Blue Devils 2013

The only way to communicate disapproval is to boo?!?! Maybe if you are a caveman who lacks basic speech and communication skills, especially in 2013 with the not-really-new/high tech implements such as phones, email, online chat/communications, etc.

If you're talking actually live, on-the-spot, in-the-moment voicing of displeasure, such as a perceived bad call of an ump at a sports event, perhaps boo'ing in that situation is the only option.

But drum corps is entirely different from on-the-fly officiating. Corps play the same show all summer long, directors and easily accessible via online email contacts, after shows in the parking lot, via notes left at the souvie booth, etc. There are a myriad of ways you can voice your displeasure of a show design (or even a performance, if, say, the brass line was so out of tune you were personally offended) without ever having to "boo."

If you are so hung-up on scores/placements that you feel the need to boo on-the-fly, then maybe you should stop sticking around for awards so you're not placed in the idiotic position of "having" to boo. I agree w/others that boo'ing a drum corps placement or show design is indeed idiotic, and if you cannot control yourself. FWIW, in 2007 when my son was five years old he had the self-control to not 'boo' when Cadets, a show he disliked, beat a number of shows he did like. Maybe I'm expecting to much from you, Stu, or other grown adults, but I would think if a five year old can exhibit self control, even when that five year old knows he has the right to "boo" what he doesn't like, then perhaps adults can exhibit proper behavior. Don't like something? Don't clap, don't stick around to watch the performance. Find your self with the uncontrollable urge to boo a score/placement? If you can't control your behavior like a big boy, perhaps you shouldn't put yourself in that predicament: leave before scores, beat the traffic, and voice your displeasure on DCP.

This has nothing to do with hurting feelings of marching members: I have zero doubt they care about fans who act like ### holes towards them at shows (who knows: you boo'ing Blue Devils might help motivate them to be even better than if you were blase towards them - oh the irony). This has everything to do with you just being a flat out d-bag who can't control himself as well as five year olds. This is all about adult fans acting like petulant children, and for the adults in the house it gets tiring when we have whiny babies mingling with the mature adults: kind of like being annoyed with the HS kids who chatter throughout shows, at least you kinda roll your eyes and think, "annoying kids" but have hope that someday they'll find maturity and learn how to properly act at live concert events. With adults, we think "annoying ### holes" as we roll our eyes, decide it's much better off live streaming the show no FN, stop attending live shows so we don't have to deal with grown men who act like petulant, idiotic children, and stop giving our money to show sponsors.

IMO, those who are against booing (at a competition) need to grow a pair.

I’m booing this thread.

I am interested in Blue Devils 2013 and not so much whatever else this thread has become.

Guess I’m a bad cow.

Because a good cow would moo this thread.

• Like 1

Interesting. So, players need to positively channel the anger and aggression expressed after harsh checking occurs in Hockey. Players also need to positively channel the anger and aggression and not get into bench clearing brawls after a pitcher appears to purposefully bean a batter. And fans should, OMG, not boo because it may hurt some players feelings.

I am still confused about why you keep comparing adults making hundreds of thousands of dollars (some millions of dollars) to youth and young adults 21 and under PAYING thousands of dollars to entertain you.

• Like 3

I am still confused about why you keep comparing adults making hundreds of thousands of dollars (some millions of dollars) to youth and young adults 21 and under PAYING thousands of dollars to entertain you.

Obviously to get attention and hear himself talk.

Or is that too devilish an editorial?

• Like 4

Obviously to get attention and hear himself talk.

Or is that too devilish an editorial?

No, I think that's about right. It sort of fits right in with the "petulant child who can't act like a mature adult & "has" to boo" mentality

• Like 2

No, I think that's about right. It sort of fits right in with the "petulant child who can't act like a mature adult & "has" to boo" mentality

Also, 'blocking' is an awesome feature. It works pretty good on DCP: if only we could 'block' other petulant man-children at shows who feel the need to boo...

• Like 1

booing Drum Corps in performance is clearly inappropriate, imo... and its good to know that it really is a rare occurance as for the most part even people that may not like a show, unlike most sporting events, don't show their disapproval by booing. Booing is common in sports. Riots at soccer matches resulting in death are not that uncommon at soccer matches in Europe and other places. We witness booing here in the US not just in professional sports, but even in college amateur sports. With many 18-22 years olders playing college sports they can be booed from the moment they step off the team bus on away games. That said, there is the natural distinction we mske with sports and Drum Corps which is that Drum Corps is fundamentally within the Performing Arts. This is where it is correct that DCI needs to be careful when itself makes the connection between sports and Drum Corps. That because when they make the connection they naturally open themselves up to take in both the good as well as the bad in that connection and comparison.

Since this is a BD thread, it might be helpful to understand that BD itself brought into the public square with its theme a movement and a place ( Dadaism, and Club Voltaire ) that was chock full of booing, catcalls, and an environment where both audience and performers themselves threw things at one another from stage to audience and from audience to stage. Fights at the Club Voltaire in Zurich took place almost nightly.. even amongst perfomers themselves on occasion. It was choas and anarchy most nights there and police were arresting unruly people there left and right. Booing was the least of the neighbors concerns around this Club with what what going on there each nights. So, this is just a little perspective here. BD's show last year, im my opinion, was actually better described for its considerable restraint exercised by most national Drum Corps audience goers, given BD's controversial theme and from which it drew its inspiration from.

Edited by BRASSO

I did not make the comparison, the corps staff and DCI staff made that comparison: Marching Music's Major League (the best marching performers in the world competing against each other in a Major League environment).

Also, 'blocking' is an awesome feature. It works pretty good on DCP: if only we could 'block' other petulant man-children at shows who feel the need to boo...

Yep, that's the ticket! I see that you are all for censoring the opinions in which 'you' consider to be petulant man-children opinions.

... there is the natural distinction we make with sports and Drum Corps which is fundamentally a Performing Arts. This is where it is correct that DCI needs to be careful when itself makes the connection between sports and Drum Corps. That because when they make the connection they naturally open themselves up to take in both the good as well as the bad in that connection and comparison.

Then remove the Major League aspect from describing the competition which directly relates it to the competitive sports! Or, accept the booing that comes with all Major League sports!

Since this is a BD thread, it migght be helpful to understsand that BD itself brought into the public square a movement and a place ( Dadaism, and CLub Voltaire ) that was chock full of booing, catcalls, and an environment where both audience and performers themselves threw things at one another from stage to audience and from audience to stage. Fights at the Club Voltaire in Zurich took place almost nightly.. even amongst perfomers thremselves on occasion. It was choas and anarchy most nights and police were arrsting people there all the time. Booing was the least of the neighbors concerns with what what going on there each night. So, this is just a little perspective here. BD's show last year, im my opinion, was actually better described for its considerable restraint exercised by most national Drum Corps audience goers, given BD's controversial theme and from which drew its inspiration from.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!!