The Beanpot in Lynn

I was surprised at how good all of the corps were last evening. With the combination of heat and most corps doing multiple July 4th parades, again in the heat, I figured at least one corps would crack just a bit and we'd see a bit of fatigue. I did not expect better performances than Bristol. I know we're talking drum corps and drum corps are tough, strong, etc. and the participants are young and can take a lot more than most of us who are twenty-one plus, but they are human.

There's no question that last night was Cadet's show, at least in my opinion. Once again I expected a different 2nd and 3rd placement just as I did in Bristol. I thought Bluecoats were on fire and Phantom was excellent, but not quite as hot as Bluecoats. I felt the opposite way after Bristol. However, the differences were small. I'm not finding Surf to be as terrible as some pundits are saying. They may find next year they have to step their competitive game up a bit, and I think the marching members have that potential, but they excite the crowd, their show has improved, and it's fun. Spartans and 7th Regiment have some good talent and big hearts.

Regarding BAC: Their progress this week has been phenomenal. They've made some significant changes and while in theory the origional show worked, it was hard to see, especially last week in Quincy where the lighting was less than favorable for intricate backfield work. While all eyes will be on July 11th when Cadets, Crown, and BD meet for the first time, I'm waiting for Minneapolis on Saturday when BAC will face Cavies, Madison, Spirit, and BK. There could be some very interesting results and since BAC will not have any shows between Sunday and Saturday, we could be in for a few surprises.

craiga: you may not have a clearance with the BAC design team, but you're usually right on the money. I'd say always, but anytime you use the word always someone finds an exception.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2

The last 1/3 of Boston's show has seen some major rewrites, both musically and visually this week. MUCH more impact than before, and the new climax has a triple forte CONQUEST segment by the mellophones over the ensemble at the end!!!! Wow~

Wouldn't be a Boston show without Conquest! When was the last time their show DIDN'T have it?

There's no question that last night was Cadet's show, at least in my opinion. Once again I expected a different 2nd and 3rd placement just as I did in Bristol. I thought Bluecoats were on fire and Phantom was excellent, but not quite as hot as Bluecoats.

I thought the placements, scores, and score spreads were just about right last nite in Lynn. I had Phantom over Bluecoats last nite, and thats how it turned out. I'm not always simpatico with judges scores, but last nite their assessments matched mine.

Was there a full Moon ? ( haha!)

I'm not sure if it was the windy conditions, the heat, or the show demands put on the MM's this year or something else, but there were more drops of equipment last nite by all the Corps, than at any time in this fan's memory, and I go back to when the Bridgemen were called " St. Andrews ". Its ok to drop a flag or a rifle or two during a show. This happens. Its always happened. But last nite in Lynn, the amount of dropped equipment resulted in all sorts of groans from the crowd all nite long. With EVERY corps there last nite. I'm not sure what the answer for this is. But I do know this : when a Corps is front and center, and there is a pause in the brass and percussion playing, to allow the Guard with their rifles out in front to toss their rifles at the called for impact point, you've got to catch them there. You just HAVE to. Or the desired impact hoped for, is lost. We're no longer in June now either, but into the 6th, 7th show or more show for these Corps here in July. Corps are either going to have to work to clean this surprisingly subpar equipment work up, or cut back on some of the show demand so that these things don't happen with the increased frequencies that we are seeing now. Thats because at the end of the day, Drum Corps is still primarily a precision enterprise. And the frequency of dropped flags, dropped rifles, dropped poles and so forth, diminishes the overall quality of the enterprise, imo. There is LOTS of talent in Corps MM's and staff these days. Thats why I'm confident that all this dropped equipment that we're seeing now in the shows can be corrected if the proper attention to this all important fundamental detail is given to it.

I had similar thoughts at the CYO. The top corps usually get the best guard personnel and with many going from WGI to DCI, they should have basic tosses down pretty good, even with some wind. Granted, WGI is indoors, but with all the hours of rehearsing from start of WGI through early July, mostly outdoors, muscle memory should be working well. But, as you said, execution will improve.