Cavies Struggles

We tend to forget that Michael Gaines was/is arguably one of, if not the best drill writer in modern dci history. It's a big hurdle to get over and will take time.

I don't disagree, but you are vastly over-simplifying by asserting that Visual has been the area of biggest concern. The Cavaliers have drastically fallen off in every area of performance (Percussion has the smallest drop)...

Cavaliers Music, 2011 = 29.05/30.00

19.0 Brass

19.5 Music Ensemble

19.6 Percussion

Cavaliers Music, 2012 = 27.25/30.00

17.9 Brass

17.7 Music Analysis

18.9 Percussion

The design isn't there NOR the execution. This isn't like Phantom in 2000 or 2009, where the visual fell apart but the music remained relatively strong. The Cavaliers have to overhaul the entire organization (brass, percussion, guard, and visual) in both design and instruction to get back in the Top 5. No, I am not predicting the demise of the Cavaliers. I don't think they will miss Finals. But I do think the recovery will take a while. I don't think it's going to magically happen this summer, or the next. I'm thinking several years (minimum) before the Cavaliers are in medal contention again.

I don't disagree, but you are vastly over-simplifying by asserting that Visual has been the area of biggest concern. The Cavaliers have drastically fallen off in every area of performance (Percussion has the smallest drop)...

19.0 Brass

19.5 Music Ensemble

19.6 Percussion

17.9 Brass

17.7 Music Analysis

18.9 Percussion

P

The design isn't there NOR the execution. This isn't like Phantom in 2000 or 2009, where the visual fell apart but the music remained relatively strong. The Cavaliers have to overhaul the entire organization (brass, percussion, guard, and visual) in both design and instruction to get back in the Top 5. No, I am not predicting the demise of the Cavaliers. I don't think they will miss Finals. But I do think the recovery will take a while. I don't think it's going to magically happen this summer, or the next. I'm thinking several years (minimum) before the Cavaliers are in medal contention again.

I agree that design isn't the only issue, but the earlier you perform, the more the judges hold back the scores.

I think percussion is fine, in 2011 cavies won high drums and in 2012 they were .7 behind that score, if cavies would have performed a few spots later at finals, I guarantee that same performance would have earned a few tenths more.

Guard seems to be better this year. Last night their book beat phantom and they were right on phantoms tail in performance (and in a wind storm).

I would like to see some major changes in the brass staff and to be completely honest wouldn't mind a new brass arranger as well, sorry Drew.

And I wouldn't mind if Mr. Gaines would decide to make a surprise return.

Something else to consider: the Cavies medaling isn't just about the Cavies. It's also about BD, Crown, SCV, Cadets, Phantom, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Spirit, Madison, etc. Even if Cavies were a lightyear ahead of where they were last year, they'll be the same if everyone else is two lightyears. Cavies may knock everyone's socks off - congratulations, they've improved! But if Spirit knocks everyone's socks AND shoes off, the placement won't improve.

Individual growth is a solo act based on quality of performance. Placement in a competition is a dependency at the mercy of every other competitor. They're related, but not the same thing.

Cavaliers will be FINE. A very smart organization which will max out this years program and probably finish in the top 8. Anyone slotting them at 10/11/12 or below is just being silly.

The season is YOUNG.

• Like 7

19.0 Brass

19.5 Music Ensemble

19.6 Percussion

17.9 Brass

17.7 Music Analysis

18.9 Percussion

Though I agree their problems are not soley musical, there is a lot to be said about its impact on design. Not to mention, with a great designed like Michael Gaines, you have someone who knows how to do everything effectively without sacrificing the music. People say that Gaines' drill was easy, but effective. I will not go that far, but having spoken to a member that marched in 2010 and 2012, the statement was made that the 2012 drill was MUCH more difficult to march. The unfortunate part is that it was not as effective. No matter how good of a player you are, if you are marching drill that is more difficult you are not going to be as good as drill that is a bit easier to achieve. I think Gaines' drill was demanding from a complexity standpoint, which is not to say that it was not athletic. Last year's drill just did not seem to be able to achieve the same velocity effects without truly being "break neck."

Again, not trying to say that it is only visual, but the survived without Saucedo (if surviving is getting a silver and bronze medal), however, this is not the first time the have taken a huge dip when Michael has left... 1997 comes to mind (only two years after winning a championship). The difference in them being able to recover was that he came back in 1998.

I hate to say it, but I think this would be a very different season for them if they had Michael Gaines on staff.

• Like 1

You cannot be dismissive about this.... Let me remind u that Spirit was last seasons 11th place drum corps... Now they're much better but Spirit may not be top 7-8 this year most likely... It's not inconceivable to see them in the double digits.

• Like 1

My intent is NOT start a conspiracy theory here or bash people, but does anyone know specifically why Gaines left? Honestly, just curious.

Personal reasons. He left the Cavaliers on good terms, he just needed a break from drum corps after 25 years. I think he wants to focus on HS bands and WGI more, honestly. He's stated repeatedly on twitter that he has "no plans" on joining many of his ex-Cavaliers friends on the staff at SCV (even though Gaines lives in San Francisco). I don't know that we'll see him back in DCI as a designer any time soon.

• Like 1