im just curious.

#1 - For myself personally, I was at a marching band competition in Connecticut and the Boston Crusaders had a booth setup playing videos on a VCR/TV. I filled out an application at that booth and marched with BAC in 1990 and 91. It also helped that I was going to college in Boston as well, so it was a really good fit for me logistically. I loved marching band in high school and thought drum corps would be a cool thing to do at the time. THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE!

#2 - I would have to say that the follow-up by the hornline section leader is what kept me motivated. I felt really welcomed by both staff and peers. This was definitely a deciding factor my rookie year to stick with it.

#3 - I see others have commented on this question, so I'll leave that to them.

• Like 1

Okay so I've got a few questions for you guys and gals regarding a few different things so here we go.

-1.) How did those of you who have marched choose who you marched for? Was it a passion towards an organization ("I love what Corps X does over what Corps Y does, Ive always wanted to be a part of Corps Z") or was it more logistical ("Corps A is located closer/less expensive vs. Corps B")

-2.) This kind of goes with my first question, and that's what finally made you want to be in a corps? What was the thing you saw in drum corps that was the straw that broke the camels back, and you just knew you had to be a part of it? Or what outside influences pushed you into drum corps? ...or both?

-3.) This is not relevant to the first two but I figured I'd ask it here rather than open another thread, but I've heard that if you're auditioning for Bluecoats, they don't take you as a rookie/someone with no previous drum corps experience. Does anyone know how much truth there is to this?

1. Close location, and cool people. They were encouraging and inclusive...quickly felt a sense of belonging.

2. It wasn't what I saw in drum corps, it was the sound: greatest beats ever, and loud loud face peeling brass. That's what I'm talkin' about.

1) I auditioned for the corps I had always liked: a perennial Top 5 corps that was also a multi-champion winner. I made it pretty far in auditions, but I never really liked the "vibe" of the organization at camp so I stopped going to camps. The following summer I taught a Div. 3 corps (where I met my wife), and she convinced me to march somewhere. Money was a problem, as I was in college & engaged, but she turned me onto a smaller corps that was only in its second year of World Class (they had previously been pretty successful in Div. 2). One of her best friends was a visual instructor, and lived in our town. I went to a camp, with MASSIVE flue, and I loved the vibe. The vets were really cool, the staff was solid, and I was hooked. It just "felt" right. I marched both of my years of eligibility with them, even though competitively we never finished the year where we wanted to. Through the drum corps I ended up marching a few seasons of a WGI PIW group, where I had even more fun/learned even more. I just knew after going to a camp that the members/vets were awesome, the staff/director/volunteers were great, we ate well, equipment & facilities were good, etc: everything felt good and I knew it was the right corps for me.

2) I had been a fan of drum corps for five years before going to audition for my favorite corps. I didn't like the experiences I had at camps there, and it kind of turned me off of wanting to march. When I was teaching the Div. 3 corps, watching World Class Finals, I knew I wanted to march and my wife (who I was dating by that point for a few months), told me I had to march. She marched for three years and really believed that the experience was that important: important enough that I had to do it and to not let trivial things get in my way.

Don't form an opinion based on other peoples opinions! Go to a camp, or hang out at a practice some weekend, talk with instructors, caption heads, marching members, and form your own opinion.How many times do we pass up things based on what other people say??

• Like 1

Don't form an opinion based on other peoples opinions! Go to a camp, or hang out at a practice some weekend, talk with instructors, caption heads, marching members, and form your own opinion.How many times do we pass up things based on what other people say??

WINNER!!!

:thumbup:/>

WINNER!!!

:thumbup:/>/>

+1. I'm for sure going to head down to Dennison for the camp and if I dont I'll go down just to watch, see what it's like, and not same corp and work style, but BD B is staying at my high school in August for a show they'll be performing near by, and I'll be watching them too. Thanks for all the answers guys. As for the comments made earlier on Pomp and Circumstance, I apologize if I came across as snobbish or anything like that. I meant it in good humor, I really do not have any issues playing it, I had the honor of playing it for my sister as she walked last year, so I understand what it means to other people.

Thank you for clearing that up. I would give anything for the oppurtunity to march sometime within the next 4 years.

This is all it takes to march.

Make it happen. Sooner is best. Anywhere. Marching with any corps will be a valuable experience. It only takes one season to become a vet.

Edited by c mor

If that "sorry" was directed at me, then I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound critical. Rather I just wanted to point you toward better data. DCP can only get you so far. Spending time with the Bluecoats staff is where you want to be to get the answers you seek.

HH

No just a general apology forr stirring the pot if you will. I appreciate you pushing me in the direction I want go. I would also like to add upon asking my mother today, there is a definite very good possibility of me attending the Bluecoats camp :D

Edited by shawnguitarguy

+1. I'm for sure going to head down to Dennison for the camp and if I dont I'll go down just to watch, see what it's like, and not same corp and work style, but BD B is staying at my high school in August for a show they'll be performing near by, and I'll be watching them too. Thanks for all the answers guys. As for the comments made earlier on Pomp and Circumstance, I apologize if I came across as snobbish or anything like that. I meant it in good humor, I really do not have any issues playing it, I had the honor of playing it for my sister as she walked last year, so I understand what it means to other people.

Don't let them knock you down. I'm a drummer, and any drummer who remembers playing P&C knows exactly the angst you hinted at. It's grueling for any percussionist to play.

Garfields_kid will likely be attending the camp at Dennison, too, (we're in C'bus) so make it a point to come down. The camp is not directed at any particular skill level so there's learnin'-a-plenty for everyone.

And absolutely go the BDB rehearsal - excellent teaching technique there. Get as much experience at camps as you can now so you'll get a better idea of teaching styles for when you're ready to try out. Could be 'Coats, PR, Crown, Scouts - whoever - we're fortunate to live in this part of the country and have these choices. Kids in Wyoming don't have the choices we do so you should take advantage of all of them.

(And if your Mom needs convincing, put her in touch with me. I'll convince her to let you go.)

Good luck and remember what ScoJo says: "If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right".