Mankato Musical Mayham

It's more complex than that, however, Blue Stars did sailors and fishes in the sea very well : )

I know. :p I was just under-explaining the situation kind of to show how strange it seems. That is a huge score!

I was there and Blue Stara guard rocked it, but not 1.7 points better. Does anyone know who the guard judge is? I've never heard of him before.

I was there and Blue Stara guard rocked it, but not 1.7 points better. Does anyone know who the guard judge is? I've never heard of him before.

This is taken from the Wakeland HS Band (NC) page:

"Mr. Bob Thomas

Mr Thomas started playing a bugle at the age of 5. He continued playing both bugle and drums for the next 25 years. He has marched in both senior and junior drum and bugle corps. He attended Norwin High School where he both taught and marched in the drum line. His teaching experience extends of the past 38 years. He has designed and instructed numerous award winning Drum and Bugle Corps, marching bands majorette teams and winter color guards.

He judges or has judged for Drum Corp International (DCI), Winter Guard International WGI), Drum Corp Midwest, Drum Corp Atlantic, Indiana State Scholastic Music Association (ISMMA), Bands of America (BOA), Drum Corp Europe (DCE), Youth Education in the Arts (YEA), Ohio Judges Association, Florida Federation of Judges, Atlantic Indoor Association (AIA), Pennsylvania Federation of Judges, and Marching in Okayama, Japan, Drum Corp Associates (DCA). In 2008 he judged the World Marching Band Championships in Malaysia. He judged the 2009 Thailand Drum Line Competition. He recently returned from Malaysia where he taught the DCE Judges college for DCE license partner M World Band Championships.

He has been a clinician for Carolina Winter Ensemble Guard Circuit, Seton Hill College Color Guard Camp, West Chester College Color Guard Camp, Penna. Federation of Contest Winter Guard & Band, Ohio Judges Association Winter Guard, Florida Federation of Judges Winter Guard, Atlantic Indoor Association (AIA), South East Color Guard Circuit, Texas Color Guard Circuit, Indiana Indoor Color Guard, DEG Japan Clinician, Drum Corp Europe, Malaysian World Band Competitions, Clinician European Mega Clinician and the Irish Marching Band Association.

He has been the Director of Education for Drum Corp Europe for the past 7 years. He designed the current scoring system for Drum Corp Europe which is currently being used in 16 countries. He has also been the Director of Education for the Florida Judges Association and the Ohio Judges Association. He currently lives in Greensburg, PA."

This is taken from the Wakeland HS Band (NC) page:

"Mr. Bob Thomas

Mr Thomas started playing a bugle at the age of 5. He continued playing both bugle and drums for the next 25 years. He has marched in both senior and junior drum and bugle corps. He attended Norwin High School where he both taught and marched in the drum line. His teaching experience extends of the past 38 years. He has designed and instructed numerous award winning Drum and Bugle Corps, marching bands majorette teams and winter color guards.

He judges or has judged for Drum Corp International (DCI), Winter Guard International WGI), Drum Corp Midwest, Drum Corp Atlantic, Indiana State Scholastic Music Association (ISMMA), Bands of America (BOA), Drum Corp Europe (DCE), Youth Education in the Arts (YEA), Ohio Judges Association, Florida Federation of Judges, Atlantic Indoor Association (AIA), Pennsylvania Federation of Judges, and Marching in Okayama, Japan, Drum Corp Associates (DCA). In 2008 he judged the World Marching Band Championships in Malaysia. He judged the 2009 Thailand Drum Line Competition. He recently returned from Malaysia where he taught the DCE Judges college for DCE license partner M World Band Championships.

He has been a clinician for Carolina Winter Ensemble Guard Circuit, Seton Hill College Color Guard Camp, West Chester College Color Guard Camp, Penna. Federation of Contest Winter Guard & Band, Ohio Judges Association Winter Guard, Florida Federation of Judges Winter Guard, Atlantic Indoor Association (AIA), South East Color Guard Circuit, Texas Color Guard Circuit, Indiana Indoor Color Guard, DEG Japan Clinician, Drum Corp Europe, Malaysian World Band Competitions, Clinician European Mega Clinician and the Irish Marching Band Association.

He has been the Director of Education for Drum Corp Europe for the past 7 years. He designed the current scoring system for Drum Corp Europe which is currently being used in 16 countries. He has also been the Director of Education for the Florida Judges Association and the Ohio Judges Association. He currently lives in Greensburg, PA."

