Complete Crowd Silence

Name memorable moments during a show when the crowd was utterly silent, no coughing, screaming,talking, whistling.......nothing but the corp on the field. Usually this happens during the ballad or solos. I guess I should add I work as a overnight stocker and we're allowed mp3 players ipods, so to make the time go faster I listen to drum corps on my first night back from my weekend and the last day of my work for a solid 8 hours. I've got all the finals performances from 2008 to the present, The best one I can think of is Carolina Crown 2009 the Grass is Always Greener. A little after 9 and a half minutes into the show, just the vibes or pit is playing a few notes while the players on the field were frozen during a movement, during the Somewhere Over the Rainbow bit.

Edited by msumello
  • Like 2

SCV 2000, during Adagio for Strings (until the end, of course)

Suncoast Sound 1984 during Requiem

That's off the top of my head...

• Like 1

Bluecoats 1995. During the flag presentation. It's dead silent, except for the guard girl crying. That is an emotional moment right there.

Name moments during a show when the crowd was utterly silent, no coughing, screaming,talking, whistling.......nothing but the corp on the field. Usually this happens during the ballad or solos.

Yes. Ballads mostly.

Its ALWAYS quiet during these moments with the audience with ALL the Corps, as the piece requires this from the audience. The quieter the playing the quieter the audience too, unless of course there are some rude people around us, in which case it doesn't really matter if the Corps is playing a soft and quiet ballad or something fortissimo.

For a specific example of many that could be cited, Boston's baritone solo in " Bring him Home " from Les Mis. from 2 years ago, particularly the long final chord playing by the soloist to the ballad's conclusion.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Legends 2012 - - the first tolling of the bell. Beautifully filmed by the camera crew at OC finals - - check it out on Fan Network.

• Like 1

Add to the list '08 Crown, their Finis show, especially at the end of the ballad with the final strains of the "Somewhere" theme

I love moments like that, where the audience is so moved or has such awe of the beauty of a moment that they can't bear to diminish it by making a sound. Honestly it can be as great a compliment as a standing O

• Like 1

Add to the list '08 Crown, their Finis show, especially at the end of the ballad with the final strains of the "Somewhere" theme

I love moments like that, where the audience is so moved or has such awe of the beauty of a moment that they can't bear to diminish it by making a sound. Honestly it can be as great a compliment as a standing O

Totally agree...sometimes its not what people do, but what they don't. Moments like that reach down to our very core......

Totally agree...sometimes its not what people do, but what they don't. Moments like that reach down to our very core......

I agree. We really can't gauge audience reception to a show based upon the audience quietness either, as some shows are meant to be cerebral rather than primarily one geared to tug at the heart. Some shows end very softly too.. by design. But when the show is over, no matter the show, its pretty clear to most if the show resonated with most in the audience by its level of enthusiasm. Most people can gauge the difference between a quiet appreciative golf clap and that of a loud and enthusiastic applause. But either way, ballads almost universally receive quiet responses from most in the audience, as thats what ballads do with audiences even beyond the realm of Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO