DCI in Santa Clara 2017?

We're getting a new Stadium in Atlanta as well. Since we've had the second biggest competition for the last several years, with great turnout, I'm thinking maybe it's our turn again. Retractable roof means no rainouts. They can do outdoor or indoor. And boy is it shaping up to be quite the house to play in!Screen_Shot_2013-06-18_at_3.02.35_PM.png

We're getting a new Stadium in Atlanta as well. Since we've had the second biggest competition for the last several years, with great turnout, I'm thinking maybe it's our turn again. Retractable roof means no rainouts. They can do outdoor or indoor. And boy is it shaping up to be quite the house to play in!Screen_Shot_2013-06-18_at_3.02.35_PM.png

Is this official? because whats up with new domed stadiums all of a sudden all about angles. see: minnesota vikings new stadium.

i also do not reccomend the new vikings stadium as it acoustically would be a nightmare.

I hate these new stadium designs. The Falcons new stadium looks like it could really work acoustically though, at least from the inside.

YYyyeeeahh.....we heard that as one of the selling points of the Oil Can...and yet, the roof has NEVER been open for DCI...not...one...time.

Tried it with the roof open with Glassmen in 2010 on a rehearsal day. Acheson and co. were there. It was about 9 or 10am on a normal June/July day in Indy (about 80 degrees). Played a full run of the show + rehearsal time. No fundamental change in sound, really...at least nothing too different from the additions and tweaks they've made to adapt the acoustics in recent years. The stadium also heated up significantly and with no breeze going it got pretty hot. Definitely wouldn't be comfortable for anyone in the audience.

Not saying that you're wrong about it being a selling point, because it was, but not really worth it for DCI or the audience...especially if a rainstorm sprouts up out of nowhere or if it is 90+ (as it usually is in Indy during finals week).

• Like 1

One thing about keeping WC in Indy is that it keeps the tour the same each year. Each show is the "usual" weekend where everyone expects it. Remember the uproar when WC was in Pasadena in 2007 and Allentown got only an early season show (like CA gets every year)? I expect they'll make Indy permanent...Which means I will not likely attend live again (unless my kid is marching).

One thing about keeping WC in Indy is that it keeps the tour the same each year. Each show is the "usual" weekend where everyone expects it. Remember the uproar when WC was in Pasadena in 2007 and Allentown got only an early season show (like CA gets every year)? I expect they'll make Indy permanent...Which means I will not likely attend live again (unless my kid is marching).

I'm sure they'll move at some point in the future (though probably not far--St Louis, Louisville, Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City--whoever gets a big new stadium at the right time), but I would not be surprised to hear sometime in the next few years, as LOS ages, but well before 2018, that they've extended their contract into the 20s.

Edited by skywhopper