Blue Devils 2013

You don't have to be so convoluted here......let me answer you very clearly by saying that I was a Dolphin fan back in the day and when the Steelers, Raiders or Bills came to town, I nearly had lock-jaw on Monday morning from booing, hissing, salivating and foaming at the mouth. So, I get your analogy....but it's stupid. Not that you're stupid....but it is!

I disagree; part of the aspects of all Major League sports always has been, and always will be, the booing; and it is not stupid or idiotic for the fans to express themselves in such a manner.

Comparing professional athletes to Drum Corps marching members leaves the road immediately when you understand that one is paid ridiculous money for doing what they do and they do it for the highest bidder.....while the other pays ridiculous money (comparatively) for the privilege to march a corps they love, wanting to be part of and work hard in the hope of the experience and at least appreciation for their effort. The Pro Athlete leaves the stadium, win or lose, with a big pay check....the DC MM leaves the stadium with only the thought of how they did personally and as a corps, and maybe doing better next time. Professional sports is combat by another name..... while DC is art, entertainment and other stuff, all of which is not combat.....and designed to be uplifting, character building, educational and #### fun. I hope you see the difference.

So, DCI is 'not' a Major League of anything?

Edited by Stu

I don't think booing is considered acceptable at any performing art. That's the main issue; yes it's a competition, but it's mostly a performing art.

Behavior at sports and performing arts are covered by different clauses in the social contract. In sports everybody is there just to have fun and relax. The fans go a bit wild. But in performing arts the rules are just different. You can boo a symphony orchestra, but you'll be rightly shunned if you do.

Stu, your excuses about marketing slogans and the touring model are non sequitur . I bet the New York Philharmonic goes on tour, and spends more money than BD, but If you boo them or any other performing art, you're a tool.

The fact that it's a youth activity is secondary I think, but not irrelevant. As Stu points out, you can boo a ref at a little league game (although you're pushing the envelope) but if you boo the team itself, and then say you object to the coaches methods, well, you're a tool. Nobody cares why you booed the kids; you booed kids!

And it doesn't matter than it's a competition; try booing a spelling bee and see what happens.

So it's really a social contract double-whammy.

So, DCI is a kid thing like a spelling bee or a performing art thing like a youth symphony and not a Major League at all?

If you wanna run with the big dogs, you gotta #### on the tall trees!

But.... you do not want the trees and shrubs to Boooooooooo for getting #### on. Convenient philosophy you have there!

What if most audience members feel that booing disrupts the show experience they paid good money for?

What if booing, though it happens regularly in professional sports audiences, is no more appropriate there than in corps audiences?

What if DCI, in adopting the moniker "Major League", never intended the parallel with professional sports to be all-encompassing?

What if the tooth fairy actually existed?

Depending on where she gets her quarters, we might all be a little better off.

But while the tooth fairy does not exist,

(1) DCI is no more likely to have meant the phrase "Major League" to encourage rude audiences then they meant it to mean the performers would get paid;

(2) Booing the players is tasteless even at sporting events, except in the most egregious situations; and

(3) DCI competitions comprise musical performances, from which booing distracts, just as it would at the symphony or opera. (So do certain positive types of fan expressions--I'm looking it you, Crystal.)

(1) DCI is no more likely to have meant the phrase "Major League" to encourage rude audiences then they meant it to mean the performers would get paid;

If you claim Major League for 'promotion' of claiming the best of the best in the world competition then you must take the good with the bad.

(2) Booing the players is tasteless even at sporting events, except in the most egregious situations; and

I disagree. Booing in Major League competition is very acceptable and not tasteless.

(3) DCI competitions comprise musical performances, from which booing distracts, just as it would at the symphony or opera. (So do certain positive types of fan expressions--I'm looking it you, Crystal.)

Symphonies and Operas do not engage in Major League competition; so they are not applicable.

Edited by Stu

If you claim Major League for 'promotion' of claiming the best of the best in the world competition then you must take the good with the bad.

Again, I'm unconvinced the question requires a binary answer.

I disagree. Booing in Major League competition is very acceptable and not tasteless.

I really don't care if people boo or not at a DCI event. For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that the whole "marching major league" marketing strategy is actually pretty lame, as is any allusion to drum corps being a "sport". Then again, I don't think competitive ice skating is a sport either.

Your mileage, however, may vary...

(1) DCI is no more likely to have meant the phrase "Major League" to encourage rude audiences then they meant it to mean the performers would get paid

If you claim Major League for "promotion" of claiming the best of the best in the world competition then you must take the good with the bad.

So DCI "must" ensure that members get paid for their hard work, just like Major League athletes?

So DCI "must" ensure that members get paid for their hard work, just like Major League athletes?

Yes; all actual Major Leagues consist of paid professional adult players/performers. So, IMO, DCI should be a real Major League or drop the pretense title.

I really don't care if people boo or not at a DCI event. For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that the whole "marching major league" marketing strategy is actually pretty lame, as is any allusion to drum corps being a "sport". Then again, I don't think competitive ice skating is a sport either.

I 100% agree with this!