It's a Blue Devils world...

I'm pretty sure I said (somewhere recently) that there are parallels to Cadets 07 and CC 13....particularly in the closing section of the CC 13 show. Lot's of intonation by the narrator, just like "this I believe". Don't believe it?..go listen to it. And I am not saying it's bad... either use of voice over mic or doing something someone else has done....everybody does that! I don't even believe that CC designers considered that show....I'm only saying that (as you know) all hell broke loose for Cadets doing about the same thing. The difference? You tell me.

It is possible, just possible, that Crown 13 is using amplified voice better than Cadets 07. Much like BD 12 used it much better than BD 05. And not surprisingly, using it better results in better audience reactions.

It's also possible that Crown 13 uses some of the same design elements as BD 08-12, but uses them in a more entertaining fashion than those shows.

Rather than assuming the audience is playing some kind of four-dimensional chess with BD's designers and the Illuminati-controlled ABBD conspiracy, maybe you should conclude that they see Crown 13, and go nuts because they genuinely enjoy it. If they clap less when BD does similar things, isn't the most obvious conclusion that BD failed to be as enjoyable at those things?

• Like 6

Lol.

So rest of DCP are not mind readers BUT ...

you sure as heck are?doh.gif

This what people try to explain to you OVER and OVER and OVER again.

You *don't* know. You're stuck in your tunnel vision scenario of BD against the world. It's kind of sad.

I'll say it one last time....

Before you ever knew about drum corps, there was plenty of ABBD around. But there were also plenty of fans who embraced BD because they loved the music. Many of those fans don't care for the musical product BD serves up now. And it has NOTHING at all to do with winning or not winning.

Mind reading isn't necessary in the least, there's only performance, reception, outcome and discussion. I was actually going to add, "I know exactly why, and it's a number of things" but we're jousting here so make of it what you will. I have a consistent view on this, you say it's tunnel vision, but it's accurate. I suppose, based on your counsel here, I should just agree with you and others and let it roll. I might just do that.

It is possible, just possible, that Crown 13 is using amplified voice better than Cadets 07. Much like BD 12 used it much better than BD 05. And not surprisingly, using it better results in better audience reactions.

It's also possible that Crown 13 uses some of the same design elements as BD 08-12, but uses them in a more entertaining fashion than those shows.

Rather than assuming the audience is playing some kind of four-dimensional chess with BD's designers and the Illuminati-controlled ABBD conspiracy, maybe you should conclude that they see Crown 13, and go nuts because they genuinely enjoy it. If they clap less when BD does similar things, isn't the most obvious conclusion that BD failed to be as enjoyable at those things?

Yes, it is possible.

• Like 2

This has nothing to do with Crown ...it's all about the double standard that exists on DCP whether you believe it or not. Why the hell would I want to encourage criticism of another corps....I'm the last person to criticize any corps, I just don't do it. These performers work too hard all year for the kind of thoughtless drivel that anonymous folks put out here and sometimes in the stands (at a distance). I was simply pointing out hypocrisy. And if "obsession" is presenting (IMO) a coherent point of view in a respectful (and sometimes humorous) way on a discussion board (admittedly elongated due to BD's current run of 6 years at 1st or 2nd)...I make no apologies and........I'm quite comfortable with my opinions... thanks for asking.

Have a nice day, Plan.

Edited by skevinp

Mind reading isn't necessary in the least, there's only performance, reception, outcome and discussion. I was actually going to add, "I know exactly why, and it's a number of things" but we're jousting here so make of it what you will. I have a consistent view on this, you say it's tunnel vision, but it's accurate. I suppose, based on your counsel here, I should just agree with you and others and let it roll. I might just do that.

I think there are many of us here on DCP who loved BD's music in defiance of ABBD. Your insistence we're all ABBD homers sticks in our craws. Your tunnel vision may not be wrong -- there's certainly ABBD - but it's terribly incomplete. You do a disservice to the many BD fans who honestly just don't like where BD has gone musically.

Open your mind, Plan. Open your mind.....

kuato18.jpg

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: I am not a BD honk (if anything, more of a Cavies and Crown fan, well, at least earlier '00's Cavies)

I was about to post this in the latest anti-BD thread, but it was locked by the time I finished writing. Throught it might stimulate some interesting conversation:

In the circles I travel in it is generally accepted that from around '00-'08 the Championship was Cavaliers' to loose. With the way their design staff was putting together music and visual, if they didn't push too far such that they couldn't clean it up ('03), or pick something that did not have a strong enough visual component ('05, '07, and '08 itself), the gold medal was theirs. None of us could see how any other corps would be able to put together music and visual in a way that could beat Cavies in the years when their staff got it right.

But then in '08, the Blue Devils showed us all something we hadn't seen before. I remember seeing Constantly Risking Absurdity live for the first time and being blown away by the game changing nature of it. Though they had won in '07, it was only because the next greatest challenger was Cadets with "This I Believe...", and THAT is saying something (not to mention Cavies with Billy Joel, a show I LOVE musically, but a theme which has little to offer in terms of strong visual connectivity). BD '08 was a clean break with what they had been doing for the past 7 years or so.

I remember almost feeling like the Blue Devils staff got tired of waiting around for Cavies off years and their own ON years to line up (I mean, they freakin lost with The Godfather Part Blue!!!! that must have hurt!!!). When none of us could see how anyone could beat Cavies in the game of combining music and visual, BD went out and changed the game in an important (and in my opinion exciting) way and has been pursuing that same model ever since. The Championship is now BD's to lose and has been ever since '09. Don't like it? Figure out what's next.

3080895-7908154306-tumbl.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe in the past, but I've been seeing a LOT of division with drum corps fans lately. If I fail to mention Crown in a status on facebook about drum corps now, I get pounced on. What gives? I think their narration is more annoying than BD '12 and I think the show is a blatant rip-off of BD in general. Whatever, it's my opinion. But Just because I care to talk about some other corps, someone feels the need to bring up their favorite corps. I just like the activity as a whole. Let me rag on corps I don't like, appreciate corps I do, and point out how silly fans can be sometimes.

• Like 6

It's all the jazz they're playing... wait

Blue devils would fail attempting to perform crowns show. The music is just too hard.

and crown doing blue devils show ... Never. Crown puts the audience first they would never want to insight a riot with an over the top inaccessible show. .

• Like 3