Crown's 2013 show "E=mc2"

Sums up what?

I'd say the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, but that's for the corps' 2014 Aristotle show.

(Now I'll really freak if they decide to do that next year.)

Research the source material. It helps! Researching Einstein on the Beach will really help!

"Not going to do that. Sheesh... For a marching band show? rolleyes.gif"

I think that the above is what most people are going to say about your comment.

I don't think it's very reasonable to expect the casual fan to research the material.

Fortunately, I think Crown performs the program well enough that it is a show that can be just about good music, marching, spinning, drumming, and counting... satisfied.gif

I know that I enjoy it.

• Like 2

1. The majority of the music is called Einstein on the Beach, an opera by Phillip Glass. Phillip has been nominated for 3 Golden Globes (won 1) and 3 Acadamy Awards (won 0) for Best Original Score.

Einstein was a scientist who discovered the formula E = mc2. This formula means (per wikipedia):

"...the total internal energy E of a body at rest is equal to the product of its rest mass m and a suitable unit conversion factor which transforms units of mass to proportionate units of energy."

Naming the show E = mc2 was merely sticking with the Einstein theme.

2. The opener is commonly known from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey but is a more than 100 year old piece of music entitled 'Also sprach Zarathustra'. This piece was originally composed by Richard Strauss and was influenced by a Friedrich Nietzsch book called Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Again sticking with the psuedo-science/researcher concept.

3. The ballad is by Alan Silvestri who is a movie composer with a heck of a career (Back to the Future, The Abyss, Forrest Gump, Clan of the Cave Bear, Flight of the Navigator, Cast Away, Polar Express, and, of course, Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot). This movie is a sci-fi story of aliens living in the bottom of the ocean. For those paying attention, this was originally in Crown's 1995 production but was cut due to show length.

All of these pieces of music and the show title echo the over arching science-y concept of the show. Perhaps people don't know who Einstein was or that the music is called Einstein on the Beach. I get not liking it or not thinking it works, but people not being able to put it together?! Other than the connection between Strauss and Nietzsch I knew all this 20 years ago when I graduated high school. Perhaps it's not a bad thing to have to research the show if you don't know most of this already.

Edited by caliswift
  • Like 4

Energy equals Mass times the Speed of Light Squared. The show itself is very spacey in nature as well and makes a whole lot more sense than some other shows this year.

Funny thing is that E=MC^2 may be proved incorrect...

http://www.inquisitr.com/144267/scientists-say-emc2-might-be-wrong-say-neutrinos-are-faster-than-light/

Physicists working at CERN believe they may have discovered neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light. If the discovery is validated it would mean Albert Einstein’s special theory of relatively marked as E=MC^2 would be incorrect. Einstein states in his theory that nothing is able to travel faster than light.

After watching it online several times, I take it as a musical representation of the mind. There are parts that represent stream of consciousness, the analytical side of the brain, the emotional side of the brain, the profundity of thought, and elation of discovery.

• Like 4

http://www.inquisitr...ter-than-light/

Physicists working at CERN believe they may have discovered neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light. If the discovery is validated it would mean Albert Einstein's special theory of relatively marked as E=MC^2 would be incorrect. Einstein states in his theory that nothing is able to travel faster than light.

well La Tee Da Mister smarty pants. thumbup.gif

You gotta love Boo!

http://www.inquisitr.com/144267/scientists-say-emc2-might-be-wrong-say-neutrinos-are-faster-than-light/

Physicists working at CERN believe they may have discovered neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light. If the discovery is validated it would mean Albert Einstein’s special theory of relatively marked as E=MC^2 would be incorrect. Einstein states in his theory that nothing is able to travel faster than light.

Actually, their machines were not calibrated correctly during that experiment, and it has since been revalidated that Einstein was correct. I cannot quite remember the article that explains this, but it is out there. How do I know? I'm a physicist.

On the topic of the show, I enjoy it a lot. There are a lot of formations that just make sense for it to be an Einstein theme. Einstein was known to be extremely absent minded, and many of the forms and transitions show this. A seemingly random array of spinning lines can transition into a huge, beautiful curved form. This show might not have a story, but it does convey its theme quite well.

• Like 4

"Not going to do that. Sheesh... For a marching band show? rolleyes.gif"

I think that the above is what most people are going to say about your comment.

I don't think it's very reasonable to expect the casual fan to research the material.

Fortunately, I think Crown performs the program well enough that it is a show that can be just about good music, marching, spinning, drumming, and counting... satisfied.gif

I know that I enjoy it.

This is what I like in a show. For the casual fan, it is just entertaining. For those that WANT to delve deeper, there is much more. It is up to you whether or not you want to invest the time. The casual fans will not, but they will likely still enjoy the show. The big drum corps fans (the ones that buy the DVD's, etc.) will watch the shows many times and may dig deeper into the source music and other available background.

• Like 2

Show is simple to understand, without ballad of course. Show titled e=mc^2 and there's counting and a black board/marker board with formulas going around the field. /thread.

Now ballad narration and Abyss, you got me there. Maybe it's a science fiction tale of math and love? No that's not it...

• Like 3