Dear Mr. Acheson...

A few days ago, I went back and watched the old broadcasts on ESPN2. They were great.

This needs to come back, and the spend is worth it (the other contractual restrictions are really the main issue, not the costs)... as it lends a sense of credibility or legitimacy when approaching more mainstream sponsors.

In fact, I would suggest it is something absolutely necessary to reach mainstream sponsors.

All these music sponsors are great and essential for the nuts and bolts aspect of the activity... but a single soft drink, candy bar or athletic brand sponsor could underwrite the whole #### tour. $10M is nothing for something like this for a major brand... so long as you can convince them that it is worth it.

It would take time to build up to those sort of numbers, but can be done.

What is needed is to approach agencies that do have these types of connections... get them to try to pitch sponsors in exchange for %.

The right players could make this work. Priority should be on seeking out these agencies and players (the right guys to do this are simply hired guns.... have no connection to drum corps or even really know what it is).

</brokenrecord>

Since you apparently have all the answers, why don't you actually get off the Internet forums and actually do something? Bill Cook didn't sit by the phone and wait for DCI to give him a call: he jumped in and got involved. Since you seem to think it's all simple to do all these radical changes for the activity as a whole, freaking do something!!

DCI cares very little about the DCP nonsense. They would pay attention if you called them and said, "hey, I've got a meeting scheduled with Mars Candy Company looking to underwrite an ESPN broadcast for you - lets talk"

• Like 2

Does that company specialize in scholastic music traveling?

From what I've seen of them in northwest Indiana and Chicago suburbs, I can be forgiven for thinking they specialize in trips to outlet malls.

I have made it a point over the years to simply lurk on the drum corps forums and not participate in discussions. I learned a hard lesson in 1998 in the "Idiocracy" sense that reasoning with folks here is usually met with sarcasm.

Thank you, original poster, for thinking big about this.

Conversations like this will be better received in private. Most folks here won't understand the 30,000 foot level of intent from the OP.

PM sent. Let's do lunch :)

• Like 3

This reminded me of The Railmen. Recall seeing them at a good number of DCM shows in the late 80's.

http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpshist&corps=117&corpstype=Junior

And if this was All Age we could bring up the Ballentine Brewers :tongue:

Seriously, it's interesting that Railmen were non-competing for so long and then finally did DCI toward the end of their long history.

so I assume everyone saw the DCI facebook post...

Drum Corps International · 190,467 like this

3 hours ago ·

Fact: DCI reaches more new fans via Facebook, Twitter and YouTube than we ever did on broadcast TV...by a significant margin

Drum Corps International The hundreds of thousands of dollars saved annually by not broadcasting on TV goes directly back to the corps.

• Like 3

Drum Corps International · 190,467 like this

3 hours ago ·

Fact: DCI reaches more new fans via Facebook, Twitter and YouTube than we ever did on broadcast TV...by a significant margin

Drum Corps International The hundreds of thousands of dollars saved annually by not broadcasting on TV goes directly back to the corps.

So basically, DCI thinks everything's just peachy?

Ok then, forget I said anything.

After all, 17,000 folks at Finals is nothing to sneeze at, when 35,000 would probably just be greedy.

• Like 2