Judging Deficiencies

Correct, add the comma.

:-)

As for the other comments, I still think that, yes even though we all know that different panels in shows hundreds of miles apart, etc, etc, etc. are factors, some standards could be set.

But what I'm saying is, DCI basically throws up it's hands for half a season and tells us "We're just not paying for a full judging slate, giving YOU the fans, the opportunity to at least "compare" on a standard basis; BUT, we're going to charge a full admission by the way".

I think it's ridiculous, for an 8-week season, to not have a standard by which the fans, who care about the process, can get some meaningful information, flawed as it is.

AJMHO

Why wouldn't they charge full admission? The whole point of going to a show is to watch the corps, not getting a full panel of judges.

• Like 1

It is insulting that DCI doesn't judge Drums early in the season. Its ridiculous.

Look at the Bristol RI. judge panel. How can you say they do not judge percussion when all 3 music judges are WGI percussion judges

• Like 2

Look at the Bristol RI. judge panel. How can you say they do not judge percussion when all 3 music judges are WGI percussion judges

Not to mention there was an actual Music - Percussion caption at the show.

And kinda off topic (or maybe on topic?), Cadets percussion = 1.6 over Bluecoats?! WOW! I knew Cadets were good this year, but damm!!

Correct, add the comma.

As for the other comments, I still think that, yes even though we all know that different panels in shows hundreds of miles apart, etc, etc, etc. are factors, some standards could be set.

But what I'm saying is, DCI basically throws up it's hands for half a season and tells us "We're just not paying for a full judging slate, giving YOU the fans, the opportunity to at least "compare" on a standard basis; BUT, we're going to charge a full admission by the way".

I think it's ridiculous, for an 8-week season, to not have a standard by which the fans, who care about the process, can get some meaningful information, flawed as it is.

AJMHO

actually, part of the rationale, and sound at that was the fact they know everyone has a ton of dirt downstairs in June.So get the upstairs reads, then as the field starts to come together, it'll carry over to the upstairs sheets too. Now if it could be a consistent set of sheets used every night, that'd be great, but I see the logic in shifting it around too

OK, so tell us who won percussion in Bristol? How close were the various units?

How did they compare to their previous 3 outings?

Which are making the strongest moves?

Thanks!

:-/

It is not about the fans but having money coming in on a regular schedule to a corps so they can pay the daily expenses of being on tour. The members and staff have to be feed whether it is a show day or not.

The real fans are the people that attend shows and buy the tickets. Most of the people on DCP just watch via the Fan Network a few shows and complain about the process. Go out and support the corps.

I would actually venture, in my opinion, that most people who are active on DCP are ALSO part of the group you call "the real fans." They likely donate via websites, sponsor kids, volunteer, and buy tickets and souvies, maybe even in the multiple hundreds of dollars range. Some of us even drive for hours or fly to attend 2, 3 or more shows. Yes, people complain, but that's likely because they have a very real and personal investment in the activity.

Another opinion I'd put out there: I'm willing to bet few of those "real fans" you speak of are as invested in the daily workings of drum corps. And that's just fine, too. Most of them have likely bought a ticket for only one show, will buy 2 shirts or other souvenir items at most, and once their show has come and gone they probably don't check scores every day or two or come here to discuss this beloved activity.

It takes all types of "real fans" to make this activity keep running - from the casual one-timers to the long-term investors. In a nutshell, I would venture that most of the DCP population is more in line with that latter group.

(edited to take out multiple uses of the same phrase so as to appear more awake and alert now.)

Edited by TerriTroop
  • Like 2

The only thing I find weird is when there will be big score swings one night to another. I know different judges see things differently, but when a corps can swing 2 or 3 points in one night, or over a full point in a caption or sub-caption, it's a bit strange. I know none of it means anything until the first regional, but it is strange to see when looking at scores.

Lack of calibration between judges - that's the real deficiency, not reduced panels.

At what point do we stop judging and just start applauding and recognizing effort and entertainment

Speaking of entertainment would there be more if we didn't judge the way it's done today? Interesting question

I know the competitive side of things if what keeps the drive in the corps members and staff to push hard thought the season but how many times have we questioned placements at finals night when it's all in the hands on the specific judges for just that night

I don't know what the answer is

I find it interesting that West Coast shows are willing to pay for full panels but the East / Midwest shows do not. If the full panel option is available (for an additional fee), is it DCI who should carry blame or the show sponsors? I don't know the answer -- just throwing the observation out there.

What hasn't yet been mentioned is the jacked up travel expenses (air fare, hotel room, meals) allotted to each judge since DCI has stopped using local panels. So in an imaginary example J.Webb goes from Indiana to California to judge one nite and then on to Boston another to institute a national standard where a judge has seen all the major contenders, etc. and starts giving scores relative to all the DCI corps he has judged in the season rather than merely relative to the other corps appearing at the same place at the same night. Even with corporate flight, car rental, and hotel packages DCI would get similar to other corporations or frequent fliers, the cost has increased not just the individual stipend for each judge. And rarely do the judges stay at a flea bag motel, just saying.

• Like 1