Best/worst thunderous goo this year?

BDs miced trumpet solos should have an award of their own.. but I digress.

They usually have a lot of Goo though.

Also Phantom's string patch needs an award...

Madison honestly has had quite a bit of goo that no one often talks about.

Cadets have toned it down recently.. but i heard one recording with their terribly accented goo.

Crown sometimes goes overboard at some points.. not sure about this year yet though.

Seriously though... take away the synths.. leave the mics and amps for the pit. I still haven't heard any use of a synthesizer that truly added to a show. Except for parts where synth or piano or whatever was featured prominently like in Crown 09, 10, 11.

• Like 2

Just watched The Cadets show (who I LOVE btw) and that part in Medea when they go back into the big impact of Adagio with the split company spinny fronts? .....yeah LOTS of goo underneath that. I think that had something to do with mike placemtnt. Need to work that out before Indy. I don't want that moment ruined on the BluRay by errant amp placement

Live at Akron, I thought the two worst offenders were Cadets and Bluecoats. The next night at Bowling Green, Cadets seemed to have toned it down a little. Bluecoats weren't there. Madison was, and though fairly heavy on electronics, I didn't particularly notice the deep goo. (But they and everyone else needs to stop using the stupid synth string patch. It never, never helps.) I was on the 50 and 45 yard lines respectively, and high up, so what I heard should have been what they meant to deliver. (Although having your sound board operator right behind the drum major probably isn't optimal.) And what they meant the judges to hear--at BGSU, I could in fact hear one of the judges talking.

It has been getting better from most corps. String patches will never sound good, though.

• Like 1

It has been getting better from most corps. String patches will never sound good, though.

Pretty much this, it’s kind of amazing people think synth string patches sound in any way pleasant.

• Like 1

We have the Jim Ott Best Brass Performance Award, the Fred Sanford Best Percussion Performance Award, and others.

Who should we name the Best Thunderous Goo Award after?

Spinal Tap? :laugh:

DCI should tell the Corps that thunderous goo for no reason other than to make your brass line sound louder should in my opinion be penalised.

Judge the mixing desk!

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

they and everyone else needs to stop using the stupid synth string patch. It never, never helps.

Ugh, yeah, that's the sound that ruined a live performance of Phantom 2011 for me, and you just hear it all the time blending poorly and ruining the brass choir sound, or used as a crutch transition element. I honestly wonder sometimes if they aren't just looking for things for the synth player to do.

I'm thinking "The Brown Note" award. I can see the trophy....brown painted undies.

Edited by bob Clark

Ugh, yeah, that's the sound that ruined a live performance of Phantom 2011 for me, and you just hear it all the time blending poorly and ruining the brass choir sound, or used as a crutch transition element.

Right on.

Regiment has to find another patch or something; that one is so thin and tinny . . .and it's used almost every year now.