Differences in BD, Cavies, Cadets Championship seasons

When I try to generally recall these three titan's championship seasons, it seems that BD and Cavies consistently come out strong and dominate the entire season whereas Cadets will hover in the top 4 and then move up later in the season. There may be a season or two where this didn't occur but for the most part, it does. Is this a reflection of MM talent, winter programs, design team strategy or something else? One last thread to entertain DCP'ers before the real season begins. Thanks everyone for your varied perspective.

I remember in 05 that there were a couple reasons.

1) The show was difficult enough that it took us all season to clean it.

2) There were a lot of changes in drill and music that helped the concept of the show speak better. The staff was constantly reevaluating what we were doing to better connect with the audience.

I remember one of those first shows getting our butts handed to us; but I think the staff and vets did a great job of getting us to focus on becoming the best Cadet corps ever, not to win that season against other corps. This was a huge concept that I carry with me to this day when I teach.

• Like 2

I think 2000 may have been the only season where we came out strong and finished that way up to finals. I think the reason was because after 1999, there was a fire lit under us that made us want to kick some butt. Most of the years where I've seen Cadets "come from behind" is usually because the show is so tough for the members to master at the beginning of the season but then they later on clean the snot out of it by finals, usually.

Cadets are the masters of the late season surge....nothing new here (championship season or not)

BD tends to be more consistent....but they typically come out of the gate very strong, so everyone else has to play catchup. It's a little less stressful when you're in front from the beginning.

I think some has to do with MM talent also.

Cadets just don't pull in the same type and amount of talent as BD and Cavies do. Hell... knowing some of the people who marched there they have had some real #### bags, quite a few of them some years... and they turn them in to pretty #### good performers by the end.. or at least good enough not to tick the #### out of the show and they blend in really well.

It might have something to do with the talent pool itself. But I can't pin point the reason. Could be that music education in much of the NE is ### backwards.. if it is even happening in a school at all.

The biggest thing is just the book. They put out extrememly demanding, yet effective shows every year. It takes a while to clean that. When it gets clean, and the design is firing on all cylinders like 2011 and 2005... it blows every other corps out of the water IMO. BD does not put out the same type of demand Cadets do, same with Cavies (Michael Gaines is truly a very very gifted writer. His drill is a lot easier to march than it looks. Genius stuff really. So effective... so smart, easier to clean. Not a knock.. I really admire his work, it's just different than "Cadet" drill).

The Cadets just do things differently. There is a reason they work harder than everyone else. And ya know what. The hard work pays off. No matter how much I might "hate" a Cadets show like 2006 or the narration in 2007, or the 2008 crap... I am still entertained and wowed by what the horns, guard and percussion pull off every year on that field.

• Like 5

There is a reason they work harder than everyone else.

BD goes by the mantra "work smarter, not harder." Works pretty well for them...better than Cadets if you rack up the caption and ring wins.

You don't have to beat your kids into the ground to get results. There are any number of stories of people who came to BD from other corps and were shocked at the more relaxed atmosphere (when required) and the results the staff got out of the members.

Saying Cadets work harder than anyone else isn't an indicator of anything...and it kinda slaps in the face any other cops out there, in all divisions.

• Like 5

same with Cavies (Michael Gaines is truly a very very gifted writer. His drill is a lot easier to march than it looks. Genius stuff really. So effective... so smart, easier to clean. Not a knock.. I really admire his work, it's just different than "Cadet" drill).

Incorrect.

• Like 4

BD goes by the mantra "work smarter, not harder."

Same thing with Cavaliers. There was NEVER a time when we got to a housing site that we didn't get at LEAST 2 hours on our backs to sleep. We never got right off the bus and started rehearsing, can't say the same for my many friends that marched Cadets.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the premise is correct. If I recall, Cadets have been dominant through the season more often than not in recent championship years. Someone already mentioned 2000. I think they were winning well in 1998 too. They certainly were throughought in 2011. That leaves 2005 as the exception (which is interesting because 2005 surely wasn't a banner year for either BD or Cavies).

HH

edit: fixed typo in 2011 year.

Edited by glory

I'm not sure the premise is correct. If I recall, Cadets have been dominant through the season more often than not in recent championship years. Someone already mentioned 2000. I think they were winning well in 1998 too. They certainly were throughought in 2010. That leaves 2005 as the exception (which is interesting because 2005 surely wasn't a banner year for either BD or Cavies).

HH

As recently as the 2011 championship year, they were ranked 4th at the first regional.