The next non-Cadevaliers corps to win the gold

Crown as everyone has stated is the obvious contender to dethrone 'Devlin Blue based off how fiercely competitive they're becoming and they have serious serious potential from what I've been reading.

However I think the Bluecoats have strong up-and-coming potential as well. Theyve had strong percussion (2nd in it last year) and they have (in my humble opinion) one of the best hornlines in Drum Corps. And based off what I saw this weekend when I saw them they're going to be a strong corps this year.

I'd say Crown or SCV. SCV has been there before multiple times. After the Cadeviliers, they're next in line for most championships. Their director has won multiple titles, their arrangers have done the same, and they know how to put together a show that can get to the top. Then again though, it's never about the ring at SCV. It's about wearing the star.

Crown seems to either become the next new champion, or Phantom in the 70s and 80s, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. The next year or two will either win them a title or get them stuck getting second a lot. Not that it's ever a bad thing to be getting the silver, most kids in corps would kill for that.

I think Crown is the obvious choice. They haven't been below 4th since 2008 (Cadets can't even say that). They've got their "formula" down. Now just need a bit of extra magic on the design end and hope that BD has a slightly off year.

I don't think they have their formula "down". They definitely have a formula that's beginning to define them (wind band on the field), but the "waiting for another corps to have an off-year" is a TERRIBLE mindset to have. You can't win a championship going out there and saying "Well, I hope our competition isn't good!"

• Like 4

Crown.....but please see Bruckner8's "Competitive Inertia" Theory for details on the subject.

• Like 1

Crown.....but please see Bruckner8's "Competitive Inertia" Theory for details on the subject.

They seem to be poised, much as the Cavaliers were from 87 through 91. There were a couple years there when Rosemont, in retrospect, may have had the better show than the first place corps, but they needed enough years near the top for the judges to finally give them the benefit of the doubt at the caption level.

Though, to be fair, Crown's percussion section hasn't ever shone the way that Cavaliers did in the late 80s/early 90s.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

As brilliant an observer Bruckner8 may be, even he doesn't render infallible papal statements. Statistics are numbers, not always future facts. I'd love to see a surprise. The lack of surprises in scoring contest to contest, and too often at finals is one of the turn offs to audiences the longer DCI grows old. The older DCI gets, the fewer surprises we see. When fans can predict the outcome before the show is even held, tickets stop being bought. Yes, be realistic with the memberships, but I'd like some amazing turned on performances from those with hopes that anything can happen in America.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 2

When fans can predict the outcome before the show is even held, tickets stop being bought.

One more argument against the all-inclusive regional contests, to my mind. The current set up of regionals both dilutes the audience for Finals week and makes the season entirely too predictable at every level.

• Like 1

I don't think they have their formula "down". They definitely have a formula that's beginning to define them (wind band on the field), but the "waiting for another corps to have an off-year" is a TERRIBLE mindset to have. You can't win a championship going out there and saying "Well, I hope our competition isn't good!"

I'm not saying that they have that mindset. Obviously, they will go out and put their best product on the field. But when you're competing against a corps like the Blue Devils for the top spot, it helps if you do so during a year where they stub their toe a bit.

Angels and Demons was a great show and deservedly won in 2011. But as much as I love it, I don't think it wins in 2010 or 2012.

It's not a matter of mindset by any means. More that the planets align, IMO.