The Beanpot in Lynn

" Lynn, Lynn, the City of Sin. You never come out the way you went in ". ( said for over a 100 years by both Lynnites as well as non Lynnites ).

Manning Bowl in Lynn, Ma. used to be a dump.. a venerable Drum Corps stadium dump... but still a dump. Thats changed. They bulldozed the old stadium down and rebuilt a new one on its site. Now its a good site. That said, in July the sun will be directly in the eyes of the audience for the first few Corps. And its hotter than a pistol right now. Boston is more humid than probably Bangkok today. Ouch. But when the sun goes down, it should be ok for the corps that perform then, imo.

As someone who was there, it was brutal. Yesterday was bad enough (2 parades, and the second was the first time in my drum corps career that I thought that I would have to fall out of anything (parade, rehearsal, whatever). Today was not nearly as humid, but it was ###### hot. We (Bridgemen) called rehearsal early due to heat. It was 99 degrees when I left my car for warmup at 7 pm. It was STILL 90 when I got in my car at 10pm to head home.

I have no idea how the Junior corps kids do it... I know that they all had rehearsals today. In fact, the whiteboard on Phantom's semi said "Hydrate or Die" right at the top, triple underlined.

Next time someone here wants to bag on ANY show, just think about what these kids are doing, day in and day out. Amazing.

• Like 3

This vid of Cadets from Lynn only goes through the first major hit. All I can see is that they cut to the hit a little quicker than before, trimmed maybe 3 seconds.

Edited by chris ncsu

The last 1/3 of Boston's show has seen some major rewrites, both musically and visually this week. MUCH more impact than before, and the new climax has a triple forte CONQUEST segment by the mellophones over the ensemble at the end!!!! Wow~

...and the new drill has the hornline in a full tilt jazz run through several geometric forms while FFF right to the end....

Guard is getting much cleaner, and while there is still growth potential, that weapons line was second only to Cadets last night, imo.

Cadets are simply great, Phantom is improved, but I still think Bluecoats visual situation will see them top out early...how do you get two minutes of sitting on the bleachers any cleaner than it already is?

• Like 1

The last 1/3 of Boston's show has seen some major rewrites, both musically and visually this week. MUCH more impact than before, and the new climax has a triple forte CONQUEST segment by the mellophones over the ensemble at the end!!!! Wow~

...and the new drill has the hornline in a full tilt jazz run through several geometric forms while FFF right to the end....

Guard is getting much cleaner, and while there is still growth potential, that weapons line was second only to Cadets last night, imo.

Cadets are simply great, Phantom is improved, but I still think Bluecoats visual situation will see them top out early...how do you get two minutes of sitting on the bleachers any cleaner than it already is?

The guard is much bigger than the rest. A lot more weapons in the air than the rest also.

Are the changes Craiga as a result of feedback/need or part of the overall plan this year?

Are the changes Craiga as a result of feedback/need or part of the overall plan this year?

[/quote

LOL...contrary to popular opinion by some here on DCP, I have no classified clearance with BAC's design team. I do know there are and have been big plans for the show to "evolve" throughout the season, and my guess would be they are balancing those priorities with judge feedback as well right now. Having said that, I will also say that this week's rewrites were on a pretty massive scale, imo. Once clean, they will payoff for them, I believe.

• Like 3

What intrigues me is what they have to do in these next 4+ weeks to reach the organizations goal(not the alums/fans) for this year. That challenge is going to be exciting for the corps and will make for an epic finals week.

We counted 3 drops by the Cadets tonight and at least 2 dozen drops by Phantom - and Cadets work is substantially more difficult.

I'm not sure if it was the windy conditions, the heat, or the show demands put on the MM's this year or something else, but there were more drops of equipment last nite by all the Corps, than at any time in this fan's memory, and I go back to when the Bridgemen were called " St. Andrews ". Its ok to drop a flag or a rifle or two during a show. This happens. Its always happened. But last nite in Lynn, the amount of dropped equipment resulted in all sorts of groans from the crowd all nite long. With EVERY corps there last nite. I'm not sure what the answer for this is. But I do know this : when a Corps is front and center, and there is a pause in the brass and percussion playing, to allow the Guard with their rifles out in front to toss their rifles at the called for impact point, you've got to catch them there. You just HAVE to. Or the desired impact hoped for, is lost. We're no longer in June now either, but into the 6th, 7th show or more show for these Corps here in July. Corps are either going to have to work to clean this surprisingly subpar equipment work up, or cut back on some of the show demand so that these things don't happen with the increased frequencies that we are seeing now. Thats because at the end of the day, Drum Corps is still primarily a precision enterprise. And the frequency of dropped flags, dropped rifles, dropped poles and so forth, diminishes the overall quality of the enterprise, imo. There is LOTS of talent in Corps MM's and staff these days. Thats why I'm confident that all this dropped equipment that we're seeing now in the shows can be corrected if the proper attention to this all important fundamental detail is given to it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if it was the windy conditions, the heat, or the show demands put on the MM's this year or something else, but there were more drops of equipment last nite by all the Corps, than at any time in this fan's memory, and I go back to when the Bridgemen were called " St. Andrews ". Its ok to drop a flag or a rifle or two during a show. This happens. Its always happened. But last nite in Lynn, the amount of dropped equipment resulted in all sorts of groans from the crowd all nite long. With EVERY corps there last nite. I'm not sure what the answer for this is. But I do know this : when a Corps is front and center, and there is a pause in the brass and percussion playing, to allow the Guard with their rifles out in front to toss their rifles at the called for impact point, you've got to catch them there. You just HAVE to. Or the desired impact hoped for, is lost. We're no longer in June now either, but into the 6th, 7th show or more show for these Corps here in July. Corps are either going to have to work to clean this sloppy equipment work up, or cut back on some of the show demand so that these things don't happen with the increased frequencies that we are seeing now. Thats because at the end of the day, Drum Corps is still primarily a precision enterprise. And the frequency of dropped flags, dropped rifles, dropped poles and so forth, diminishes the overall quality of the enterprise, imo. There is LOTS of talent in Corps MM's and staff these days. Thats why I'm confident that all this dropped equipment that we're seeing now can be corrected if the proper attention to this all important fundamental detail is given to it.

BRASSO, I agree, but in all fairness, the American flag out by the street was out straight most of the night. Although you and I prefer outdoor venues, we also can't forget that Nationals these days are indoors....I'm sure the various corps staff have this in mind as well...

But, I agree....solid catches on weapons are effective, whilst drops (or worse yet, drops with bounces) are not. :tongue:

• Like 1

BRASSO, I agree, but in all fairness, the American flag out by the street was out straight most of the night. Although you and I prefer outdoor venues, we also can't forget that Nationals these days are indoors....I'm sure the various corps staff have this in mind as well...

But, I agree....solid catches on weapons are effective, whilst drops (or worse yet, drops with bounces) are not. :tongue:/>

What? Brasso dropped it and he bounces????:shutup:/>