New Uniforms 2013

This feels to me like the 1991 update in that it really does add powerfully to the show theme. I can do without the reflectors and rope/tassel on the stripe, but the epaulets and dressed-up star really nail it. Overall, I'm looking forward to this show even more now.

Amen. They changed them (off the top of my head from recent memory) in 1987 (hats), 1988 (black on stripe), 1989 (masks), 1990 (white w/epaulets), 1991 (white jackets/green pants w/epaulets), 1992 (white stripe w/hats), 1993 (white jackets/black pants w/yellow), 1994 (gold on white stripe), 1996 (white "new" jacket), 1997 (short jacket), 2001 (wings w/split red/green jacket), 2005 (full red jacket), 2008 (metallic stripe), 2009 (back to 1997 design), 2011 (total new design) and 2012 (added mirrors/gold).

Mike

Edited by Rusty

Mandarins...

tumblr_movqkkkKR81s7flwqo1_1280.jpg

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 6

Bluecoats Drum Major

430137_10152940872020710_398385780_n.jpg

Sharp looking uniform, but the beard . . .

I showed all of the new uniforms to my wife, who has been to several drum corps shows but is not a full-blown drum corps fanatic like me (although she was in a very good field show marching band and did the Rose Parade, so she does have some marching background). But she does have very strong opinions about fashion and color scheme. Here were her thoughts... (DISCLAIMER) after a few glasses of wine...

-- BLUE DEVILS

"I do not agree with that feather. AT ALL. That feather is a mistake. That's all I see in their uniform."

-- BLUE STARS

"I didn't even remember them. Pretty basic. Not offensive, but nothing that stands out."

-- BLUECOATS

"I really like their hats. And their coats. That's classy. They're kind of like futuristic... tuxedos? It's a classic drum corps look."

-- BOSTON CRUSADERS

"Boring. Drab. I can't tell the guard from the corps. Are they going back to red?"

-- CAVALIERS

"The corps uniforms are awesome and I'm kind of fascinated by the show concept. But the guard uniforms [post-reveal] make me uncomfortable. Corps looks good, guard does not. They got it 50% right."

-- CAROLINA CROWN

"I love everything about their uniforms. Those are awesome. The guard uniforms, with the stripe on the side, offset the corps stripe perfectly. They're very clean."

-- JERSEY SURF

"NO. JUST NO. THEY SHOULD NOT LOOK LIKE CLOWNS."

-- MADISON SCOUTS

"They're doing some military BS, right? At least they didn't make the entire uniforms camo. I like the fleur de lis in the camo pattern. It's an interesting combination between an army uniform and a boy scout uniform."

-- MANDARINS

"They're doing an Asian show, right? Because that's a pretty Asian uniform. These boys look SO SERIOUS. It's funny, because they look so serious, but I could probably knock all of you out." (She's a cross-fit fiend, she probably could.)

-- PHANTOM REGIMENT

"LOVE IT. CLASSIC. Clean. Also 'serious' without trying too hard to look 'serious'. The Phantom Regiment uniforms are basically exactly perfect."

-- SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

"They are very Vanguard. I'm sorry, that's the only way I can describe it. I don't dislike it. Their feathers are very ostentatious, which fit the show and the corps. Ooo, people aren't going to like that."

-- TROOPERS

"I feel like they should be from the South. I don't know how I feel about the skirts on [the colorguard's] body-tards. Very colorful."

HER TOP 3:

1. Bluecoats

2. Phantom Regiment

3. Carolina Crown

HER BOTTOM 3:

1. Jersey Surf

2. Blue Devils

3. Boston Crusaders

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 5

1372047608[/url]' post='3272658']

Mandarins...

tumblr_movqkkkKR81s7flwqo1_1280.jpg

Soooooweeeeet!Wonderful colors and textures. Power and grace. I love that the some elements are unlikely to be noticed from the stands (The M logo). That makes the uniform more than just a costume.

A closer look at Boston's new grays:

tumblr_moujud52vE1s1q3eco1_1280.jpg

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 2