New Uniforms 2013

"Red - the blood of angry men! / Black - the dark of ages past! / Red - a world about to dawn! / Black - the night that ends at last!"

You know it... Red and Black

I'm not familiar with Les Mis at all. Is that song meant to reference Stendahl's novel, Le Rouge et le Noir (1830), which takes place at about the same time?

A little later: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Mis%C3%A9rables_(musical)

Thanks. So it appears that Le Rouge et le noir covers a time period of 1826-1831, while Les Miserables covers 1815-1832.

As someone else said, they're very "Captain Crunch". They just look silly to me for Vanguard. That's an iconic uniform you don't mess with much. I feel like I'm in some weird alternate universe. Those are horrid compared to what I'd expect from Vanguard.

I don't know what "weird alternate universe" you've been living in, but I see the Santa Clara Vanguard utilizing a more thorough sense of theatricality in their costuming (of the corps proper AND their color guard) in order to present their musical program and overall theme on the field. Not dissimilar (but maybe more of an extension) to what I saw in 1986 and 1987 for their Russian fantasy shows, 1988 and 1989 for their Phantom of the Opera shows, 1990 for their Carmen show, 1991 for their Miss Saigon show, 1994 for their Red Poppy show, and 1995 for their Nutcracker show. They're doing Les Mis this year. If anything, considering their actual history (and not some weird alternate universe), this is the kind of look I would EXPECT from the Vanguard for this type of program.

• Like 3

Like: Cavaliers, Phantom, Vanguard, Troopers (minus the leg thing and "grouped" buttons on the jacket)

Fence: Blue Devils, Crown (but I'm leaning towards liking them both because I can count on the fact that they'll most likely be utilized and showcased properly in the overall visual design)

HATE: Bluecoats (no words), Madison, Colts, Blue Stars (I simply don't recognize this corps anymore)

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 1

I don't know what "weird alternate universe" you've been living in, but I see the Santa Clara Vanguard utilizing a more thorough sense of theatricality in their costuming (of the corps proper AND their color guard) in order to present their musical program and overall theme on the field. Not dissimilar (but maybe more of an extension) to what I saw in 1986 and 1987 for their Russian fantasy shows, 1988 and 1989 for their Phantom of the Opera shows, 1990 for their Carmen show, 1991 for their Miss Saigon show, 1994 for their Red Poppy show, and 1995 for their Nutcracker show. They're doing Les Mis this year. If anything, considering their actual history (and not some weird alternate universe), this is the kind of look I would EXPECT from the Vanguard for this type of program.

Not I. I haven't seen a MAJOR departure from Vanguard in the last 20 years. They were always easily recognizable. This is a ridiculous look for them and cheapens the brand, IMO. And this is coming from someone who has always held SCV in high regard. In fact, I'm a big fan of the 1995 show, which I know many don't care for.

• Like 3

Not I. I haven't seen a MAJOR departure from Vanguard in the last 20 years. They were always easily recognizable. This is a ridiculous look for them and cheapens the brand, IMO. And this is coming from someone who has always held SCV in high regard. In fact, I'm a big fan of the 1995 show, which I know many don't care for.

You make it sound like they're going out there in purple and red pseudo-leotards with neon yellow polka dots and two foot long peacock feathers strapped to the backs of their heads. What they're doing is simply a theatrical use of show theme-specific costuming layered onto the existing SCV look. It falls along the same lines of what they've already done before, whether it was Fiddler's caps and the prayer shawls sewn onto the tunics, or the Russian fur hats, or Phantom masks, or totally switching the color scheme around (eliminating red as the primary color) and adding more overtly military enhancements for Miss Saigon. And based on the comments here and elsewhere I've seen and heard from fans, along with what I've heard from my friends on their staff, it hasn't cheapened anything, as the feedback they've gotten so far has been overwhelmingly positive. I think back to what they said on the PBS broadcast in the old days, they're "putting an opera on the field, with scenery and costumes and all the theatricality one would expect from a Broadway show on a football field."

• Like 1

I don't understand why someone who expresses that they don't like a particular corps' new uniforms has to succumb to the "Marsha Brady - You're Not Cool Enough To Be Near Me At The High School Dance With Davey Jones" red-negative group.

For those of you who don't know who Davey Jones was, he was once as popular as Justin Bieber except that his pants fit and he knew how to drive.

This falls in line with my belief that we never really leave high school....

• Like 4