Complete Crowd Silence

How bout blue devils 2009 show from the backwards jazz running part until the Tuba ends it.

...on second thought, a lot of that show had crowd silence.

• Like 6

Phantom Regiment 1988. The Brass Chorale in Romeo and Juliet. Still one of my favorite all time moments. It just drew you in. So beautiful.

• Like 1

I've only watched live since '08, but I'll agree with the OP. You could hear a pin drop during that moment in '09 Crown.

• Like 1

I apologize in advance as this is a DCI thread...........but,...........

1980 DCA Finals - Reading Buccaneers

every person in the entire place, dead silent,.............4 or 5 seconds of complete focus on one place, one person,..........not a breath,...........into a complete explosion of brass, percussion, and stadium full of people screaming their brains out,.........I will never forget that,..............

Tooting my own horn a bit. 1994 Regiment before the final chord in Claire De Lune. When we did the turn to the back corner, you could hear a pin drop.

Or a "Sweet" if you turn up the recording enough. :)

• Like 2

On the slightly negative (and again..DCA) side....the end of my "She's Not There" solo in 06 SoCal Dream. Nailed it at finals....got bupkis for a response. I got more love when I fraked it out West! *argh*

Back to DCI...end of Garfield's 2nd 83 chart was pretty quiet....and the end of 84 SCV -- right before the last notes and during the last chord (except for someone saying "Oh....f### yeah!")

'84 Suncoast

• Like 2

Another example of audience silence and focus, would be North Star's soprano soloist in both '78- '80.

His Corps comes to a complete halt near the end of a song in the middle of their show. No movement by any other marcher in the Corps.... not a muscle. No sound in the audience either. You can hear a pin drop in the audience. No one else playing, but him. Out front and center. All the exposure, risk, demand one can imagine. And he hits the incredibly difficult high notes in " Ole ", finishes, then the audience enmasse relinquishes their quiet silence and immediately stands up cheering wildly. Its a classic moment of extremely quiet silence coupled with complete focus and attentiveness by the audience then followed by spontaneous and loud expressions of exuberance on the part of said national audiences. And thats why this marcher ( Jerry Noonan ) has been inducted into the Drum Corps Hall of Fame for such quiet time, efficient solo playing. There are so many examples of audience silence, quiet and focus, that its really difficult to limit this dynamic to just a handful. There are dozens that had the audience totally quiet and in the palm of their hands like this. I'd agree with all of the ones mentioned so far on ths thread as fitting that bill too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Name memorable moments during a show when the crowd was utterly silent, no coughing, screaming,talking, whistling.......nothing but the corp on the field. Usually this happens during the ballad or solos. The best one I can think of is Carolina Crown 2009 the Grass is Always Greener. A little after 9 and a half minutes into the show, just the vibes or pit is playing a few notes while the players on the field were frozen during a movement, during the Somewhere Over the Rainbow bit.

That was a celeste patch on a synthesizer, prior to the mallets coming in, and it was the single most magically serene moment I've ever experienced in drum corps.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2