Thanks! While the scores are interesting, they'll change the next time they meet up anyways. The real test comes July 13th!

BLOODEVILS has quoted a bio he found. Despite all the puffery, Bob Thomas has a reputation as a loose cannon. He has been effectively, albeit not publicly, banned from judging in my state circuit - something he has not been shy about complaining about around other judges - for making a "statement" by dumping a high-achieving guard he just didn't like by whopping whole points, not just tenths. That was almost twenty years ago but a lot of folks who were there at the time are still running the circuit, along with a lot of grown-up alumni of the winterguard he dumped (even their competitors were shocked) so I don't expect to see Thomas back in our state anytime soon. Apparently he is still up to his old tricks courting notoriety.

I'm not a fan of Scouts' show or guard book, and I know and like some of Blue Stars' guard kids and want them to score well, but Thomas's scores on the recap are just over-the-top baloney. Amazing how some remarkably obnoxious people just never change.

It does happen when that subcaption is taking on a harder level of content than it's competition. There are going to be off days, and even an off day can make a judge think there is no real content to your book. It was a bit too heavy a swing, but if you ask me, I'd put more money on that being the fault of the night prior, not this night.

In other news, how about them Colts? Why can't we be talking about them?

Thank you for asking about the Colts, one would think they weren't at the show. What about those “Colts”? I find them consistently getting higher scores in General Effect Visual, third this show and they got second in Visual Analysis. Not too shabby.

They’re not mentioned anywhere, those are some fine scores. The corps members are young and the staff is changing some of their teaching methods. I’ve said it before, “Don’t forget the Colts they’re going to grow and be comfortable with their show.” The visual scores are definitely there and have been holding steady.

I find it sad that corps like the Colts and Troopers are being dismissed as if they weren’t even on the field tonight. Why should they show up when they’re not worth a second thought by many on here. Very sad!

• Like 1

They're being dismissed because people are discussing something else that happened at the show? A tad melodramatic. This thread has maybe 5 pages before scores were announced. I've read plenty of comments about both the Colts and Troopers in practically every show thread I've read where they performed.

• Like 2

Thank you for asking about the Colts, one would think they weren't at the show. What about those "Colts"? I find them consistently getting higher scores in General Effect Visual, third this show and they got second in Visual Analysis. Not too shabby.

That wasn't quite the reaction I was going for, just hoping to switch over some of the thread focus onto something not involving this sudden development from the Stars and the Scouts. Still, they are looking up, and if they're at the point of tying Troopers, they may have a show in them. I thought I remembered them having a particularly strong early run only to stagnate points-wise, but corpsreps is suggesting my memory was a bit exaggerated.

I tried to calm the natives earlier this week that there will be volatility when some shows have 5 judges, others have 8, and the captions judged are weighted differently as a result. Tonite's show had 8 judges by the way. This is Spring Training for both judges, staffs and MM's alike. Minny regionals begins the real season. In the meantime , my suggestion is for everybody to relax and just enjoy the shows that each corps is putting out.

Truer words have never been spoken.

It does happen when that subcaption is taking on a harder level of content than it's competition. There are going to be off days, and even an off day can make a judge think there is no real content to your book. It was a bit too heavy a swing, but if you ask me, I'd put more money on that being the fault of the night prior, not this night.

In other news, how about them Colts? Why can't we be talking about them?

Glad you brought up the Colts. I saw them in Madison. Really nice, straight ahead drum corps. The new uniform combination of white shirt and vest really pops under the lights. A very full, fat brass sound. Well developed melodies instead of putting tunes through the blender. Use of color by the guard that was very pleasing to my eyes. In other words, a lot to like in this, their 50th anniversary season.

I mentioned in another thread about Troopers. I know it's only one show, but they really impressed me in Madison. After a couple of years of programs that made me scratch my head, this year's program has got to warm the hearts of long time fans and alumni. I know they had me hooked about three measures into their show. In Madison, they were tenths away from Crossmen and Blue Stars, and quickly became my sentimental favorite for 12th place this season. They seem to have dropped off the pace since. Not sure I understand what's happening there. I can see Colts/Blue Stars/Crossmen/Troopers as one of those "shows within the shows" that will be fun to watch as the season progresses.

Edited by Jim Anello
  • Like 1