It's a Blue Devils world...

Oh yes he can! rolleyes.gif/> You know....."what's mine is mine...but what's yours is negotiable."

I have to say that seeing CB in the hot seat (that I usually occupy) is quite endearing and even amusing.

Lovely sentiment but I haven't said anything about the Cadets or (in fact) any other use of narration :-)

Lovely sentiment but I haven't said anything about the Cadets or (in fact) any other use of narration :-)

Hey you know me, CB.....facts are always optional!

I will say that you are a valiant defender of "the cause"....worthy of the mantle: corps parent!

Hang in there buddy! :thumbup:/>

• Like 1

Hey you know me, CB.....facts are always optional!

I will say that you are a valiant defender of "the cause"....worthy of the mantle: corps parent!

Hang in there buddy! thumbup.gif/>

Best part about this whole discussion:

complete hijack of the thread thumbup.gif

So.... Another chance for Crown and BD to compete tonight. Should be pretty interesting.

Both corps shows are very similar in some ways, but very different in others. Some people like the narration in Crown's show, same way some people liked the narration in BD's show last year. I think Crown's is more tastefully done this year, probably because I can understand what they're saying. BD has a very distinctive way of designing their shows, so that when they have their brass ensemble play, they can really max out the score. They do seem to use more sectional playing, but that's not a bad thing. No where on the sheets does it say that the entire hornline has to play the entire show.

And I didn't.

Beating a dead horse a little here but the narration "belongs" because the show is "EOTB for marching brass, percussion and colorguard in 11 minutes." If it (any design element) is in the original, it supports the design and "belongs".

According to some brilliant designers on DCP, Crown should have this:

abyss+water+tentacle.jpg

appear during the ballad. doh.gif

The "you" I mentioned was the more generalized one referring to Crown fans. Not "you", specifically. And "The Abyss" isn't in the original work, so... does that not support the design? I'm playing devil's advocate here of course, because I don't necessarily take issue with your explanation at all. I take issue with people trying to differentiate the narration aspect of Crown's show as superior to past attempts solely because it's "in the original". You've already stated that Crown is not doing a literal interpretation of EotB, otherwise they'd be penalized well before the 5 hour mark hit. The narration is in there because it supports what the designers want to convey. Just as the narration in Cadets/BD/etc. supported what THEY were trying to convey. These shows are not strict covers of their source material. They are a composite of the overall unique design the staff comes up with.

It simply is what it is. People will like it or hate, just as they will any other design aspect (chairs, mirrors, towers, trees). But let's not start dismissing criticisms of it simply because "it's in the original". That's as lame as the opposite argument that it shouldn't be in because it's being done over The Abyss.

• Like 1

It simply is what it is. People will like it or hate, just as they will any other design aspect (chairs, mirrors, towers, trees). But let's not start dismissing criticisms of it simply because "it's in the original". That's as lame as the opposite argument that it shouldn't be in because it's being done over The Abyss.

Pretty much what I've been saying all along. You like it or you don't. It's all good and I completely understand those who want the hear the ballad with no narration. OTOH I completely understand why Crown chose use it. It works.

Seems like (a) the crowds mostly like it and (b) the green shirts like it. That's pretty much covers all the bases in my book.

• Like 1

Seems like (a) the crowds mostly like it and (b) the green shirts like it. That's pretty much covers all the bases in my book.

Trying to be a good crowd participant and NOT complain about the voice or the synths this year doesn't mean that we like it. Would be better without the voice in this idiom. I know, it's not true to the original, but neither are the arrangements that are being played on the field.

I know I'm just tired of complaining, but that's not approval. I know there are at least a few like me.

• Like 1

Pretty much what I've been saying all along. You like it or you don't. It's all good and I completely understand those who want the hear the ballad with no narration. OTOH I completely understand why Crown chose use it. It works.

I think there's a third group, or a least a grey area: People like me who a) don't mind it but b) demand that it be performed better.

In my ideal drum corps world, voice actors would have to be as good at vocal performances as the horn players are at their horns, the guard members at their weapons, etc.

I don't mind narration, per sé, but I think it needs to be held to the same standard as everything else on the field. I think the people doing it need to be trained performers. That was my biggest problem with the Cadets' attempts, and that's my biggest problem this year. The lines simply aren't being read well. If they were, people might still hate the idea of the narration, but at least the skill being put into it would be undeniable.

Again -- not to harp on it -- but as much as we were all sort of put off by the Yowza Yowza Yowza, at least that guy was good. Imagine how much worse it could've been.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2

I don't think anyone has figured out what's next, but shows are now becoming increasingly similar to the idea that BD created. Crown's show this year, while decidedly Crown in style, is a step towards BD's abstract nature in my opinion. The Cadets, who are next in the pack at the moment, are also doing that but more in the way Star of Indiana did in 93 (and not just because they're playing Barber, it's how they're playing it that matters). We'll see who innovates next, but the others are at least catching up.

Cadets are just an amazing version of themselves this year with a bit less gunning and perhaps some more staging, same with Crown. I think Bluecoats and Boston took a big step into the BLUEZONE this year. We'll see how that works out..

I think there's a third group, or a least a grey area: People like me who a) don't mind it but b) demand that it be performed better.

In my ideal drum corps world, voice actors would have to be as good at vocal performances as the horn players are at their horns, the guard members at their weapons, etc.

I don't mind narration, per sé, but I think it needs to be held to the same standard as everything else on the field. I think the people doing it need to be trained performers. That was my biggest problem with the Cadets' attempts, and that's my biggest problem this year. The lines simply aren't being read well. If they were, people might still hate the idea of the narration, but at least the skill being put into it would be undeniable.

Again -- not to harp on it -- but as much as we were all sort of put off by the Yowza Yowza Yowza, at least that guy was good. Imagine how much worse it could've been.

I get where you're coming from...but Im perfectly content to have the members do the narration. Probably not a lot of James Earl Jones voices in your average drum corps. I want to hear quality -- yes -- but I'm willing to accept that it's going to sound like a member of a drum corps and not a professional voice actor (just like I don't expect college age musicians to be as good as professionals).