To all DCI participants

As move-ins, every day training, and full time preparations for the 2013 season now begin in earnest, my best wishes and prayers for safety and good memories for all competitors and their corps.

May you balance well the many re-(w)rites of Spring training, both the fun and the work, resulting in a most triumphant journey as you march side by side for a fantastic summer.

As you look to America's many landscapes may the insects, temperature, and weather not count you among the miserables, but help you rise to the challenge in brotherhood for growth and greater maturity.

Inspire us, impress us, and entertain us. I and the audience will gladly applaud you profusely, and that's no secret...

With admiration,

NDP

PS. See what else the DCPers are hoping for you this summer:

• Like 9

Wishing all the DCI corps safe travels, good weather, and great performances all summer long!!!

Having been around drum corps one way or another since 1967, I guess I qualify as a dinosaur. LOL. But the product that you, the members of today's DCI corps, put on the field these days never ceases to amaze me. Absolutely top-notch.

I salute all of you for your hard work and dedication. Have fun this summer!!!

• Like 2

Wishing all the DCI corps safe travels, good weather, and great performances all summer long!!!

Having been around drum corps one way or another since 1967, I guess I qualify as a dinosaur. LOL. But the product that you, the members of today's DCI corps, put on the field these days never ceases to amaze me. Absolutely top-notch.

I salute all of you for your hard work and dedication. Have fun this summer!!!

Yes... and a bit of advice that has been passed down thru the years, that still works today, imo.

A Corps Director gathered his entire Corps together in a cirle just before enter the field for competition. He said a few words, then had a couple of section staffers say a few words of instruction, reminders, etc and so forth. Lots of words spoken. Then the Corps Director turned to the Percussion instructor and asked him if he had any words for his drumline. He said " Yes ". He told them : " Don't suck ". The Corps chukled under their breath. It was probably the right words at the right time as it was fitting, to the point, and lessened the tension.

So, my words to everyone that marches this year is the same as that percussion instructor. And better yet, I know that you won't. Thats because I know the work that you'll all put in this summer. So go kick arse out there this summer and have fun doing it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

What these guys said!!!

(Pretty clever how he used many of the show themes, eh Crown?)

• Like 2

I'm not the hardest drum corps fan to please, but I will have to say that 2011 and 2012 impressed me, and keep in mind I've been following corps fanatically since 1975, well actually 1976. I knew I loved a good drum corps in 75 but it wasn't till 76 I became obsessed. In 2011 I saw what I believed was a marked improvement in engaging the audience and I was blown away by more than a few corps in 2012. In both years there were some notable surprises. Just prior to finals in 2011 I saw Blue Devils and Cadets in Lawrence and assumed Blue Devils would finally get their third straight title but Cadets exorcized their demons :devil:/>/>/> (by demons I mean rough patches, not the fined young men and women wearing maroon) and the angels won. I didn't expect to see Spirit return but they did. 2012 had its share of surprises too: Crossmen returning being the most notable. I was reminded a bit of 1979 and 80 and 1988 and 89, in that i enjoyed just about the entire slate of finalists.

For 2013, I know what I will see--young people doing their best with skills I never had, and I will enjoy what I see. What I would love to see is a continuation of what has been happening in the past few years. A couple of first time finalists would be a nice surprise and I'd welcome a returrn of some old favorites, though I can't say who I'd eliminate. I'd love to see a first time champion and while I'd be happy if it's Crown, I'd really be happy if it's Boston Crusaders. It may be wishful thinking but after the Bruins' come from behind victory last night, anything is possible for any group with the city of Boston as part of its name it, and before anyone says well all the members of BAC hail from Florida, most of the Bruins did not hail from the Boston area either!! :rolleyes:/>/>/>

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2

Good luck and best wishes to all those marching! Wish I was out there with you. But I'll passionately be rooting you all on from the stands on June 22 in Akron, August 3 in Avon Lake, and August 6th in Massilon/Canton. Make it a great season!

Edited by shawnguitarguy

PS. See what else the DCPers are hoping for you this summer:

I am hoping all of the countless voulenteers have a healthy and safe drum corps season.

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 2