Sad News - Passing of DCPer SKY (Steve Young)

No idea how his family and friends feel about me posting this here. But since some DCPers talked to and posted with Steve, I thought this should be shared. If a problem please let the mods know and I'll have no problem if this is deleted.

Just a month ago Steve handled the MC duties at the Profiles In Brass show at York, PA. About a week later the email went around that he had been admitted to the hospital with breathing problems. Long story short (and without giving personal details) he came home but was still quite ill. Just logged on and read the email that he passed this morning. Didn't know Steve that much outside of corps but we always took time to talk to each other about corps and problems we deal with in our personal lives. I miss the guy already and will have to dig out the Marine CD he gave me a few years back. "We were talking about <forget what it was> and thought you'd appreciate this. Heavens knows I have a box of them from Truman for some reason."

I know Steve was in a bunch of corps and can only come up with Lancers, York White Roses (Sr and Jr), Bolling Field (IIRC) and USARD (U.S. Association of Rudimental Drummers). Will add as I find out more.

Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Jim Fawber

Edited by JimF-LowBari

No idea how his family and friends feel about me posting this here. But since some DCPers talked to and posted with Steve, I thought this should be shared. If a problem please let the mods know and I'll have no problem if this is deleted.

Just a month ago Steve handled the MC duties at the Profiles In Brass show at York, PA. About a week later the email went around that he had been admitted to the hospital with breathing problems. Long story short (and without giving personal details) he came home but was still quite ill. Just logged on and read the email that he passed this morning. Didn't know Steve that much outside of corps but we always took time to talk to each other about corps and problems we deal with in our personal lives. I miss the guy already and will have to dig out the Marine CD he gave me a few years back. "We were talking about <forget what it was> and thought you'd appreciate this. Heavens knows I have a box of them from Truman for some reason."

I know Steve was in a bunch of corps and can only come up with Lancers, York White Roses (Sr and Jr), Bolling Field (IIRC) and USARD (U.S. Association of Rudimental Drummers). Will add as I find out more.

Jim Fawber

Steve was in Westshore as well ... there's a pic of him in the Guess Who thread ... I met Steve when he lived in Fairfield CT for a few years ... he worked there as their Historical Society Director ... immediately likeable ... drum corps knowledgeable ... I remember finding him articles on the York White Roses in my old DCN's ... RIP Steve

Jim Fawber

Saw the news on FB earlier today. May he rest in peace. A good guy.

Steve was in Westshore as well ... there's a pic of him in the Guess Who thread ... I met Steve when he lived in Fairfield CT for a few years ... he worked there as their Historical Society Director ... immediately likeable ... drum corps knowledgeable ... I remember finding him articles on the York White Roses in my old DCN's ... RIP Steve

Thanks Andy some of this is starting to come back to me now. I think Steve and I posted before we met and then we face to faced either right after he moved back to PA or he was in the process of moving. And being interested in history sounds like Steve. When he MC'ed the show last month he had a ton of info on each corps, usually personal memories. Like many of the people I talked to while in Bair Post (Hanover) I picked up a lot of corps history with Steve.

RIP Steve. Always loved the stories from your time with Dad in Westshore and all the fun at Pineville

+ + +

Kudos to Nanci for having this and Andy for remembering:

Snare line

1. Steve Myers

2. Tom Rarick

3. George Satchell

4. Steve Young (IOW first on right)

4098246388_3ea4aa35fa_o.jpg

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Recieved this email today:

Steve's Memorial Service will Friday, May 24, at 11:00 a.m. The site will Mt. Zion UCC Church, 1054 Ridgewood Road, York, PA 17406. Although most of you will have GPS to find the church, simple directions would be to take North Sherman Street off of Rt. 30 in York. Drive up the hill for .6 of a mile, then turn right on Ridgewood Rd. The church will be on your right after you turn.

Link to Steves obituary:

Steve Young