Stanford Showdown

I feel like I hear this as much from BD supporters as anyone else. Do you think it's untrue in any case?

It's total crap! They understand the risk of departing from the expected and exploring the edges of musical and visual design, but the thought that they sit around arrogantly and purposefully designing to annoy the audience is rubbish. 2010 and 2013 productions definitely have elements of "disturbing" in them. The glass darkly and the playing of old classics though the worm hole were designed to disturb, not to mention the city of glass score....this year the re-Rite is an honest interpretation of what is a very disturbing and darkly beautiful classic...it was written that way! And I'm pretty sure that Igor didn't pick up his pen looking at that blank sheet of music paper and say, "OK, let's #### em' off!"

• Like 2

Thoughts from a Dino with no dogs in the fight...

Crown...

I did not, however, enjoy the narration in the ballad. I don't think there really is a need, or a benefit, to explaining Love by sharing the 'how much do you love me stuff". Here is where I think they made the only design choice that is not fan friendly to everyone. I suggest they consider a line they wrote for this section of the show...

"so profound was their love for each other, that they needed no words to express it"

They didn't actually write the narration. It's taken directly from Philip Glass's "Einstein on the Beach" which is also where the opening narration and counting are from. I think the narration in the ballad, if they decide to keep it, would be more effective if they stopped after the line you quoted above. However, it all leads up to the "Impossible, you say?" at the end that carries everything into the closer. So, I get why it's there.

It's total crap! They understand the risk of departing from the expected and exploring the edges of musical and visual design, but the thought that they sit around arrogantly and purposefully designing to annoy the audience is rubbish. 2010 and 2013 productions definitely have elements of "disturbing" in them. The glass darkly and the playing of old classics though the worm hole were designed to disturb, not to mention the city of glass score....this year the re-Rite is an honest interpretation of what is a very disturbing and darkly beautiful classic...it was written that way! And I'm pretty sure that Igor didn't pick up his pen looking at that blank sheet of music paper and say, "OK, let's #### em' off!"

Actually I heard the mentality behind 2012 was "Well they didnt like 2011, and we were writing it for the audience. So #### em."

• Like 1

Blue Devils can't rotate a block to save their lives. They should stick to what they know. 1 step interval not-forms.

Umm.. the Blue Devils of the 1990's called and they said, "STFU....we knows all about rotating blocks!" :tongue:/>

Edited by DCImonkey

I have yet to encounter a single post on DCP... ever... that took a verbal swipe at a MM in competition, or booed him or her. I think we should be able to set aside once and for all, and permanently, that any criticism on here on a Corps show, any Corps show is NOT directed at any MM. We should all be able to understand that none of these MM's in any of these Corps had a single input into the theme, choice of music, arrangements, visuals, unis, etc As such, they bare no responsibility for the criticism of things beyond their control. Now, having said all this, there is the acknowledgement that prospective BD campers must have had in the offseason that BD of late has not been putting out what one might call " fan friendly " shows. This is no revelation to anyone, including those prospective MM's that tried out for BD in the offseason. So we should all be able to agree that BD's show this year is no shock to anyone at all that follows the activity, but the show's criticism still falls squarely on the shoulders of the adults, not any BD MM.

You think the people on the field that just got booed for winning don't feel hurt because of the booing? Come on ... you aren't that naive, are you?

• Like 3

We boo the judges, not the kids. This is a sport -- not a 6th grade band event that we all need to clap to boost the confidence of the "kids". And yes, I marched. Low class is throwing stuff on the field. A simple "boo" is the most polite way to do it.

Too bad my Bluecoats weren't there...would have provided great cover :)

Yes ... you are booing the fact that the judges rewarded a corps you don't like. How on earth is that not a comment on the corps you don't like? This isn't like a football game where you can boo the refs on a bad call without insulting one team or the other. It is booing a corps the won because you didn't want them to win. There is nothing that you can say that will change that ... and I would have to think that it would suck to be a member of that corps that has put in a lot of work to win only to be loudly booed because of it.