Blue Devils 2013

I also don't think posters should speak as if they know something that they just have no way of knowing.

Well.. I guess with this logic, out the window go all the predictions and their accompanying comments on the prediction threads on here.

Actually, what does nature have to do with the Seasons anyway?

Well, with my neighbors dog, when nature calls, my nearest tree will do. Its his right of Spring now.

• Like 3

You missed his point completely...and I mean completely. The people he was refering to were not cheering for him and his point was that they came pre-alienated.

Nope, I call BS on that. I mean, it sounds so...Beiber to complain about audience members disliking a corps' artistic concept. We all come to the table with preconceptions-good or bad. Does that give corps members a license to tell people who dislike your so-called art to spin on a gong mallet? Absolutely not. If a person is not emotionally mature enough to handle criticism then perhaps music shouldn't be their vocation.

The real question is why can't an audience member say "I appreciate the technical aspect of your performance, but the concept left me wonting" without being villified or looked at as a target to throw up the proverbial middle finger to because they fail to understand the light that your art is bringing into the world?

Someone help me out - I may just be missing the obvious, but what do trees have to do with Rite of Spring?

Mike

about as much as folding chairs and the Great Depression

• Like 5

about as much as folding chairs and the Great Depression

Jeff Ream ladies and gentlemen. He'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.

Someone help me out - I may just be missing the obvious, but what do trees have to do with Rite of Spring?

Mike

The Rite of Spring represents pagan Russia, no? Tree worship was common, as Pagans consider them sacred.

100 Trees?

That’s a lot of stuff on the field. If they set the stage and them lose them, it could be cool. But I don’t like props. I think corps should get dinged for poor use of props yet they never do and since 2008 BD prop MO has been to use them as a visual reference point for drill – run to that tree in 2 counts – which isn’t’ ‘marching’ in my book so they are a visual cheat

But, we’ll see – I’m less nervous about these than Cadets 16 towers of junk hogging the field

Oh, I think BD got robbed in 95 –I was there, loved the Cavies show but BD was way better – I’d had Cadets in 4th though, Madison over them maybe even put Scouts in second with a GE/ Horn line bonus - that Cavie show was dirty at the end and that hornline was weak

16towers vs. 100 trees? Yea, I can see how the towers can bother you..

That is my point...I have no idea what they think when designing a show. I don't make definitive "they are doing this or they mean that" or other similar statements.

If a show leaves you with "no idea" what the designers were thinking, that is a design failure. So far, though, you are the first person I have heard that reaction from regarding 2012 BD.

So what did you think of their show? Everyone has a right to their opinion. I think we all understand that your interpretation of their design would, by definition, not be a definitive statement.

If we must have definitive statements, though, the corps did put out a show description around this time last year. Much of what is being discussed here draws upon what the corps stated in that writeup.

I don't love props but if done well, I can see where it can boost visual effect. If you have 130 MM on the field (excluding pit) and add 50 trees (or mirrors, chairs etc), you now have 180 elements which can move or be staged to transform a field into whatever mood you're attempting to create.

BD has been much better than let's say, Cadets, in utilizing props effectively. So when BD announces props will be utilized, I'm ok. On the other hand, when Cadets say it, I'm crossing my fingers. No other corps comes to mind as far as consistently being effective with props..

I understand that everyone has their own opinion but can we actually talk about 2013 season and not what happened in the past any word from blue devils spring training

• Like 2