When did the terminology change?

It is perfectly acceptable to use the names interchangeably as trumpets are indeed the soprano voice and contra does sound cooler than Tuba even though they are tubas.

The only thing not acceptable is the use of the word FRENCH horn. There is nothing French about it. It's a horn. Period

• Like 1

I always thought the judge sheets were more sophisticated than this:

Made my day!

It is perfectly acceptable to use the names interchangeably as trumpets are indeed the soprano voice and contra does sound cooler than Tuba even though they are tubas.

The only thing not acceptable is the use of the word FRENCH horn. There is nothing French about it. It's a horn. Period

There still are marching French Horns though. Not very common, but they're out there. I think a few corps used them in the first part of the 2000s.

My guess is that the terms changed exactly when the instruments did - Bb trumpets rather than G soprano bugles, and BBb tubas instead of G contrabass bugles. Both greatly improved the quality of sound and completed a full-chromatic range. Also, both are "real-world" instruments, as opposed to bugles. You can use them in orchestras, wind ensembles, etc..

As to the band vs. corps thing: they're ALL bands of instruments, whether you like it or not!